DFW - RIP Cars and Coffee Dallas 2009 - 2018 | FerrariChat

DFW RIP Cars and Coffee Dallas 2009 - 2018

Discussion in 'Texas' started by BlackBird007, Oct 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Just saw word on Facebook that Cars and Coffee Dallas is going away for good. Per the Facebook post:

“Classic BMW - Plano, franchisee of Cars and Coffee(TM) Dallas, is sad to announce that after more than nine years of benefitting the car loving community and local charities, Cars and Coffee Dallas will hold its last show on December 1, 2018. The quality of the cars in attendance has declined over the years. The event staff tried not to exclude anyone by asking participants to strongly consider whether their car was show worthy, but the show grew organically over time with fewer quality cars.

The last two events for Cars and Coffee Dallas will be held Saturday, November 3 and on Saturday, December 1. Due to the size of the show and Classic BMW’s continued desire to provide motorsports eye candy to all attendees, Classic BMW will reserve the right at these last two shows to deny entry at any time at their discretion. If the event staff does not consider a vehicle show worthy, those vehicles will be asked to park in the spectator lots located around the dealership.

Classic BMW gives special thanks to the owners who took the time to share their supercars, antiques, classics, muscle cars, hot rods, motorcycles, boats, special use vehicles and rare, one of a kind cars – many of which the average person would never have seen if it weren’t for these participants’ dedication to Cars and Coffee Dallas.

The event would not have been what it was without the great efforts of the many volunteers from Classic BMW, car clubs, charities and Plano high schools who gave up their time year round for the love of cars to coordinate every little detail to put on the enormous show. Much appreciation also goes to the Plano Texas Police Department who helped hold a safe event.

Most importantly, Classic BMW thanks all who donated generously to the monthly charity - the vendors and the thousands of vehicle owners, spectators and families who visited Cars and Coffee Dallas each month. Thank you for your participation and support over the years in giving back to the wonderful community we live and work in.”

I’m very sad to see this go, this was the very first car thing I ever did 9 years ago. But it became too chaotic, and quality of cars went down - I haven’t been in 3 years. It will be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. willwork04

willwork04 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2012
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Will
    It will be back in some form or fashion.

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Based on that, maybe I'll take the Ferrari again. One last time.

I quit taking it years ago because I was continually turned away and the crowds were disrespectful. I WILL be sorry to see it go.

crinoid and Texas Forever like this.
  4. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    You can't just filter people and cars without backlash, the event is what it is. The reason they did it in first place was not charitable, why would anyone put up with the headache or liability otherwise. It was to get eyes to their dealership. Something else will show up. I only went once in the entire time and didn't care for it. Dealer being sly about commercial aspects, crowds, immature drivers, and more "show off" than "show" even for the higher quality mature participants.

AClark likes this.
  5. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    Cars and Cannoli is a much better event if you want to avoid the engine revving and everyday common cars. Complete with gate keeper...

Shaide, WJHMH and crinoid like this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    true, I just wish we could get something true to the spirit of how Cars and Coffee first started even before Dallas with being non-commercial.

Shaide, crinoid and Texas Forever like this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Crystal Cove started it all. No sponsors. No organizers. Just cool cars and car people. If you got there by 8:30, it was over. Then things got so big the shopping center started hiring ROC to provide some order. Then the residents in multi-million dollar homes started griping about the noise as people ripped down PCH. Party over. But it was really cool while it lasted. Best car show I have ever been to, including Pebble Beach.

To make the magic work today, you'd have to do it as a scavenger hunt. A small group of people agree to meet at such and such place. Keep it off social media. Even then, over time it would probably get too big. ;)

8. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    I like the ParkUpFront app for that. You can always find a car meet, rally, restaurant fun run, car expo, etc.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    again, commercial spam, everything related in that circle and commercial. PUF app still needs some critical mass.

10. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    True, they have a long way to go. However, I do like the idea of being able to pull up the app and possibly find something to do on a lazy weekend.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It is well designed for that purpose and garage, not great for community discussions like a forum although they try to market it as such.

12. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Small and nice; Fort Worth get together at Yogi's bagels.

13. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I went to a few of the early meets and had fun but as stated by Pat Arnold the event became overrun by cars that weren't show worthy and I don't think they really wanted to alienate folks by turning them away. Over the last several years I quit going to avoid having to show up at 6am for a parking spot and wasn't driving anything that spectacular (like my stock M5). After picking up my 488 this summer I decided to attend a couple of the events, although I was waived in and allowed to park without issue the place was just too crowded for me.

14. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Long overdue; I was very active the first few years and stopped going as the less interesting cars showed up & the same cars could be seen each and every time. Some of my last visits made me wonder if I was at Cars & Coffee or a Chevrolet/Ford lot, and working nearby, I hear the same repeat of American V8s or Japanese 6 cylinders going full beans onto the tollway every morning of the show.

I really wish Cars & Bikes was still around. RAC at its old location was in a great spot away out of the public eye and the event wasn't heavily advertised.

paulyp likes this.
  15. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    It was great when it started but within a few years the meet became total crap. I saw a video last night of this past weekends C&C Dallas of Cadillac speeding on the access road, almost lost control into a wall. Nope not really going to miss it.

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Political correctness killed it.

Big Thanks to Plano BMW for putting up with it for so many years.

17. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    The event should have been made invitation only years ago. You submit your car and you're either approved or not. In the first few years, my husband worked for Classic and ran the gate. He didn't let anything in that wasn't show worthy, whether it pissed people off or not. And he knows cars. After that, it became a bunch of people who didn't care/know anything and didn't want the hassle so everything got through. He told them over and over that this would happen but they didn't listen. It's been a long time coming, IMHO. I won't take any of my cars there.

Acacg and rob lay like this.
  18. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I only went twice this year. Both times early in the year.

For me, there was still a good lineup of quality cars, amidst the sea of crap.

However, what drove me away was 2 things:

1. Long wait to get in
    2. The never ending, insanely loud (and echoing), rev contests. The sound of multiple small engines all screaming and then stuttering at their rev limiters was fun, for about 2 seconds. Then it became head-ache inducing. Throw in the motorcycle reving, and the muscle car reving -- add in the echoing off the surrounding buildings -- and it just became too loud to even have a conversation.

Perhaps the big part of my enjoyment at shows like this is simply talking/chatting with other car owners. When that becomes difficult, why even bother going?

Sid

rob lay likes this.
  19. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    I’ve been going for 8 years and I stopped going for the cars years ago. The only reason I go now is to talk with fellow car guys and friends I’ve made over the years. It’s a shame it’s ending but this was bound to happen.

Hopefully a new event comes along to pick up the reins.

20. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Went twice and was bored out of my mind. Should've shot it in the head 4 years ago.

21. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Last one is this Saturday. I’ll go if I remember and it’s warm.

22. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    There was a poll on their Facebook page asking whether Rawlings should take over or if people would be interested in Texas Motor Speedway hosting the show. I don't know if TMS had any actual involvement, but the post gave notion that TMS would allow everyone to participate due to its size and would be easier for Fort Worth residents. Didn't really seem to pay any positives to Rawlings, saying he would more than likely look to keeping quality cars for the show only.

23. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Looks like Classic is handing over the ropes to Rawlings per a video posted on Instagram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I went today. What a total cluster ****. I was turned away, again, though when I parked far away and walked there were plenty of spaces available. Oh yeah, lots of average cars was still a problem.

A few high notes however; JT showed up in the LaF and it was like parting of the Red Sea. Fun to watch. Also in attendance was a pristine F40, a Mclaren Senna, Verona, and a Pagani.

I’ve never seen a crowd like that before, it was unbelievable. Even if it reboots, I’m done.

DIGMAN52 likes this.