Toolboxes? | FerrariChat

Toolboxes?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Kevin Rev'n, Oct 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I know there is the Garage Journal thread that everyone points to and I will get around to reading that but.
    I am in a situation where I am wanting some more storage for tools. I really want a big snap on setup but dont like the idea of parting with that much cash. Used out here is about 4K! So for that kind of money I can line my entire wall with craftsman stuff and would look good and be very functional if I put a countertop on them. Plus I have a double stack craftsman box now so it would match.
    I guess I am wondering if anyone has bought any craftsman boxes and been disappointed? It is a sort of harsh environment out here and mine is about 15 years old and looks it unfortunately. So I am curious if there is any fresh input from F-Chat.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I absolutely LOVE my high-end Craftsman tool boxes. I have the roller-bearing glide ones, a bottom on casters and a top one with smaller drawers. They've served me well for 15 years.

I actually popped off the "Craftsman" emblem, drilled holes and mounted a Ferrari emblem.

Matt

BOKE and SAFE4NOW like this.
  3. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Check out your local Harbor Freight. Their top of the line boxes are pretty damned nice.

Northern Tool's Montezuma line is pretty damned nice, too.

4. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There is no harbor freight out here. We have extremely limited choices for everything!

5. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Bummer... have a Home Depot? They sell Extreme Tools boxes. They look pretty good.

6. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I had a snap on before I sold it and moved all my tools into my craftsman box. They’re nice and the more expensive ones have nice drawers, rollers, etc. but the warranty for replacement is real good

7. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I must say that the large Husky tool boxes are very nice. Lots of storage and the drawers are well made. I have been enjoying mine for several years. Great price on these as well.

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  8. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    I have a 44-inch HF tool box. It works well for me.

9. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  10. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Lowe's sells craftsman tools, and tool boxes.

msdesignltd likes this.
  11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I loved my craftsman stuff from 30 years ago and whenever I had to replace a rachet handle I would just get the mechanical part and replace it. Then they started to replace the entire handle and it was of lesser quality. Their screwdrivers were worse as well. It's just a shame what has happened to Sears, there were a staple for my dad when the family needed an appliance, tool, mower and tires. Kenmore was a quality product as was craftsman. Pity.

I go to HF for my thriwaway stuff, but don't trust their quality when I need a strong wrench.

BOKE likes this.
  12. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Yeah, 30 years ago we would break our old craftsman tools and enjoy getting new ones replaced for free!
    Was not easy to break a screwdriver!

BOKE likes this.
  13. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Sears sold the Craftsman line to Black & Decker last year. That is why you see them in Lowes these days. Most of the line before Sears sold the line was made in China. I looked at a tool box in Lowes last week and it was marked as Made in USA with imported parts.

14. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I saw that too but it seems like here they are only bringing in the shallow ones that are 18" deep. I have put the toolbox on the back burner until a future date and am going to use the funds to put AC in the garage instead.

15. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    OK I vacillated back and forth on what to do about the tool box upgrade and then found myself in a Home Depot ad and saw these Husky units so I grabbed a few to solve the workspace and tool storage issue. I had planned to bolt them together but already the gaps have proven useful when I had some clamped wood and the clamps fit in the gaps! So I will leave it like this for a while. The 11+ feet long by 2 feet wide work surface is awesome! I need to figure out some kind of backsplash that looks good and is functional but that is pretty far down the list.

I am impressed with the heft and construction of these. So much so that if they ever bring the larger units over here I may get one of those too. There are some really nice ones that you mainland guys can get from your Home Depot but they dont ship the really big stuff out here. I would say the quality is better than my craftsman stuff but i have the older boxes before they started with all the pro lines and offerings.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bob in Makiki, Smiles and BOKE like this.
  16. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    I've had a similar Husky one now for about 4 years, it's been good, no complaints.

17. 76Steel

76Steel Formula 3

Sep 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Kevin, those Husky boxes are made very well indeed. I also have the same garage creeper, so great minds think alike :). Enjoy!

Kevin Rev'n likes this.
  18. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    JP365, daytona355 and Solid State like this.