KIMI | Page 21 | FerrariChat

KIMI

Discussion in 'F1' started by johngtc, Aug 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Such a good post-race atmosphere. So many fans really understanding and appreciating the moment for what it was. Lots of Tifosi relishing the win.

I saw more than a few disgruntled attendees in shiny new Mercedes gear shuffling out (some with price tags still attached because that is a thing?). Apparently they had paid to see LH's coronation and didn't notice a fabulous race.

NEP, daytona355, BigTex and 1 other person like this.
  2. F430_Mikli

F430_Mikli Rookie

Jul 17, 2017
    Vancouver Canada
    So Happy for Kimi!! :cool:

Makuono and Ryan... like this.
  3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Agreed! I hope he can get another this year. Once he goes to Sauber the end is near unless there is a lucky happenstance with rain like Vettel when he won his 1st race with STR the most unlikely team to win a grand prix. In fact STR has still not won a 2nd GP.................

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ferrari team has made many mistakes in 2018. I think letting go of Kimi is just another Ferrari mistake that will haunt them in 2019. Vettel isn't going to produce in 2019 and LeClerc doesn't have it yet. LeClerc is no Verstapen...

5. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Kimi's first time leaving Ferrari and this most recent time were and are not just simply due to issues with Kimi's performance. The truth the public will never know. If one simply looks at numbers then they're missing the truth entirely. Kimi, was then and even now very, very happy with his decision. I'm sad for Ferrari because of what they will now have to endure next season with a driver line up of an unproven kid and a veteran that has an obvious issue with handling pressure and is in no position to groom or mentor Leclerc. I'm super excited though to see how far Kimi takes Sauber and how many wins he'll get next year. :)

Makuono and G. Pepper like this.
  6. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Like for Rush 2112.

Nortonious and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  7. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    The last question is easily answered: none....
    How could anybody win in a Sauber at the moment?

daytona355 likes this.
  8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was in the MSG Sky Box, ironically with a wife of the Scuderia crew, the entire place erupted at the first turn after the start.

I faded &^*%% in every club I went to for my gear, Hammy's picture was on the $20 Race Program!!

Fans are smarter than you think.
    They wanted a race.
    They got one.

As stated in this thread, Kimi is a far smoother hand than the race results prove.
    And, IMO only, 3x the gentleman than Hamilton.

Huge celebration for him upon victory, and yet he was unchanged.
    "Better than finishing second"......:D :D :D

I will continue to update the rest in my personal Austin thread, it was SOME weekend.
    Sadly I had a VERY important appointment with Rice University Monday morning, or I would still be on South Congress, drinking!!

jgonzalesm6, NEP and daytona355 like this.
  9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I predict his Ferrari hats will be very popular, when they go on sale!!!!!

daytona355 likes this.
  10. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    At the moment, of course, none.

Next year........... ;-)

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Kimi beat Vettel in a Lotus on multiple occasions while Vettel had a superior car.

daytona355 and G. Pepper like this.
  12. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    And what do you think will change between this year and next year?

13. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    1.) Why did you specify Vettel?
    2.) Beating Vettel does not necessarily mean you win the race;)
    3.) How many cars other than Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull did end on the podium during the hybrid era? And more important, how many did actually win a race? Exactly...zero. So why does anybody think that Kimi will win in a Sauber???

14. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    When it comes to Kimi, there's no shortage of wishful thinking.

375+ likes this.
  15. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Next year we shall see if Ferrari made a mistake dropping Kimi. You have to give it to Kimi, he still loves to race and has talent!

william likes this.
  16. R2112

R2112 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2006
    TX
    Let's just say....you'll have to see ;-)

17. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I would not run to your local book-maker with this one...

daytona355 likes this.
  18. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Exactly...last year at this time people over here thought it was the biggest mistake in F1 history to keep Kimi instead of giving the seat to a young talent...
    At the beginning of the season people over her said that he is a useless no.2 unable to take away any points from Lewis and that he should be replaced by Leclerc...
    Now he is and again it is the biggest mistake in history because just because Seb did some mistakes all of the sudden Kimi is ten times better and would have easily won the WDC if he was backed by Ferrari...
    And now after he won his very first race (after 5 years!!!) all of the sudden he is the one that turns things around at Sauber

I like Kimi but I´d say whishful thinking might be even an understatement

mcimino, DF1 and daytona355 like this.
  19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, as an unshamed Kimi fan, I nevertheless have to say that I do agree with Peter.
    - On one hand, I was relieved that Kimi won one at last, because somehow seing him retire from the Scuderia without at least a win during his second spell would not have seemed right to me.
    - On the other, no-one in his right mind could deny that it took Kimi a looooooooooooong time to have his Mojo working again. Say whatever you will about the Scuderia errors, his number Two status, etc...fact is that it is only this year that suddenly I really believed that he could win again.

The evolution of his totals of points scored in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 (up to now) are interesting:
    55 (2014)
    150 (2015)
    186 (2016)
    205 (2017)
    221 (2018, so far)
    So yes, woke up he did; but gradually...this year is the first season that I found him convincing again (and I am a fan). My guess is that had this win come slightly earlier (let's say 2016 or 2017) he would not have been replaced, because he is hugely popular.

As to what he will do at Sauber, who knows? Most observers agree that he has a good technical feedback. One podium or two would be nice; but wins...far fetched, if you ask me.

Rgds

Makuono, NEP, william and 1 other person like this.
  20. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Kimi is my favorite driver and I think if you look at raw talent, Kimi has the most. When he shows up to race, no one can stop him. Its frustrating because I really feel that he has not been taking F1 seriously in last couple of years. This past weekend, we saw the old Kimi and showed how amazing he is. With crappy tires, he held off a hard charging Verstappen and Hamilton. Ferrari made a mistake!

mcimino and G. Pepper like this.
  21. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Always good to see Kimi smile. He actually cracked a couple while on the podium, and even gave a slight fist pump during the Italian anthem.

mcimino, Nortonious and G. Pepper like this.
  22. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    #523 Nortonious, Oct 24, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Kimi has endured a lot and gave us a race for the ages. Here's to a 1-2 finish in Mexico for Scuderia Ferrari.

23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Natural talent but far too sensitive and unable to drive around front end or most issues. FA has him beat as the most talented

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I really don't think the reference to the 2014 season and Fernando Alonso make sense nowadays. Granted, Fernando crushed Kimi in 2014, no question about it; but what does that prove today? That Fernando is more talented? Certainly not; that he was faster than Kimi in 2014. Nothing more, nothing less. What about their results and achievements since?

In 2018, that is this season, today, now, Kimi has a very good season as the perfect number two. Yes, that was the only season that he was operating at the level he should have performed during his entire second stint at Ferrari.
    But nevertheless, he has just scored a Grand Prix win and a number of podiums, and secured a seat for the next two seasons because it pleased him to do so. He is happy and immensely popular.

What about Fernando Alonso, the man who crushed him in 2014? He left the Scuderia on his own wish; since then, he never scored any podium again, has made known to the world that he would very much like a competitive car again, has made openeings to every team, but has found no team ready to give him a drive for next year and is exiting Formula One bitter and alienating everyone.

I don't know about you, but as for myself, I very much guess that Kimi has had the last laugh.

That being said...
    I state again, as a Kimi fan, that his level during the 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 season was a disappointment and not worth of his status. Had he performed in 2015 or 2016 like he is performing now, the end of the story might have been different.
    He is certainly not "the fastest man alive" that he was in 2005, but considering his 2018 season on one hand, and Vettel troubled season on the other, I think the Scuderia made a mistake by not keeping him for one more year, because he is rock steady as a number two, and a known quantity that can be trusted anytime. With Leclerc next year, Seb might have additional pressure to solve, and he has already enough pressure now.

Rgds

CRG125 and eric355 like this.