Carb 308 Aeroquip Fuel Hose (Startlite) | FerrariChat

Carb 308 Aeroquip Fuel Hose (Startlite)

Discussion in '308/328' started by Hannibal308, Oct 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I will be swapping new hoses onto a carb 308. I have seen a couple 308s with what appears to be Aeroquip nomex braided Startlite fuel hose on them, but can't seem to find the threads where I saw these. Aeroquip hoses are in AN sizing. Has anyone done this? And any clue what the right AN sizes are for each of the the three different fuel hose sizes needed on a carb 308?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I didn’t use those but seems like a good idea. Not sure how an translates to metric. But I think they are different ID from inlet to tank return.

3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    The metric sizes are ID 5.5mm for the carbs/tank return line and ID 7.5/7.3mm for all the others (Euro car). In the Aeroquip catalogue I can find ID 0.22", which would perfectly fit the carb/tank return line. But the next size is ID 0.34" what would convert to 8.6mm. Much too big for the other lines (tank/filter/pump/carbs). Therefore no Startlite hose option.

BTW. What is the third size on a US-car?

Best from Germany
    Martin

absostone likes this.
  4. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    The hose sizes from another thread were listed as 5/16" for all carb and pump/filter lines, with the exception being the post carb return line at 1/4". That very closely matches what you posted in metric. The three additional lines are fuel filler neck to crossover hardline and the two tank to crossover hardline hoses listed as 5/8".

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    While I cannot find those sizes in the current Aeroquip catalogue; even if they exist you probably won't get happy with these sizes. They simply arent't tight enough for the fittings of our cars.
    I once installed ID 8mm only to find out, that I could twist them on the fittings no matter how much I torqued the clamps. Especially with the engine being hot and therefore high engine compartment temperatures. No good feeling.
    Now I have Wurth FPM/ECO lines in 7.5/5.5mm on my car and SRI crossover hoses and filler neck. Peace of mind.

Best from Germany
    Martin

6. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Very good advice. Thank you!

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  8. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    As Martin pointed out, these hoses are too stiff to use over the hose barbs. You could convert to -AN fittings.......

9. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I should say, "too stiff to 'make something work'".

10. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    I ordered AN4 and AN6 in short sections to test it with ABA hose clamps...I have a carb set, BCD fuel pump, and FIAMM filter on a bench to test them with. Likely won’t work but there are cars out there with the Startlite on them, so worth a try. You’re right about switching to AN banjos and barbs from Belmetric as an inexpensive option.

11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Well. I honestly didn’t think it would work, but Aeroquip Startlite hose in AN6 size does slide on the fitting well. It slides on easily but there is no gap or play at all. Then, when the clamps are snugged down, I can’t even turn the hose on the fitting nor pull it off no matter how I try.

I hate frayed ends, so I cut short lengths of PTFE shrink wrap to neaten the cut braided ends before sliding the ABA 13mm clamps over the ends. Looks tidy.

I will be swapping my carb lines and right tank return for this set up first as the constricted AN4 return line and the AN6 carb lines should have the highest pressures. Then I’ll watch them like a hawk for a few hundred miles before doing all the others.

If this works well this should be a nice modern alternative to the Volkswagen/BMW braided cloth that apparently breaks down fairly readily with modern fuels.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Looks good. Now choose a different color for the shrink wrap :)
    BTW. The BMW/VW-hose you mention is indeed outdated. But there's a meanwhile widely available -at least over here- alternative for modern crap fuel.
    DIN 7339-E3 or SAE J30R9.
    The material is the same. Though the DIN variant would be the best for our applications regarding metric diameter dimensions.

Best from Germany
    Martin

13. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Sorry, a mistake in the DIN above. Should be DIN 73379-3E.

Best Regards
    Martin

14. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    To avoid the cloth hose ends from fraying, cut them cleanly with a sharp blade or hose cutter and then wet the outer rim of the exposed cloth hose with some crazy glue. The the glue will soak into the ends and bond the neighboring strands of cloth braid stopping fraying before it ever gets a chance to get started.

15. myronx19

myronx19 Formula Junior

May 27, 2012
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Full Name:
    Myron Samila
  16. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
  17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  18. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Martin:

I put the 6AN black nomex braided Aeroquip Startlite hose (posted above) on both an original BCD Corona fuel pump barb and on my Hardi pump barb, secured with an ABA 13mm clamp. I could not pull the hose off no matter how I tried. I could turn it, with a lot of effort, on the Hardi pump, but not at all on the BCD pump barb. When the hoses were removed, the inner edges were free of cuts or indentations and no other damage from clamping was noted. Am I wrong in thinking these should work, or at least worth a try? Anyone else see a problem?

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #19 Martin308GTB, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Will,

from what you report, definitely worth a try. Regarding the fittings and barbs, remember, that these are not precision manufactured and often differ a bit. Surface plating matters too.
    But since you tell, that you can turn the hose on the Hardi fitting only with a lot of effort, I'm sure, that this disappears and that after a while the hose will be firm and tight. At least this is my experience. I could turn all the hoses on my car immediately after fitting them. This also because, firstly I do not torque the clamps in Gorilla style and secondly always use some lubrication to install the hoses. Formerly silicone spray. No more, because it takes forever to disappear. Today just a drop of fuel. What means, that, like said, I can turn the hose on the fitting immediately after installation, but no more a few days and heat-cycles later.

That said, the 308, especially the carb car is no F-16 ;-) though I have custom-made drysump oil lines in my car, made from the stuff Airbus uses for their hydraulics :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

20. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Full Name:
    Will
    Very nice to know. I will definitely be making my Dry Sump oil lines from the Aeroquip fittings and this Startlite hose. I've already found the correct adapters to mate AN to the oil fittings and banjos without needing to weld new fittings on the cooler.

21. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Even better - Loctite make a black crazy glue (cyanoacrylate) -- Loctite 480

Hannibal308 likes this.
  22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Not only black, but even formulated for using on rubber, remaining a bit flexible.

Best from Germany
    Martin