308 Cylinder issue - water and rust ingress | FerrariChat

308 Cylinder issue - water and rust ingress

Discussion in '308/328' started by Tim308, Nov 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim308

Tim308 Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tim Cockburn
    So, i have a '76 308 GTB and recently changed the sparks.
    One of the rear sparks had a little dust come out with it (on the outside) and so on investigation i could see grit down the tube where the plugs live.
    I used a vacuum on each and every one before removing all the rest.
    However, 2 of the front sparks were really badly corroded and felt wet when i removed them.

I purchase an inspection camera with a flexible lead and i can now see that some rusty water has gotten into one or two of the cylinders. There may also be a little grit.
    I put this down to the rubber gaskets that seal the plug holes getting old and leaving gaps where stuff can get in.

So, the big question is - is there any way of cleaning the cylinders (eg flushing with oil and turning it over without them in) or should i really be thinking about lifting the engine out?

Any advice would be great! I cannot imagine i'm the first with this problem, considering that the front sparks are right under the lip to the engine lid!!

Cheers guys!!

2. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The advice I have is to clean around the plugs before they are removed, of course.

I would use the vac and reduce the hose size down to a small enough tubing that can be inserted into the cylinder. Compressed air may only serve to embed debris further into the ring area, so I wouldn’t suggest that.

When all done, seal the new plug boots with a sparingly applied amount of di-electric grease.

3. Tim308

Tim308 Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tim Cockburn
    Thanks Street surfer,
    Unfortunately the plugs all got changed.
    I did vacuum them all beforehand, but believe there was just too much corrosion for the vacuum to remove. It would have been loosened when the plugs were undone.
    I did vacuum once more after the plugs were out too.
    The issue is that the rusty water is now in the cylinder, so any advice on possibly flushing or rinsing out would be very welcome

4. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Hi Tim,

It was still wet? Did it rain or did you wash the car since the last run? I'm thinking that if it is exterior water it would have evaporated from a hot engine. Otherwise, does it smell like coollant? There might be a bigger issue lurking...

Franny

308 milano likes this.
  5. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #5 308 milano, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Certainly no expert although I’m sure the guys ( and Gals) will be along shortly to give you some expert advice. My first thought would be to pull all the plugs and totally saturate each cylinder with PB blaster/WD-40 and let sit for a few days., then turn the engine over by hand with plugs out and flush as much crap out as possible. Just my 2 cts.

6. FrannyB

FrannyB Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    Arvada, CO
    Just a quick comment about those big plug gaskets... They need to breath or, at least in our car, they will pop themselves off the spark plugs. This happendjust a bit before I tried to pass a super slow truck up in the mountains. Always entertaining when you drop three cylinders under load...

7. Tim308

Tim308 Rookie

Aug 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tim Cockburn
    Thanks guys!
    Thankfully the water is definately in there from the spark plug well, and not coming through from the cooling system!
    What do you think about flushing the cylinders with petrol and then turning over with the plugs out in order to kick out any possible rust or grit??

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Better to blow them out with an air compressor than vacuuming.

9. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Water in the spark plug well was a problem from day 1 of 308 production. I don't know about the GTB/GTS but the later GT4 (mine is a '77) has some shielding on the inside of the engine cover to divert the water away from the plugs.

10. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think OP is asking about water and dirt that got into a couple of cylinders when the plugs were removed. Not an expert, but if this happened to me I would remove the plugs, attach a tube to my vacuum cleaner and clean out the cylinder via the plug hole, confirm it's clean with an inspection camera, then be done.

11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    As Ron said in the first response, tape a suitably thin tube (brake tube, thin fuel hose...) to your vacuum and suck as much out as you can. I would then spray penetrant in, turn engine over by hand and vacuum again. Then check with camera and if still any debris, repeat.

12. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    I agree with the vacuum advocates. WD-40 was originally developed to displace water ("WD" = Water Displacement). Vacuum, spray a copious amount of WD-40 into the cylinder and vacuum it out. Repeat as many times as necessary until the piston/cylinder walls look clean. I wouldn't turn the engine over until I performed this procedure.

13. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #13 Streetsurfer, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Vacuuming up combustibles/petroleum solvents can, if conditions are right, ignite it within the vacuum’s motor and explode, rendering the vacuum useless (among other greater risks)....been there done that with a spray penetrant before. An oil siphoning tank like the Mity-Vac 7200 might be more appropriate if a combustible solvent is going to be used.

308 milano likes this.
  14. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think you guys are overthinking this. As long as there isn’t so much water as to cause hydraulic lock, i.e. more than the capacity of the combustion chamber, whatever is in there is just gonna get vaporized as soon as you fire it up

15. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    How long’s it set with water/rust in the cylinders? I would opt for caution, penetrant in the cylinders for a few days and turn engine over by hand, then risk breaking a stuck ring and scoring cylinder walls. just my 2cts.

16. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    He said he just pulled the plugs and it got in there so we're not talking about anything like that. Any little particles or remnants of rusty water aren't gonna last past a couple of cycles. it will all get vaporized.

17. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    He could "see grit" down the tubes and the water in the cylinders was "rusty" so it might be more than just water.

18. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Regardless there is nothing you can do at this point by probing in there other than possibly wash or pack whatever material it is down between the piston and cylinder wall or maybe even lose a part of whatever it is you're sticking down in there to try and "fix" the problem and thus creating a new problem. If it's grit, it will get vaporized during combustion, I say leave it where it sits and don't disturb it. At least that's what I would do.