FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE MEXICO 2018 GRAND PRIX: RACE-DAY ***SPOILERS*** | Page 12 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO DE MEXICO 2018 GRAND PRIX: RACE-DAY ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Oct 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Still. ....

cig1 likes this.
  2. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Ire eyes?

ktu likes this.
  3. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Straight forward to me, no holes in rear wheel spacers = poor Mercedes performance in the states and Mexico.

daytona355, NEP and PMW2018 like this.
  4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Congrats to Max for a solid performance.

Congrats to Hamilton for tying the record with Fangio.

Congrats to Stroll for beating his team mate once again.

ATBNM3 and kraftwerk like this.
  5. PMW2018

PMW2018 Karting

Feb 8, 2018
    France
    Full Name:
    Kitemona
    No offence but stop hating on Hamilton :)

ATBNM3, william, Mark(study) and 4 others like this.
  6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    part of the skill of being an F! champion is to be able to deal with all the issues surrounding you.
    vettel seems not to be able to do so.
    and, he does stupid stuff. think about the races this year, stack up the stupid self inflicted errors and actions, vs the moments of brilliance, and i think you will find that his errors outweigh his brilliance at about 5:1.

ATBNM3, cig1 and crinoid like this.
  7. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    Sorry, but that is massive revisionist history. The original Group C era from 1982 though the late 80's was some of the best and most popular racing ever. There was tremendous spectator and factory interest, much more so than today. Plus a private team could buy a Porsche 956/962 from the factory and actually win. Cars were pushing 250mph on the old Mulsanne straight. IT was awesome. Viewership was threatening to close in on F1, which was at the height of the Senna/Prost/Mansell era so doing really well itself. In one of those famous WTF moments the FIA decided to move to a common 3.5L NA engine the same as F1 which promptly killed Group C racing.

In F1 turbo's were banned as they were terrified of the increasing speed and costs. With 1,500hp one lap quali motors and race engines pushing 1,000 hp. Engines getting swapped out 2-3-4 times per weekend. F1 went to the 3.5L NA engines to slow down the cars.

The 80's was the last golden age of motorsport in Group C, IMSA, F1, F3000, WRC etc. Sorry, But I think you are way off.

ATBNM3, william, ago car nut and 2 others like this.
  8. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    A great season for LCH and a massively deserved win for him and Mercedes. I know it's popular to hate the guy around here, but come on, he's fought hard and fair, hasn't been involved in any on track dramas or made mistakes. This should have, could have been Ferrari and Seb's year, but Seb and to a lesser extent the team threw away the advantage of having the better car for a large part of the season. I defended Seb when he was clocking up those four in a row WDC's over at RB, but this year I"ve really lost a lot of respect for him. Every one can, does and has made mistakes, it's inevitable, but honestly Seb's just made too many. I would have to go back and count, but many, me included have been very hard on Max for his mistakes, but honestly I think Seb's made more and more serious mistakes than the youngster.

It's also very disingenuous to complain about Mercedes cheating. Everything they've done has been deemed legal per the FIA, and please don't try and complain that the FIA are favoring them, it's simply not true unless you want to seriously pic and chose your facts. Finally don't forget the years and years that the standing joke was that FIA stood for Ferrari International Assistance. Finally even the FIA has said their wheels are legal, but just to make sure there's no possible comeback they stopped using them anyway, even after having been approved. Come on, play nice. Admit that both Mercedes and Lewis have done an outstanding job. Let's look forward to LeClerc being the new #1 next year in the Red cars.

ATBNM3, WilyB and cmos like this.
  9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    IMHO it’s 51% Vettel and 49% team.

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Thats all this 'race' was. Not at all worth commenting further about it.

The next races are useless/meaningless overall. WDC sorted next is the WCC. Its all about next year now for me. The new lineups, who has made progress over winter and race 1.

11. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    It is ironic that you categorical rule out that the FIA would prefer one team only to close the sentence that the FIA might have preferred Ferrari in the past...does not really add up...
    But it is at least a little bit odd that most of the "inovations" of Ferrari were taken from them wheras those of Mercedes were almost all declared legal...in a set of rules that is waxy to say at best this still leaves a bad taste...add the fact that Lewis was about punished for not a single breach of a rule (like parking a car on track to push...)
    And looking at the fact that we were told that 2007 was rigged by the FIA it is a joke coming now that the FIA is objectiv all the time...

12. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    Singhof the Hamilton hate is over the top already. Get a life.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  13. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    q.e.d.... two (three including the "like") and counting....

14. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I totally agree with you. I've said it many times before that F1 as a whole would much prefer Lewis as champion. He's a rock star. My wife knows who Lewis Hamilton is, she has no clue who Seb, Max, or Ricciardo are. The quiet German who goes home to his family and isn't heard from again until Barcelona practice is not what they want. They want to see "their" champion hanging out with models and celebrities. They want these people at the races. And since most of those in Hollywood and the modeling industry are really that vapid, they'll happily go to a race if they think it's cool to be seen with Lewis.. They have no idea what F1 even is, but who cares... right? I might get caught on camera.

I'm not saying F1 is in the tank for Lewis and Merc. They certainly did great work and whether you love or hate Lewis, he's a phenomenal driver who takes advantage of everything the team gives him. I don't dislike Lewis at all... but I wouldn't really consider him one of the guys I root for. Still, I don't think you can be honest and say that the FIA does not... or at least in the past, tilted Merc's way. I look at it pretty objectively I think and I just feel that the FIA has a tenancy to put their thumb on the scale in favor of Mercedes and Lewis when there's a question.

Either way, Ferrari had more than enough to overcome any such bias this year. They failed as a team. Seb made some mistakes which only exacerbated a season in decline. Mercedes always finish strong in this new era. Ferrari too often looked like the Keystone cops and snatched defeat from the hands of victory. I also wonder if they wouldn't have absolutely destroyed Kimi's early season races with ridiculous strategy calls and other blunders during the race and qually... would they have taken the Constructors trophy?

Jeronimo GTO, G. Pepper and 375+ like this.
  15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I've been preaching this for years. F1 should be about racing, not managing.

16. cig1

cig1 F1 Rookie

May 3, 2005
    In front of you
    .... calling it as YOU see it

G

Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Ricciardo's clutch bearing broke, the Renault engine is not the culprit here.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  18. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    AdRian: it's Leclerc, not LeClerc. :p

Adrian Thompson likes this.
  19. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    When and by whom?

ATBNM3 likes this.
  20. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
  21. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Mercedes did NOT use the "limited illegality" rear rims at the Mexican GP even though the FIA and stewards deemed them [cough] "legal."

Charlie to hold a technical meeting before Brazil regarding MB rear rims & spacers and the negligable aerodynamic effect of these rims. Should some other team try to build said rims, Charlie wants to make sure that the design of said rims adheres "as close" as possible to said rims and not something different trying to copy these rims.

DF1 likes this.
  22. cmos

cmos Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2004
    USA
    Full Name:
    Johny English
    Per Motorsport:
    Mercedes still refrained from using the design in Mexico, and Whiting hopes a technical directive will provide further clarity on what is acceptable.

"Everyone knows that we deem it to be legal, that's no secret," he said.

"I don't really know why Ferrari didn't contemplate protesting, but the option is still open to them," he said.

Whiting said he does not plan to make the Mercedes design illegal in the future.

23. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139753/mercedes-denies-wheels-caused-f3-performance

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff insists that his team's decision to race without its cooling rear wheel rims did not contribute to its W09 behaving like "an F3 car" in the Mexican Grand Prix.

Both Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas struggled with their tyres at the Mexico City race on Sunday, which left them unable to challenge the Red Bull and Ferrari cars ahead.

With those difficulties coming just a week after similar troubles at Austin, when Mercedes also did not race its new wheel rim design, it prompted suggestions the team may have suffered without the extra help from its controversial concept.

But Wolff is adamant the wheel rim issue is a red herring, because Mercedes' biggest headache in Mexico was not at the back of the car.

"The biggest problem today was the front left," he said when asked whether the team had been made vulnerable without the wheel rim concept. "It was nothing to do with it."

Mercedes has elected to race without its wheel rim design, which features small holes to help cooling, for the past two races to avoid any potential risk of a protest from Ferrari.

Ahead of the Mexican GP, Mercedes asked for a ruling from the stewards to get a definitive answer on the rims' legality, and it was told that the FIA was totally happy.

However, to be totally safe and avoid any chance of a rival lodging a post-race complaint, Mercedes steered clearing of running them again.

The FIA is now likely to issue a technical directive ahead of the Brazilian Grand Prix to help clear up the matter.

Wolff said the Mexico performance was not out of the ordinary for a campaign where the team had sometimes struggled, but had been often helped by Hamilton's driving brilliance.

"He has been the differentiator," added Wolff. "Our car was the fastest at times, then not the fastest at other times. Sometimes it was an F3 car, like today [in Mexico].

"I don't think we had one single lap where we actually switched the tyre on. I don't think our car drove the tyre.

"And I have no explanation. We will be asking for explanation because these swings are just difficult."

G. Pepper likes this.
  24. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    No, **** em. I don’t like the FIA bias, and just because you chose to believe there isn’t one, doesn’t mean I’m not allowed to either. The rules and regulations stink of Mercedes, and the lack of sanction to Mercedes and elton in particular in the most ridiculous of circumstances is proof enough that Mercedes are enabled in their cheating by Charlie and the FIA

NEP likes this.
  25. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    It did not make sense that they chose not to use the rims for fear that Ferrari may protest 'at some point', given that Whiting already indicated he would not make them illegal. It would also seem that Ferrari could do that for the past races they were used in if it's that big a worry.

Maybe their thinking was not to take a chance since there is some uncertainty and they felt they could win the WDC without the rims. I'm guessing there is a little more to it than that though. Whatever the case, their tire were a mess yesterday (as they were for others).

Somehow, Red Bull has the tendency to look really good for one race and make you believe they will be competitive for the following races/season. Then they just revert back to what they were before (second-level competition)

NEP, DF1, jgonzalesm6 and 2 others like this.