488 Pista - qualifying demands | Page 8 | FerrariChat

488 Pista - qualifying demands

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Doctor Mark, Oct 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    Dealer left me a message last week (paraphrasing: "as a current owner of a 488 and a 458 Spider, you are on our VIP list. You qualify to be considered to be submitted for the 488 Pista Aperta all you have to do is also have a GT car. So if you buy a Lusso this month we can submit you for the Aperta to the factory. There are no guarantees they will give you an Aperta allocation as they make those decisions."

of2worlds likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Lucky you. Tell them to go pound sand. Even better, tell them you bought a lambo instead. Lol

3. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    What a deal...buy a car you will lose $100K on easy, to get your order in...but no guarantees. I'll take my chance on lotto tonight and feel better ;)

LARRYH and SoCal to az like this.
  4. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    It’s no wonder the younger generation is fed up with the Ferrari attitude, they’re all driving Lambos....Ferrari better wise up and put this arrogance in check.

5. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    I appreciate being called young :cool:

6. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Be a little patient and you will be spoiled for choice on pre-owned 488 Pista offerings, its not a limited edition car. By the way, Lamborghini aren't totally virtuous in this game either, in Japan if you want an SVJ order you must first buy an Aventador !!

of2worlds and SoCal to az like this.
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Oh I’m in no hurry. Got plenty of toys to tide me over for now.

8. ThePrince

ThePrince Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Canada
    Are they struggling that badly with moving Lussos? Is just greed or maybe both?

Look, we all know this happens because there's lots of folks out there who would jump on this opportunity in heartbeat; still, this is a new low for Ferrari in my opinion. Luckily there are other options out there which are actually better and amazingly significantly less expensive.

of2worlds, LVP488 and SoCal to az like this.
  9. Ky1e

Ky1e Formula 3

Mar 4, 2011
    FL
    got me... I told them on "on the list but no guarantees wasnt getting me an allocation so not interested."

of2worlds likes this.
  10. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I dont know there are "lots of folks" who would actually jump on this. A few for sure but not as many as you think. People aren't stupid. The car is nice but its not the car of all cars. It will be replaced by something faster, quicker, better looking a year or two after. And that car will be regular production and attainable. People are going to just sit it out if they cant get one. I know I am and know of others doing the same - just look at this thread- people are not playing the games.

Viperjoe likes this.
  11. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    For those in the US, curious if any dealers are saying the Factory has allocated all the Pista’s to customers?

Reason I ask are there dealers out there trying to get people to buy Lusso’s or order portofinos with no guarantee but “you will be on a list” when in fact the list is full.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  12. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Hah! They can have my allocation on the SVJ....pulled out of the coupe - making too many at 900.

Sent from my 16M

dustman likes this.
  13. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Except the "Pista Aperta" doesn't exist, your dealer rep must be new to use the word Aperta instead of the announced Pista Spider. Also, if it was a "factory requirement" there wouldn't be so much hesitation by your dealer.

Lambo is backed by VW Financial, which means easy credit. This is one reason you're seeing young folks driving Porsches and Lambos, especially on YouTube.

Here are the reasons for Lusso:
    1- Massive profit margin
    2- Car is not in-demand
    3- Lusso production does not impact 488 production, as Lussos (both V8 and V12 models) are built on the V12 assembly line. So they can sell you 2 cars without the Lusso impacting deliveries of the 488, whichever variant is ordered.

This entire thread brings me tears of joy. Been a long way since I got flamed for calling dealers out for their games in another thread. An educated consumer is a wonderful thing, except to dealers.

LARRYH, of2worlds, Ky1e and 3 others like this.
  14. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Wasn’t your point that they are artificially trying to make allocations seem scarce and eventually they will produce much more than they did for Speciale/SA so just ‘wait and you will get an allocation’? I don’t think there is any evidence for that yet - that may come in time but not so far.

This dealer’s comments don’t really impact either side of the argument - it is no shock to suggest that Ferrari have a criteria, buying a Lusso is part of it and even then he can’t guarantee an allocation because he suggests it has to be agreed by Ferrari; the dealer’s comments seem to confirm this picture though I must say, they seem to be pretty disingenuous to say the least.

The Lusso is very unlikely to be higher profit margin since its production is so low and there is some unique tech to it plus expensive compomentry. Pista will be the highest profit margin car by miles. Buying a Lusso proves someone is no speculator since the depreciation is higher and suggests someone is loyal to the brand. If by ‘not in demand’ you mean less demand against supply compared with other models, that must be true because the depreciation is higher. Since the upstairs V12 line can build V8 cars, your last point can’t be right.

15. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    What, you need to buy a highly depreciating car to show that you are loyal to the brand? What next, the little finger on a plate? This is BS of the highest order. Wake up and smell the roses my friend. Its just about the $$$.

boobernackle likes this.
  16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    No, I didn’t quite say that so might be an idea not to put your words into someone else’s mouth. Buying a Lusso is an evidence of being loyal to the brand - I.e. it is very unlikely someone buys a Lusso without any other benefits attached unless they want a four seat Ferrari. But it’s not the only test/criteria/evidence. I have a friend who has a Pista allocation on the back of buying three Speciales, no Lusso or even 488. The point about the Lusso is that this car was the subject of the comment above. Get a grip.

Automoblog likes this.
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    And another point, suggesting it is all about the $$$ is a statement of the obvious. This is a business not a charity. The question is whether they are so short term minded that they are prepared to burn customers to maximise profit in the short term or whether they have the good sense to be focused on long term profit maximisation. My guess is the latter, yours seems to be the former. We’ll know who is right in a few years.

18. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Only a sucker would buy a Lusso to get a Pista, by my reckoning. Unless they actually wanted a new 2+2, which hardly anyone does, which is probably why Ferrari is offloading them this way.

Nothing in Ferrari's lineup depreciates faster than a 2+2, and it has been that way since I started following 2+2's with the 365 GTC/4 of the early 70's.

I got an eleven year old rosso corsa/shields/tan Daytona 456M with 7K miles for $75K. Sticker came with the car: $237K new. Same sticker was on more common colors that were under $50K at the time.

Even if I had more money than God, I wouldn't buy a Ferrari 2+2 new.

Mbutner and Automoblog like this.
  19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    From where does all this "victim" mentality arise?
    Especially surprising to me among so many seemingly financially successful people here.
    Baffled.

20. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Good for you. This unfortunately has become the norm rather than the exception for Ferrari. There is far too much competition today for Ferrari and regular buyers will abandon them if they keep up their antics. The high end “privileged” will still get their pick of the limited litter but everyday buyers could move to other brands. When Luca stepped down the focus of the Brand changed. Other brands treat their customers a hell of a lot better and they’re putting out a product that rivals and in some cases surpasses what Ferrari has produced as of late. Time will tell but no marque is immune to falling.

IPO1 likes this.
  21. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    It made the local news, but that was before the internet. Still makes me smile when I think about it.

As to business decisions, I have no problem with Ferrari requiring one buy one vehicle before buying another one. What I have a disdain for is how that is delivered to the client.

There are many ways to communicate a policy and the posts here suggest they take the least optimal choices

Mbutner, Automoblog and of2worlds like this.
  22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    What I find difficult to understand is why Ferrari continues to push Lusso sales with artificial requirements to pad sales numbers. Then they restrict the supply of seemingly more popular 812 builds by the same employees on the same line. Simply accept the relatively poor market status of the Lusso and build that 812 quicker! The demise of the V12 version AWD Lusso is another curiosity to...

BarryK likes this.
  23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Because the only reason people want the 812 is cause they cant have it. The only reason people want the Pista is cause they cant have it. The only reason people want a Birkin bag is cause they cant have it. The only reason people want a 5711 is cause they cant have it.

This is Ferrari creating an artificial supply shortage to hype demand. Nothing new here.

stavura, boogie, Thecadster and 2 others like this.
  24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    OK, by that reasoning building ONE Lusso is too may.:D

25. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I actually like the Lusso. It would be a good DD for me. But not at 400k or whatever nonsense they think they can charge for it. You can get an FF for sub 200k now. Much less with low miles. Id get one of those if I was in the market for something like this.

LARRYH, stavura, Mbutner and 5 others like this.