rechroming rear tail light cluster 365 gt 2+2 | FerrariChat

rechroming rear tail light cluster 365 gt 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 365gtfr, Oct 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365gtfr

365gtfr Karting

Dec 8, 2016
    France
    hello,

On my car, the rear tail light cluster have to be renovated. They are not in a good condition and I have black bands upper and lower (maybe an addition from the previous owner beacause I never saw such bands).

I would like to rechrome theses parts, a friend of mine said that it's in zamac. Do you think it's possible ? do you have any advices ?

thank you

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    You might want to speak with a reputable chrome shop as well.

john

3. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Cannot see the chrome well in the picture. The black paint seems to be sprayed over the chrome. Maybe you could try to " clean off " the black paint with some alcohol first ? Just an idea, am no expert.

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    See the top picture in post 21 of this thread, and my comment in post 22.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/introducing-my-365-gt-2-2.413780/#post-142418045

The top and bottom bands (where yours have been sprayed black) originally had a matte finish which, when viewed closely, was actually what I would call a micro-pebble finish - most likely sprayed on. As I commented 5 years ago, that original finish will come right off if you wash it too vigorously or polish the chrome finish.

5. 365gtfr

365gtfr Karting

Dec 8, 2016
    France
    thanks for your advices. I will begin to clean gently the black bands (I agree with you on the finish Bryan). I've seen a lot of 365 GT with full chrome finish, not original by the way but clean ;-)

6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Getting that right was very difficult. I think we had it done a few different times when I painted my car, and I actually had to buy (on ebay!) another set of those surrounds because mine were cracked.

I suspect the reason most of them are just chromed is because that is much easier.

365gtfr likes this.
  7. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    I have owned 2 Queens over there years and both were fully chromed. I too had to re-chrome mine. They were Pot-Metal type metal. Really cheap ****ty stuff. But with a good chrome company they will come out nice. I didn't go for the black bands though. Looks nicer fully chromed..This is the fun stuff to do for sure..

8. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Any one have any new ideas about repairing the Chrome tail light surrounds to their original appearance? Especially the ‘ micropebble finish of the two outer bands ?

9. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    What serial # is you car ? I am trying to locate

10. abilliet

abilliet Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Antony Billiet
    13965. RHD

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. 365gtfr

365gtfr Karting

Dec 8, 2016
    France
    S/N 11903

12. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    I have new old stock assemblies

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I suspect much or most of the damage seen on old zamac parts comes from acid dipping done during an earlier re-chroming process. When the acid gets into the porous material, it will never come out and the less metal you have left, the more fragile the part gets.

14. 365gtfr

365gtfr Karting

Dec 8, 2016
    France
    Hello Thomas, I'm interested, could you PM me with your conditions ? thank you.