360 alarm siren | Page 3 | FerrariChat

360 alarm siren

Discussion in '360/430' started by JPN800, Jun 21, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You guys REALLY think some honking siren is going to matter? That's not the type of thief you need to worry about. As I said before, if you're worried about theft get a GPS tracker into the car.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303567704577518653030730754.html?mod=WSJ_Autos_LS_Autos_4

"Most feared by car owners are professionals who use sophisticated gear—including electronics that can intercept or replicate key codes, and flatbed trucks to pluck cars off a street or lot.

Such pros who target luxury cars often intend to export the vehicles, after changing the vehicle identification numbers and swapping out onboard computers, said Christopher McDonold, a former Baltimore County, Md., detective and past president of the International Association of Auto Theft Investigators"

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    My feeling too, although I'd implement an easy fix without buying the Ferrari part if such a fix were to exist.

3. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    For all of you guys who have replaced the siren can you tell me the procedure? Disconnect battery switch, replace, reconnect? Then some door/lock button action or nothing needed?

If it's listed somewhere and I would be better served reading the manual/etc. I'd appreciate pointers as well.

Thank you!

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Dan—- I’ll be doing same thing when my new siren arrrives.

5. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    You don’t need to disconnect the battery switch. The siren is wired into the power separate from the switch.

You’ll see that even with the battery switched off, if you reconnect the siren, it’ll chirp. So, just remove the front firewall cover, loosen the 2 nuts that secure the siren to the mounting tabs, disconnect the plug from the back, pull the siren out, install by doing the reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Update—- last week my siren was chirping nonstop after set alm. Now I does not chirp ever... and red light stays on. Pretty sure new siren will fix. Will post results.

7. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    one4torque

The battery has gone bad in your siren. The chirp will drive you nuts.

Do the battery upgrade or purchase a new siren module.

There is apparently a GM replacement that can be used. The P/N is 15213135

They are on eBay for $50 - $70

Search by the GM P/N

The bracket is slightly different but you can accommodate for that
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

one4torque likes this.
  8. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    thx GC - for those having to trouble shoot.... here is my time-log of the siren going from functional to it's doom:

1. Normal Operation. Car was in storage with batt off for a very long before I bought it.
    2. 21 days later at my local ind shop. Battery off again while work on car (major svc).
    3. P/U car on day 30, and I notice alarm chipping extra few chirps after set alarm and lock doors. does this for a couple days, then,
    4. Day 35, alarm is now chipping constantly after set alarm...... then does not do it (seems to be better at night)..... then does it. quit using alarm, just lock doors. Also alm light is constant on when op car.
    5. Day 40..... now siren does not even chirp when lock/unlock car..... suspect it gave it's last chirp and last bit of battery power.

new siren (auth ferrari) on order from scuderia parts website......

9. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #59 mello, Jul 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    There are known cases whereby a new siren has sat on the shelf for a few years before it is sold and the internal NiCad battery has gone far beyond its shelf life. You'll most likely will revisit this problem again in a few months or a few years. A permanent solution is to disassemble the siren module and relocate the battery to an external enclosure so that you may replace it if it has gone bad.

I have a 2003 360 Spider and the module is sealed. I cut it open and relocated the battery externally. Ferrari might of changed the design in the later year to make the battery replaceable, but I doubt it. Looking at the picture of the GM version in above, it looks sealed as well.

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    a few months..... hmm.... let me calculate..... that's $100/mo if it lasts 4 mo's........ for the use of my siren.

Hopefully scud isn't selling me a 20 year old siren????

11. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    How hard is it to cut the siren and solder wires to relocate battery outside? Where would you put the battery, somewhere close to the brake fluid reservoir so it could be accessed from the top panel with a few thumb screws?

12. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Preferably, use a band saw to get an even cut along the seams. You can use a hack saw with the blade in full contact with the seam and not at a 45 degree angle. Cut about 2-3mm deep around the housing and it'll break loose. It doesn't take much effort since the plastic is brittle and cuts well. Just go slow on the strokes. If you know how to solder, it's easy to remove the battery and extend it to the outside of the module. I housed the battery into a plastic pill bottle because I have yet to find a suitable container that is of the right size and quality. Keep in mind that the chemicals inside the NiCad battery is very corrosive. I zip-tie the container close to the brake fluid reservoir with the cap pointing up.

13. DanNE

DanNE Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2013
    Thanks for the detailed instructions. I assume we could cut along with a dremel tool as well?

Also does the battery have to match a NiCAD battery or is there another commercial battery that can replace it? I read that the original NiCAD has to be sourced in obscure places in Europe?

14. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    do not exceed 7.2 Volts

Only caveat

The OEM batteries were an nightmare.

The siren modules were made in Australia. That could account for the battery cost and unobtanium situation.

one4torque. Once the red LED stays on at the lower left panel the battery is gone.

15. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
    does the gm part replace the corroded board that causes non-audible issues? is this issue what causes the constant led issue as well?

16. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    This is a complete replacement siren assembly.

It is plugNplay with the original.

Yes when the internal siren battery dies the dash LED stays on

17. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Just installed a new siren using the GM part. Works fine with one exception ... If you disconnect the battery using the master power switch, the siren wails ... as if violated. Turn the master power switch and hit the fob and clears the wailing. Also, if you arm the car and then open the door from inside, the lights flash but the siren does not wail. There is obviously a difference in the internal electronics between the GM version and Ferrari version. I guess I am going to have bite the bullet and buy the Ferrari version.

18. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

same observation on my euro 360.

19. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I just ordered the Ferrari siren ... when I get it in, I will have brand new GM version of the siren. Anyone want it, let me know. I paid $75 for it but will let it go cheap.

Steve

24000rpm likes this.