250 engine weight question | FerrariChat

250 engine weight question

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by enio45, Oct 31, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I'm doing some evaluation on how much my new front springs will come down on the Ellena car - having said that - I'm trying to estimate what is the weight of a 250 motor with generator, fully weighted radiator and hood?

If i know this, i can set some similar weight in the front end to see if my springs come down enough so the car will sit right. Or if not - have the springs adjusted.

Appreciate the insight......hood is steel fyi - I'm thinking the trans would be about center point so not much impact to the front end.

Thoughts?

2. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Ed, I wished I could help you, but hopefully someone has the answer to that question. But,most of all I am curious as to why you are concerned about that. Do you think that the old springs are tired?
    Curious as hell, that's all.

john

3. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    i had new springs made off the spring rate and dimensions of my old ones, pls the old ones sere significantly pitted, which may not have an issue or bearing on the performance.....so i had new ones made......

based on putting 500 lbs in the car the other day (3 guys) in the engine compartment frame, the front end did not come down much if at all.....so loading it was something i was considering to assess....i can wait until the motor goes in etc and see, just trying to see if I'm within a certain lbs where the springs will begin to compress.

4. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    I can understand your concern now. You probably should also count in the interior, glass and gearbox. That's a few hundred pounds there.

john