Brake pad recommendation for track (HPDE) | FerrariChat

Brake pad recommendation for track (HPDE)

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by SCKOMS, Oct 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Looking for recommendations for pads for "track day" use. I have used EBC Yellow in the past and have been happy with them. I am currently looking at getting the EBC Orange for the next track day event, but I know others like Pagid have been mentioned.

What are the best options?

Thanks in advance.

2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Depends on the car and track. I tracked a 3000lb 550hp car at COTA, and EBC blue wasn't enough. I'd go through a set of pads in one day. Pagid Rs29's were more expensive, but miles better. I got two track days from a set and far better consistency.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I like the carbotech XP 8 to 24 series. Each step is more aggressive if you will than the next. You can mix and match a different compound on rears and fronts and effect the bias. Numbers are logical so it is easy to remember which way to go. I also have not had problems with pad transfer swapping pads in the range while I dinked around with finding what worked for my racecar or switching from racepads XP16/12 on my 550 to xp10/8 for the street. Interestingly, I have found the cold grip just fine (out of laziness) so now I just run the racepads on the street in the 550. I run xp24's on my 3500lb racecar and can get heat into them on the warmup lap so that I have perfect braking for turn 1 at the start of any race. Some pads you really have to watch the operational temperature range or the performance gets unpredictable. Carbotechs seem just plan work from the turn of the key stone cold to smoking red brake rotors.

bellwilliam likes this.
  4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You guys talking about pads for iron or carbon ceramic rotors?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Good point. Iron in my case.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    if op is using EBC now, I am guessing they are for iron rotors.

+1 what fatbillybob says. Carbotech / G-Loc (essentially the same pads) is considered one of the best in racing circle. reason is for the release. brake release is what determines corner entry yaw angle. having a good brake release is a must for entry speed

7. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  8. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    To clarify regarding the different grip for the front and rear, are you placing he more aggressive pads on the front?

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I have been pretty satisfied with Ferodo DS2500 pads on my F355 for track use with street tires.
    I get 5 track weekends (8-9 days of lapping) on a set of pads,
    And I get 30± lapping days on a set of rotors,
    While lapping within 2 seconds of the lap record* at TWS.

(*) 3000+ pound cars with 400-HP on street (non-R-compound) tires.

10. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    I've used Carbotech pads and TarOx rotors on my vintage race cars and have been very happy...
    Oops, Outlaw calipers too...

11. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    it really depends on the car. cars with 50/50 weight distribution generally (some have huge front brakes vs. rear, some do not) likes more agressive pads on the front. With a 430 (same brake size front and rear, with more rear weight distribution) on RE71R (tire matters too, grippier the tire, more front bias you need), I find same pads front and rear is pretty good. ABS don't kick in much.