1/2 inch torque wrench recommendation | FerrariChat

1/2 inch torque wrench recommendation

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yelcab, Oct 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have a really nice and pricey electronic Gearwrench 1/2 torque wrench that does Nm, Ftlb, and degrees rotation with a flex head. It's always in a case, inside a cabinet, and only comes out when really precision work is needed between 100 - 250 lbs. Well, it went tits up on me, won't even turn on with brand new AAA batteries. This is the second electronic torque wrench that has done this bull **** and I am DONE with the effing electronic torque wrenches. I am keeping it in my car so that I can pitch it over the side of the Golden Gate bridge the next time I cross it.

I want to buy a mechanical clicking type that goes up to 250 lbs, 24 inches long minimum, and I am not sure what to buy. Choices are:

1. Used SnapOn 250lbs wrench (not paying for new ones.... )
    2. New Gearwrench 1/2 inch 250 lb wrench
    3. Others ????

Any insight, recommendation, and / or brain farts is appreciated.

2. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What are you going to use this for?

I have a Tekton 1/2" click torque wrench that is mostly used for wheel bolts / lug nuts. I know S/O and others are more accurate and better made. For what this is used for, at $50 it was a good buy and hasn't let me down.

3. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You get what you pay for, Mitch.

Two words - Snap On.

5. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Snap On for sure. Remember to get calibrated.

Keith Darby likes this.
  6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I use digital snapon and get it calibrated yearly here at a digital instrument place in the area for $50
    Useally within 5 pounds
    Btw the rotation degree is widely used after torque

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The beam type is basically a spring and is more rugged. I double check my torque wrenches against each other. Put a bolt with nut in vise and try one wrench against another. You know that bolt torque is affected by lubrication or lack of on the thread. So I wouldn't get to concerned 100% accurate torque. Measuring bolt stretch is more accurate. Over tightening is bad.

bisel likes this.
  8. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    #9 bisel, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    Beam type very good, very reliable, but does not have a nice click when reaching set torque. I have a Craftsman dial in type. No batteries.

Steve

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Let me add more information.

I have seven torque wrenches from SnapOn 3/8 and 1/2 balanced beams, Precision Instrument 3/8 balanced beam, Husky 1/4 clicker, and Craftsman clicker types, and the now-dead electronic Gearwrench one. One is dedicated to 75lbs for torqueing wheels only. Four are used for high quality precision work to 150lbs. Occasionally, I need to go beyond 150 lbs (axle nuts, gearbox nuts, big ass wheel nuts) and that is when I pull out the big Gearwrench electronic one that is now dead as a door nail. No more electronic garbage (and I hold a MSEE).

I bought the electronic one thinking that the degree rotation will come in handy but I have found its use to be finicky and inaccurate especially if you have to take multiple passes to get to the final degrees. So, I rely on my Snap On mechanical degree gauge for that. Or, simply mark the nuts/bolts. So that feature is not important anymore.

So, now I am looking for a 24 inch long (so I can use the leverage), 1/2 type (big sockets), clicker adjustable mechanical type (no more batteries), that is of good quality and will last a long time. CDI is now making Snap On so I would just buy from CDI instead of a new Snap On.

10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    [QUOTE="yelcab, post: 146276084, member: 211"

So, now I am looking for a 24 inch long (so I can use the leverage), 1/2 type (big sockets), clicker adjustable mechanical type (no more batteries), that is of good quality and will last a long time. CDI is now making Snap On so I would just buy from CDI instead of a new Snap On.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I know you need one of these.
    Not mine just an example. I think the newer one is better gets better battery life from an update. Plus it has the degree wheel on it also
    I use these on Diesels with big ARP studs in the 200 lb range
    Same guts as another model I forget the name

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-1-2-Drive-Electronic-Torque-Wrench-TechAngle-ATECH3FR250B/253951850725?hash=item3b20b5b8e5:g:ROsAAOSwlY5b07Kv:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le

Yeah I know you need one of these.
    Not mine just an example. I think the newer one is better gets better battery life from an update. Plus it has the degree wheel on it also
    I use these on Diesels with big ARP studs in the 200 lb range
    Same guts as another model I forget the name

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-1-2-Drive-Electronic-Torque-Wrench-TechAngle-ATECH3FR250B/253951850725?hash=item3b20b5b8e5:g:ROsAAOSwlY5b07Kv:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true[/QUOTE]
    How long have you had yours?

12. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

I think 4 years or so

I upgrade to the latest ones all the time, have 3/4 and 1/2 in these no 1/4 as I dont do that work anymore

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  14. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Does your wife have a sister ;)

taz355 and Dave rocks like this.
  15. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I got the big Tekton clicker that goes to 250 lb ft. Only need it for axle nuts but it seems to work well.

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sorry but no... I certainly got lucky, that's for sure.

17. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I use SK-Wayne click-type; I have 3/8, 1/4 and 3/4 (the 3/4 was only for my Testarossa, haven't used it since). They work great. I also have an angle adapter for when I do torque/angle measurements.

18. sandreb

sandreb Karting

Feb 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Sander B.
    I use and recommend Precision Instruments torque wrenches.

19. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    Harbor Freight has some good quality ones. Top notch.

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Harbor Freight doesn't have good quality anything. Inexpensive, though.

Keith Darby likes this.
  21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Utica Tools makes professional grade torque wrenches used in manufacturing and trades. I have had mine (home use) for 30 years. Every time I have the calibration checked it is spot on. http://uticatorquewrench.com/about-us.html
    http://uticatorquewrench.com/utica-ratchet-head-torque-wrenches.html
    Whatever you buy, (especially used) have the calibration checked. I had a friend buy two new Craftsman torque wrenches and had them checked and both were out of calibration right out of the box.
    I have purchased a second used Utica Tools torque wrench off Ebay and immediately sent it in for testing and calibration. Not expensive and they return with a certificate with calibration % in each direction.

22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Consider a used Utica Tools 1/2" drive is $400+ new, but you can find them for $40 to $50 on Ebay. Send it out for calibration (factory or local) and you should be able to have a decent used one for 1/4 the price of new. Even if it needs a new ratchet head, you wouldn't be into it more than $175 to $200 total.

23. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I snatched a SnapOn 1/2 inch 250lbs used torque wrench off Ebay. I will post picture when I get it.
    Since I am in a buying mood, I will make an offer on a Utica 3/4 inch 600lbs model

f355spider likes this.
  24. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I think if you can find your local Snap On dealer, they have a tester and can test and calibrate on their trucks. Not sure if they service one from another manufacturer. Worth asking. A friend told me Snap On dealers only test, cannot calibrate