Montana registration crack-down | FerrariChat

Montana registration crack-down

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Terence Courtnage, Oct 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terence Courtnage

Oct 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Terence Courtnage
    neil e dale likes this.
  2. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Maybe, just maybe, if they made their taxes reasonable people would not even consider going this route.

3. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    +1 agreed.

Be nice if they capped the percentage at $100k or so.

It's a lot easier to stomach $7,000 than $20,000+ .....or well over six figures on the hyper cars.

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Although taxation is theft, it was just a matter of time.

cwall and neil e dale like this.
  5. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks for posting; I assume other states will follow.

I wonder what the car was she could not pronounce the name of? I would bet Koenigsegg

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The Montana tax dodge started out with golf pros and tour buses. (It never worked for planes and less so for yachts.) It then turned into a cottage industry for one Montana attorney. Indeed what he says is true — for Montana. However, I’ve never seen a state that buys into the hype on their home turf. States vary on the amount of time, but if you are a resident and keep the car in state, they will bust you. If you are a licensed professional, like a CPA, having a misdemeanor rap can be problematic. YMCAWV

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I wonder if they will go after RV owners as well. I think there are a lot more big buck RVs with Montana plates than exotics. Colorado has pretty high property tax on new vehicles but they decline over time per a formula until they are near zero after 10 years so pretty friendly to car collectors. Depending on where you live, however, sales tax can be over 8% or slightly under 3%.

8. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I live in California and the tax freight is high. My view is that if you can afford to buy the car you can afford to pay the tax. No need to play games. And if you want to move to Montana, that would be good too.

9. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm on RVer and on RV forums. This is super common. Lots of $500K + RVs registered in Montana.

F430 Driver, cwall and psych0hans like this.
  10. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    We will see what happens in court. This was a poorly written article. The author mixes up LLCs and residency like it was a fruit salad. I doubt this is the first time Georgia has made a stink about this. My question is what law or laws being broken when the car belongs to a Montana LLC and is duly registered in that State?

I agree that it is a tax shelter for exotics, RVs and buses but does Georgia have a law that says that cars duly registered in other States to a business can't be driven on their roads?

11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Exactly what I was thinking Joe. You can pay now or pay it later . Later is going to hurt a lot more.

neil e dale and Texas Forever like this.
  12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It sounds like they're doing their homework. To prove in front of a judge the law is being flouted. Nobody is going to deny out of state tags on their roads.. the spirit of the action as it appears is you live in Georgia, your drivers license is in Georgia, the car is in Georgia, the car has BEEN in Georgia since you registered the car. The rules are you must register your car in state after 30 days of living there.

I've never understood doing it unless you have a fleet of exotics... but whatever. I always thought it was a silly scheme that wouldn't last forever. My annual taxes on the 360 are like $30 in SC.

davemqv, psych0hans, DF1 and 5 others like this.
  13. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nuts.............all my cars are registered in Montana.

tonyc, norcal2, neil e dale and 4 others like this.
  14. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    it like anything else.....

how much are you willing to spend to defend yourself even if your right ?

GA apparently just started an amnesty program and sounds like they are pulling over montana plates on site to gather info.

15. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    So will mine one day. I registered a 69 land rover in montana, which qualifies for a one time, lifetime registration, forget exactly how much it cost but it was around $100.

16. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Vince, my 83 Ferrari has date of manufacture plate. At the time I paid 50 bucks if I remember correctly and lifetime plate. Look into that also.

neil e dale likes this.
  17. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    That is exactly what I have, a lifetime plate. don't even need to renew a sticker every year. It's now about a $100. Can't wait to bring the 72 eldo up there and cruise summer and fall.

cwall and neil e dale like this.
  18. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    So I'm taking it that you never drive on public roads...

If you don't have taxes, you don't have infrastructure. If you don't have infrastructure, you don't have a government. If you don't have a government, you don't have a nation. And I kind of like being an American, so let's not abolish the United States just yet.

Having said that, taxes should be reasonable. I love California, but the "soak the rich" mentality of our state legislature is detrimental to the long term economic growth of our great state.

Beez, davemqv, Jon Von Bon and 5 others like this.
  19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Ouch. Dustin is big on IG - he owns ATV/motorsports dealerships - posts a lot of his cars, private jet stuff, etc. Looks like he's living The Dream. Downside is that he's already put hundreds if not thousands of posts of his cars out there - at his house in GA - so denying it would be problematic...

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I don't know GA laws, but in MA the issue is where you garage the vehicle. If you garage it in Massachusetts and drive it on Massachusetts roads, you owe Massachusetts sales (upon purchase) and yearly excise tax. You can have a LLC on the moon, but if you don't garage your car there, you owe excise tax.

21. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Pulled his IG...

ryalex likes this.
  22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Probably yes. I’m only familiar with Texas and a few other states. Generally, each state gives you a holiday before you must register your car after you bring it in. No problem if you paid sales tax to the old state. Big problem if you haven’t, such as Montana.

BTW, in most states sales tax evasion is a misdemeanor.

Please understand, I don’t think it’s right. But your state doesn’t give a damn what I think.

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Big time. Several states monitor RV boards. They may even monitor FerrariChat.

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Oh and to your question as to business registrations, many states like Texas, have a look through provision.

25. Jeff3545

Jeff3545 Karting

Sep 4, 2018
    SF Bay Area and South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff Nolan
    you just take your crazy talk outa here and stop that nonsense. You should know that everyone pays their fair share and some pay more than their fair share and a few pay everyone’s share.

Manda racing, tonyc, VColin and 4 others like this.