F1 Vs. 6 Speed Manual | FerrariChat

F1 Vs. 6 Speed Manual

Discussion in '348/355' started by Laserman, Oct 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have been thinking about banging my head against the wall and purchase a F355. However, I know the manual box is supposedly better. However, has anyone driven both versions and can compared contrast the performance of both?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have and it comes down to personal preference. There is not a whole lot of performance gain to be had with either one. Do you want to feel more involved and in control? If so, 6 speed is for you. I have worked on both systems and the F1 system is more finicky to service. It just has more stuff to remove and install.

Good luck.

ernie likes this.
  3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    I have owned both. I prefer the manual for the increased driver involvement and less potential issues. There are not many technicians that know what they are doing if and when the F1 system throws problems - which mine did, which took 3 different techs to solve, plus alot of head scratching and $$.

In saying that a well running F1 is great, and I like the fact that it is still cable operated throttle so you retain alot of driver involvement if you rev match your perfect downshifts. In Australia they are also considerably less desired and hence alot cheaper so if you can give up the stick you get alot of car for less money.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    No wrong answer. I own both. While my gated car is in pieces, I had a third and enjoyed it. But, I also greatly enjoy my F1 which shifts super quick.

5. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Tons of threads on this.

It isn’t a cut and dried answer or choice between the two. The 355 is a special car and like the 550/575 are the special set where it is absolute joy and appropriate to have a stick yet they can pull off the paddle as a “modern” experience. Sorta like also being able to have the rag top sitting on top of the car instead of being tucked into a steel body work. The 355 can pull off both.
    I can have a ton of fun in the 355 all day without breaking the speed limit in either configuration.

I am leaning to the F1 being my favourite system though.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I owned both but prefer my F1.
    You will like both .
    This is really a personal choice.

7. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I bought my 1998 355 GTS F1 primarily for the F1 transmission. I wanted to shift like the Michael.;)
    I really like the F1 system in my 575M as well, but I also enjoyed the crap out of the 3 pedal setup in my 328 and 550 too.

G. Pepper and crinoid like this.
  8. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I really enjoy the manual in my 355. Makes me feel like im more part of the driving experience in the car. I have the next generation F1 in my 612 and it seems more suited to the luxury car feel though a 6 speed manual in the 612 would be awesome.

9. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    If you want to own it forever... buy the gated car. If you want to sell it .... buy the gated car... if you want it right now.. buy the f1.

mathewr, Little Joe and Texas Forever like this.
  10. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I don’t think has ever been covered before on this forum. Great topic!

haha.

kenneyd, BOKE, taz355 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Laserman

Laserman Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    It was not my intention to start a controversial subject. I am an engineer and try to only deal in data driven decisions (no emotions). I understand that the F1 has the potential for more maintenance issues. However, I am looking for the fastest reacting shift system . As I understand the system is only a single clutch and can not perform like a double clutch system. I am use to a 370Z with rev match that performs superbly. All though I believe I can handle the shifting requirements I want my wife to be happy as well. I know most of us need to keep a significant other pleased as well. She is a good manual shifting driver but I want her to enjoy the vehicle as well.

With that said, there are many more F1 systems availabe than Manual 6 speeds at better prices. I won't go into the marginal engineering I have observed regarding the exhaust system. It is my intent to purchase a vehicle that has Headers, cats and guides replaced if possible. The rest of the maintenance is manageable.

Laserman

BOKE likes this.
  12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    ...there are many more F1 systems availabe than Manual 6 speeds at better prices...

It is that way for a reason.

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Mitch, one of the highest 355 sales within the last year was an F1 and the buyer won.

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Get an F1
    Get it sorted
    Go enjoy it and understand it.

If you are not going to do all three get a non F1

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    one bird does not a spring make

16. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    taz355 and Dave rocks like this.
  17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes but you just sold it so you could buy it back for more money

18. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I'm done with sports cars. My new fun car is a Tesla Model S P100D.

19. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  20. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Texas Forever and Dave rocks like this.
  21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Well if you have a museum piece and the buyer is happy with it, then good for you. Personally, I really would not look at an 355 F1 at any price. I knew a recent owner who gave back his 458 to buy a 355, and his most important requirement is a 6 speed. He found one, and is happy. I am very sure he would not buy your F1 for any amount of money.

About the only F1 I would consider getting stuck with is a 360CS. Although, with those cat converters running at $13,000 a set, I am not sure I even want that car. A very recent sale of a way above average F1 355 went for $60k. So, there are more data points than just your car and most of it does not favor the F1.

vrsurgeon, Texas Forever and getragV8 like this.
  22. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Whatever. Some people prefer vanilla over chocolate ice cream, Baskin-Robbins has 31 flavors for some reason.
    Your opinion is valid for you. I find your F1 bashing to be ignorant. Your posts seem to express your desire to bring market prices down, which is pretty stupid if you are an owner IMHO.

Steve355F1 and tres55 like this.
  23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Let's agree to disagree. You don't need to call me stupid. I am not buying anything from you and you are not buying anything from me.

24. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I didn't call you stupid, just your constant price and F1 bashing posts are stupid. Agree to disagree is cool with me Mitchell. I owned a 355 F1 for over 20 years and own a 575M F1 car along with a couple of 3 pedal Ferraris and a bunch of other cars with automatics and manual transmissions. Opinions are like @ssholes, everybody has one.;)

Steve355F1 and mathewr like this.
  25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #25 Dave rocks, Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Exactly. The F1 bashing from some is really tiring. Mine runs fantastic and it's a joy to drive. This year alone, 2 F1 cars set market high price points. Most 355 owners are 1st time owners and in the offerings of Ferrari, they are considered a low entry point purchase. Collectors or others that appreciate the cars are willing to pay top dollar for pristine examples.

Steve355F1, tres55 and taz355 like this.