Robs 308 GT4 Clutch Service Adventure Take 2 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Robs 308 GT4 Clutch Service Adventure Take 2

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertgarven, Sep 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That spacer or one of the spacers should just slide on to the shaft and rest up against the retainer clip (I think you call that a C ring).

absostone likes this.
  2. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    The spacer has a cut out on the back which is supposed to slide over retainer clip. I can also get it on there but not. I thought someone may have a trick. I will post a photo of the back. I do remember this from before. Here is a photo from my 75.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    if it does go over and past the c clip, are you sure the c clip is seated far enough to let the spacer pass? BUT how did you get the spacer past the clip when the bell housing was removed?

4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Here is the DIY doc I used last time. Wish I had remembered to read it this time!!! Ha

The space slips over the c ring and is flush with the back it says it in here.

Attached Files:

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008

go to 27 min

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    spacer stops at clip

7. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Rob,

Glad to see you back in Ferrari action, although I do envy your rock star diversion.

I want to take you up on your offer of a searchable GT4 parts book, but I can' figure out how to send a PM on this new site. I tried your old earthlink emall address but it bounced back. I think you have my email address, or can somebody tell me how to send a PM in this site?

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I think you have to subscribe before you can access some advanced features

9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #34 robertgarven, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Friends,

I ordered a bunch of parts and measured the retainer washer and the c ring retainer clip. Here are the measurements. I measured the c-ring retainer clip with the calipers as loose then pressed them together and with not much force got a smaller OD than the ID of the washer. I ordered a new c-ring hoping it will be tighter....

Not to scale and all in mm.

In the 1974 book TAV 20 #15 has 3 of these retainer washer parts with 3.75, 4.00, and 4.25mm specs. I am thinking they must be how deep the cut out is to make the difference for different width lower bearings????? mine was 3.7 maybe the 3.75 one ?????

When I removed the bell housing the retainer washer came with the bearing and the c-ring clip stayed on the shaft.

Rob

Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    not sure rob, are you saying the hollow washer space wont seat over the clip, or why would you need a different distance now?

11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I've been giving this some thought.

You say you don't want to take the pressure plate off, but I'm thinking THIS may be your issue. There was a "trick" (no pun intended considering this is Halloween night :) ) that putting in Daytona pressure plate/friction disc setups would prevent any slippage. Those V-12s and these V-8s can interchange clutches, the drillings and sizes are the same. They (Chinetti) did this for the LeMans GT4. Obviously, because it was meant for considerably more power, the diaphram spring in the Daytona plate is going to be considerably stiffer (and often a criticism of how "manly" the Daytona was to shift). This could be why there's so much difference in effort between your two cars.

As for the snap-ring, there may be a nick, or it could be bent along it's plane, preventing it from dropping into the grove completely, thus preventing the collar to pass over it. If you've re-used the original snap-ring, it may be bent out of round, which would also not fit into the recess of the collar.

I see they put a "cushion" on the coolant pipe. I had the same issue with my GT4...

12. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I should've also said that, because it's been so many years, I can't remember, but when I look at your photo with the snap-ring on the input shaft, to me, that gap looks too wide. I'm sure it was much closer (the ends of the snap-ring I mean) when I did my clutch... That's why I'm thinking that it may be not perfectly round and why the collar won't slip over it.

13. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

Where do I start. My original reason for doing this whole procedure was to make the clutch on my 1974 euro GT4 as positive feeling as on my 1975 US version. I played with the linkages before I started to no avail. Now that I have the bell housing off I found the TO bearing collar was correct. I am left with the shaft and welded on lever which is for a later 308 GTB. I assume this new part has a different geometry, length or fixed angle, designed or the new system but I don't know. I thought removing it would be easy, but one of my good friend and parts guy has one in a bell housing but he said it is impossible to remove the taper pins. I am hoping someone has there car up on a rack or stands and can help me analyze if there is any difference between the length and angle of the two shaft levers and angles. I certainly dont want to spend tons of time and money on switching this lever out only to find that it is exactly lie the one I want just welded on. I dont think Ferrari would have changed it unless the new one served a purpose. I also dont want to reassemble everything just to find out I can never get a good clutch feel with the newer style shaft and welded on lever. Of course I have my test car right next to this but no way of getting it off the ground as I only have enough space and tools for one car. I will try to find a local with a lift to see if I can determine this on my own, but not sure if I can find one.

Also here is the inside of that washer we have been talking about, you can clearly see the cut out that slides over the snap ring on the shaft.

Confused,

Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    my car is on a lift,,, I can send you a pic in 20 seconds tell me exactly what you want

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I can mic some measurements as well

16. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I am an idiot seriously! I went out to the garage and had the shaft out in less than two taps and a minute. I am determined to put all the correct parts back. Every time I have done that before, it solved my problems. My next goal is to make sure I dont have this updated clutch pressure plate...which was made exclusively for the soft clutch upgrade. It looks very different in this SB diagram, but on line the parts look exactly alike.....

Thanks for all your support and advice!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
  18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Rob the guitarist ADD in me is kicking in. so you thought the clutch was too hard and you want to change the parts to make it softer and at the same time the bearing spacer wouldn't fit back in and now you took the bell housing off and what?

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Rob,

I can't remember that job but have done it a bunch in the old days. The race fits in the case and is stopped by a flange of aluminum case. The spacer fits over the C clip. The lower bearing is stopped by the spacer riding over and capturing the clip so it does not grind into the case. That's how I remember it. Use you spacer that you have and assemble then prussian blue the gears to make sure the mating is good and then you are done. Make sure the c lip can be rotated in the shaft land ensuring it is fully seated. It is possible to bung up the c clip so that it rotates too freely and is too big so you can't get the spacer over. If that happens get a new c-clip. If you are just a few thou out you heat the spacer in your toaster oven at 300F for 10 mins then it will slip right over the c clip.

ernie and robertgarven like this.
  20. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    No I want to remove ALL the soft clutch parts and make it stock like my other GT4 which feels excellent. The clutch on this one feels terrible. I had a similar problem on my other one and after I replaced all the parts with the originals it was perfect, hoping for the same outcome on this beautiful GT4! Thats all, sorry for the confusion.

We were talking about the retainer clip and the washer not fiting over it. I ordered a new retainer ring, hoping that fits inside my existing washer.

21. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I know some guys like the soft clutch upgrade but not me. It eliminates the free play in the pedal, and I never thought it took too much leg pressure to begin with...
    Plus I am a sucker for the helper spring assembly, and its adjustment hole!!!!!! I appreciate all of you holding my had through this as I build up my confidence after so long a break!!!

Attached Files:

absostone likes this.
  22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Cool. Then according to your diagram demensions the problem is the clip is slightly open like Peter said

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Robert. I just did this on my 328 and the spacer does fit over the retainer clip. On a GT4, the clip has to be removed before the bell housing comes out and that tends to distort them (it is frustrating to remove that sucker so we lever too hard). Just get another one and refit it. Do torque the large 4 ring nut (get a new one from Ricambi, $40) to 180 Nm.

Really, while you are at this stage, replace the Rear Main Seal. The labor is free at this point. Might as well check the flywheel thickness and the clutch thickness too. Peter can tell you what the specs are. I have forgotten !!!

Good luck GT4 fanatic.

24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Rob where are you????!!!!!

25. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Rob, I just sent you an email...

I have very strong feelings that your pressure plate is the culprit in this incident.