SPORT and AUTO mode: Nearly lost car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SPORT and AUTO mode: Nearly lost car

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Elsi, Oct 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I was always told that a bent rim indicates the likelihood of suspension damage. I once bent the edge of a steel rim on an old Fiat on a curb back in college and for sure had bent suspension parts. If just a very slow high angle glance or small scratch than another story. Suggest the OP get the underside looked at.

F12JAJ likes this.
  2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    It really depends. These days wheels are actually designed to bend before the limit of many of the suspension parts.

I was thinking more on the damage and I would certainly have the car's alignment checked. Its very possible the impact threw it out.

3. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    My mechanic thinks that no suspension parts should be bent (he was also on our tour and has seen the rim). But he will know as soon as the car has arrived at his shop. Of course he will check the alignment and correct if necessary. This is standard procedure.

4. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats very good. Its hard to tell when we are just talking via text. Some people might not do it. It's worth having checked. That won't reveal everything, but it's a good procedure when you've had wheel damage from a slide.

5. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thanks for caring!

I am in the lucky position to have an excellent mechanic. He runs his own shop, has more than 40 years of experience and works mostly on F-cars or other “exotics” and on race cars. Last time I was there he was working on a Porsche 959 and a Cobra was also there. He prepares and maintains the F3 car which his son is driving and he also cares about vintage F1 cars. You can ask him everything…

Next to his shop there is the mechanic of the turning wheel collection (one of the famous F-car collections). Some years back this guy was working on Niki Laudas former F1 car (312T) which is part of the collection together with a 250 GTO and many other vintage F-cars.

So I feel quite comfortable with my “ordinary” 458… :)

Markus

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  6. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    #31 Ky1e, Oct 23, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    Yes I'll be the downer. If someone loses the backend in Sport + Auto mode while being careful due to poor conditions, then there isnt much to say. No mode is going to save a driver who isnt capable. It's supposed to be an exotic performance sports car, it not a Honda MiniVan.

If you are truly unsure of drivers ability to handle the car then put it on Wet mode. That is the only mode that wont let the tires spin at all.

sfcorse likes this.
  7. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't think we should be too quick to judge. It's a new car to Markus. I don't know if they've changed it, but when I did the Corso Pilota we did skid pad work with F430s (yeah its been a few years!) and even in Wet mode, the car would allow you to slide it a little. Not sure about allowing wheel spin though.

8. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    I can appreciate that Markus is in Switzerland where there could be snow or ice, but like the poster above, if you are on a skid pad or very slick conditions a tire can slide sideways and can have nothing to do with wheel spin/mode but sideways grip and as a driver be aware of your feel. Yeah I'm a drive 90% of the time with CT and ESC off so I am skewed, but I think the topic is a mixture of ridiculous and embarassing.

9. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I've found that Auto is good to get out of the neighborhood without pissing off the neighbors. That's about it..

10. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Greetings from Switzerland :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

11. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    As I wrote in the first post of this thread I did 250 000 km with my Ferrari and Maserati RWD cars. I still remember how the dealer looked when I told him 15 years ago to mount winter tires on my Maserati 3200 and some years later on my 575M. As written, these cars were (are) my DD and when I started to drive the 3200 this was my only car. In summer and winter on dry and wet roads and on snow too because I had no other car. Never had them on a trickle charger because I was driving these cars all the time.

Oh and if you want to learn how to drive a RWD car don’t take a Ferrari. A 3200 with the old style turbos is much more “interesting” on wet roads and on snow…

If a car spins it’s always the drivers fault because you were assessing the conditions wrong or were not able to handle the car. One part was that it was really slippery and the other that the car did not react as I had expected. That was the reason why I started this thread to find out what I did wrong and how I need to adjust my expectations in such situations.

Markus

jem890 and Ash Patel like this.