Ticking noise | FerrariChat

Ticking noise

Discussion in '308/328' started by Mark Young, Oct 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark Young

Mark Young Rookie

Sep 5, 2018
    lawrencetown NSCanada
    Full Name:
    Mark Young
    Hi Folks

Just looking for some possible cause for engine noise.(valve noise frequency)

It sounds just like a valve out of adjustment, so I had the valves check, all were within spec.
    The next thing I will look at is the valve timing, I am going to do the timing belt, tensioner pulley and the
    water pump this winter anyway. I hope that will fix the ticking.

If not, is anyone aware of 308 2 valve engine having any valve train weakness. IE: valve guides slipping etc.
    or possibly another cause that sounds just like a valve.

I did have the engine/transmission overhauled 20,000 miles ago and stainless steel valves were installed.

Any advice well be appreciated
    Thanks
    Mark

2. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Most likely AC belt snapping due to setting for a while. Had this happen to my QV after sitting for two months. About had heart failure when I first heard it! Let the car warm up for a bit, belt will become pliable again hand noise will go away. Very common.

FrannyB likes this.
  3. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Does your car have emission parts. My car developed a tiny air leak in the air rail that sounded like valve ticking. I patched it with a piece of aluminum and a small hose clamp. I found replacement air rails but no time to install yet.

waymar likes this.
  4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Check AC belt as stated above. Spraying WD-40 on the belt should make the noise go away.

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Putting a petroleum-based product on a rubber belt isn't the best idea...

If the belt is making noise, I'd recommend finding the root cause of the problem and addressing it. IE, replace the belt, the pulley, etc.

Oengus and waymar like this.
  6. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    If it is the belt. Could be alignment and/or tension.

7. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    It's a good idea if you want to quickly find the problem. If it's not the problem, I wouldn't worry too much about 10W oil staying on there very long.

8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Negative. The AC belt is known to cause this tapping noise. There is a plastic component to the belt that makes this tapping noise when it cracks. Sounds like a valve hitting a piston.

Spraying WD-40 on the belt will make the noise go away. This is called a test. Once the problem has been clearly identified, of course the belt should be replaced. I didn't think that part would need to be explained. :)

9. Mark Young

Mark Young Rookie

Sep 5, 2018
    lawrencetown NSCanada
    Full Name:
    Mark Young
    Thanks folks,

I will look at that, never thought that the AC belt could be an issue. I am replacing the timing belts this winter.
    I think while I am in there I will have a good look at everything and replace the belts on spec.

I am also going to boroscope the cylinders to check for damage, if anything for my own piece of mind.

Thanks guys
    Mark

10. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    That will teach you to think! Explain everything! ;-)

[QUOTE="spicedriver, post: 146268436, member: 100735"
    snip
    Spraying WD-40 on the belt will make the noise go away. This is called a test. Once the problem has been clearly identified, of course the belt should be replaced. I didn't think that part would need to be explained. :)[/QUOTE]

11. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    When my waterpump went bad it also made a ticking noise. Once I put the HD stethoscope on it (5/8 pvc pipe from HD) it was clear this was the problem.

12. Ian Bishop

Ian Bishop Karting

Dec 3, 2017
    It's a very common noise on any 308 engine given the angles for the belts. Cold belts exacerbates the issue. Rather than WD40, there is a CRC BELT CONDITIONER which is a better solution as it does not add grease/oil to the belt. Will solve the problem for an extended period of time.

13. PDB

PDB Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    Leicestershire, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Have you checked your exhaust manifold joints? A blowing joint can sound just like a mechanical ticking if it’s only a small leak and the frequency would match your description.

Paul

14. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    I had a ticking that turned out to be a nut missing from the exhaust header. Had to put up on a lift to discover it.

IMO NEVER use WD/40 on a timing belt. A spray bottle with water in it would work for a belt test.

Try looking for the simple issues before running off to the dealer.

15. Mark Young

Mark Young Rookie

Sep 5, 2018
    lawrencetown NSCanada
    Full Name:
    Mark Young
    Thanks guys, I will take a look at everything you folks have suggested. Like I mentioned I'm
    replacing my timing belts and associated hardware/parts this winter. Checking the AC should be fairly
    easy. I will just remove the belt.
    I'm really hoping it is nothing internal/ fingers crossed.

Once again, thanks guys for all the helpful info.
    Cheers
    Mark

16. Mark Young

Mark Young Rookie

Sep 5, 2018
    lawrencetown NSCanada
    Full Name:
    Mark Young
    Hi folks
    Thanks for the replies.

However, I found that my problem could have been far more catastrophic.
    While doing the timing belt change I found that the lower drive pulley for the front bank was improperly installed
    by the company that did my last service.
    The "key" that locates the drive pulley onto the shaft was improperly installed allowing the pulley to move and over the course
    of a few thousand miles it slowly wore out a space on the inside of the pulley.
    The drive pulley was moving 27 degrees back and forth on the shaft. So you can imagine what that did to my timing. I always
    felt that one side of the engine was fighting the other.
    To the plus, all compression checks are good and a boroscope of the cylinders are good. Counting my blessing.

Looking forward to this years driving season
    Cheers
    Mark