Police in your car | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Police in your car

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Fiaat, Oct 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Imo it depends on the guy, type of day, weather and so on … most of them are good people …

One complained about the number sticker in front of the 458 nose instead of a regular number plate ..

Got away with a warning … :)

2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    In my jurisdiction, there is a 20% leaway on speed limits. 100km limit on highways are only enforced once you top 125. City limits of 60 kms , going over 75 will get you stopped. Driving without a front license plate is illegal. Have driven 4 cars without one over 5 years.Finally got stopped a month ago and issued a ticket. Most cops are actually very courteous and will reduce the actual speed down to only 10% over the limit so that the fine is much smaller and no points accrue.

However, my experience with US police is very different. I was once stopped and issued a speeding ticket going 60 mph on a highway with the speed limit being 65. Cop lied by advising that the limit was 55 mph. Being from Canada, they know you are not coming back to the jurisdiction to fight it. But I did out of principle. Won the case.

Shack likes this.
  3. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Actually, it has more to do with the fact that criminals... you won't believe this... tend to break laws. All laws. You're average pimp, drug dealer, murderer, etc, don't act like perfectly normal people in every other facet of life except for the area in which they choose to make a living.

A person "walking out of a bar" is not breaking a law. A person doing 60 in a 40, driving around without a license plate, running a stop sign, etc, is breaking a law. Don't get your panties in a wad because you were the one pulled over. You broke the law, that's why law enforcement is there.

Go ride along with your local Sheriff's department. You'll find that they ticket far fewer of the people they pull over than you think. You'll also find that a large number of the people they pull over have warrants, are driving without a license, are under the influence of alcohol or some other substance, or have fairly large amounts of meth/crack/heroin/etc in their car. Criminals are stupid. They caught Joel Rifkin because he was driving without a tag.

dustman and up4speed like this.
  4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

It isn't about "getting panties in a wad," which btw is an extremely insulting demeaning sexist expression.
    And it isn't like I can't afford the ticket, or the lawyer who gets rid of the points (every time without fail, yet another corrupt system issue).
    It's about a system set up to milk cash out of people purely for monetary gain, a tax.
    They aren't pulling me over at 10 over (not 20 over), or the lady in her SUV, to find drug-dealing felons. Everyone reading this around the World knows that.
    I have numerous cop friends, I raise money for the Sheriff's charity; I talk to them socially and joke about all this BS.
    They would tell you it's about quotas and expectations from the high command, if you're not writing tickets, you're not working hard enough...let me repeat that....the cops (or at least the ones I know who aren't afraid to speak openly socially among friends) will tell you it is about numbers. Furthermore, most of them hate being on traffic; they'd rather be doing real cop work instead too.

daytona355 likes this.
  5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    nice troll (intended or not). It got so many pics as requested (shocking) :rolleyes:

6. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Pretty telling, isn’t it?

7. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Give me a break. They were assigned for that job. Thats what it is. And at any time, they might not encounter a polite driver, but instead someone armed who wants to teach them a lesson for being "roving tax collectors". There are all sorts out there. We pay the police to interact with them. Nothing is perfect. Yes, it ends up sometimes being a tax collection job, and thus it could be better. But I think they deserve our respect and that's really where the comments began here because you said you don't like cops period. Thats your opinion and I have mine.

dustman and Viperjoe like this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    No need for me (or anyone else here) to give anyone a break - was just merely pointing out the glaringly obvious. My opinion was also given in the context of traffic cops/HWP - and, posting on a car enthusiast forum, not a house and garden forum or other which may therefore associate other departments within the "Force". No offence to you but my opinion should to be kept in correct context and not blown out of proportion in a bid to seek the higher moral ground. The truth of the matter is quotas or not, good honest hardworking people generally have a conscience and, act accordingly. I don't see that happening with HWP - only opportunistic behavior.

Shack likes this.
  9. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I apologize, if I had realized you were as delicate as the average snowflake, I wouldn't have used the term.

I can't think of a road I've regularly travelled where there weren't people speeding and going much faster than even the prevailing traffic. You seem to be missing the fact that such behavior is against the law. Thus, if a cop isn't writing tickets, he isn't doing his job, precisely because so many seem the think the laws doesn't really apply to them when they are driving an automobile. If a roadside study shows that 50 people per hour are speeding in excess X% of the posted limit, and the cop working that section of road is only writing 1 ticket every three hours, he's not doing his job.

dustman likes this.
  10. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    Here in British Columbia, anything 20 kph and over is automatic loss of vehicle for 7 days...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. goldlifter

goldlifter Karting

Aug 8, 2015
    What if a cop is the only person who drives your Ferrari?

12. Marc Rachbind

Marc Rachbind Rookie

Aug 5, 2018
    Fort Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Rachy
    My take is this: If I got pulled over on an open road in great condition, and no adjoining roads, during daylight hours, driving 145mph, I would like to think the cop uses good judgment , and lets me off. After all, who am I endangering? If it means letting them sit in my car, to get off the ticket, then sure. Now, if I was cited for driving 40 in a 30, I'd be pissed, but would still let them sit in my car if they let me off.

daytona355 likes this.
  13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Didn't mean to offend but, the OP titled the thread "Police in your car" and said "Can we have photos of feds in your car" - I simply took it as police of any kind. Not highway patrol vs local cops. You said "I don't like cops period least of all anywhere near my car." Thats fine, thats your opinion. But you never made the distinction, and, my opinion is its a distinction without a difference because when that police officer, whether they are highway patrol or local police, pulls over someone for an infraction, they simply don't know what they are getting into. That is a fact.

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

Once again you can't try to make a point without adding pointless insults.
    Low class.

15. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    The fact is, in our country we dont have guns available like in the US (no opinion on this topic and don't want to get into a debate about this). In fact we dont have an inexpensive legal system that can help one get off ridiculous fines. So hence as a citizen my rights are severely diminished with any recourse being expensive and long winded. HWP here have no real risk (as in general people pose no threat as they are not armed) and as such we can make the distinction between HWP and Real police. In addition our resentment of HWP is extreme due to their absolute lack of latitude.

daytona355 and Shadowfax like this.
  16. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    Actually, you decided to make the "don't get your panties in a wad" into an insult. Out in the real world, people see it as a tongue in cheek way of saying, "chill."

17. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    That you HWP have a lower risk to their lives has nothing to do with whether or not the average, law abiding citizen is armed, and everything to do with a lack of violent criminals. This is only logical, when one considers that the person being pulled over is already in possession and control of a most deadly weapon. Incidents of criminals running officers down, or attempting to run officers down, are fairly common in the US.

18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    In the US we have absurd fines, long delays, all sorts of problems. In some cases we literally have surcharges upon surcharges! And (competent) legal representation isn't inexpensive. These are all problems in the system. I'm just talking about the individual you may be interacting with. Anyway, thats just my experience.

19. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Lads I am about to go with a few friends on an awesome drive this weekend :). Suffice to say we all have our complaints but right now I have 1500kms of brilliant driving to enjoy!!

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Enjoy! A great day is a day when you don't see any you know what;)

Shack and daytona355 like this.
  21. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    In the UK, luckily the police have had their funding cut so much it’s rare to see them out and about in their motorway patrol cars.... but they do put their dopey camera civilian operators out to try to catch people. Luckily, a good laser jammer helps with spotting them far further away than they can legally obtain your speed.

Here though, it really is just revenue raising activity, nothing to do with safety. Our speed limits are pathetic, they regularly lower limits on perfectly good roads in efforts to enhance the revenue they can generate from enforcement. The saving grace is the lack of calibrated cars out there able to prove your speed if they chase and stop you, as here, they have to PROVE your speed via equipment, NOT opinion, unless you are daft enough to admit speeding - admission however does include apologising for going too fast, joking about your speed, saying you didn’t know you were speeding etc.... I advise people all the time, when stopped, and asked ‘do you know why we stopped you?’ The only correct answer is ‘no, I was driving at the speed limit and obeying the rules and the signage, why?

That means they are COMPELLED to prove your speed, and in the majority of cases, there will be no calibrated evidence, nor video evidence, so they will mess people around trying to trip them up, just say nothing, and then let you go on your way. When I drive around a lot, I was getting pulled over every other day or so, and my licence is clean. They’ve even threatened to ‘keep an eye on me and get me’ yet it never amounted to anything!

Kirillos, Napoli and Shadowfax like this.
  22. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Have fun!! :)

Shadowfax, Viperjoe and Shack like this.
  23. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    LoL thread. So much misaligned hatred.

24. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    I checked the thread and no "hatred" here - just annoyed folks who get ridiculous fines

Napoli and Shadowfax like this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Pretty well the score of it shack - no hate here at all, just reality. Anyone seeking the high moral ground here is either a major nanny or hasn't been on the receiving end of flagrant highway robbery. I'm sure if they had a taste of it the smile and any lolling would be on the other side of their face in no time at all.

Napoli and Shack like this.