Cosmetically original condition, i.e. unrestored, early cars (up to +/- 1960 ?)... | FerrariChat

Cosmetically original condition, i.e. unrestored, early cars (up to +/- 1960 ?)...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by TTR, Nov 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    ... how many might still exist today ? Less than 10 ? More than 20 ?
    Any educated estimates/guess' ?
    I mean original paint, interior and other "as it left factory" major details & finishes.

2. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Twenty years ago...sorry, twenty one years ago at the “Ferrari at 50” display at the Peterson Automotive Museum there was an unrestored car with seriously checking paint. I can’t remember the model (I want to guess 330GTC, but it was 21 years ago)...it was at the museum because of its ownership history, not its rarity. The story at the time was that it was going to get a sympathetic mechanical refurbishment, but the cosmetics were going to stay the same...

I’ve often wondered what has happened to it...my pessimistic guess is that it has been over restored at least once or twice.

I love old survivor cars and motorcycles...patina is beautiful. I have a BMW R51/3 (motorcycle) that is getting a sympathetic mechanical refurbishment, but the cosmetics are staying the same. It’s okay to look old when you are old.

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Didn't the lacquer paints used on cars in the 1950s and 60s have a pretty short lifespan? It seems like it was not uncommon to see ads for cars only a few years old which had already been repainted once.

4. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Timo I think this comes close
    66 Australian delivery - a little outside your parameter.
    As far as we can see never repainted or upholstered (but looking a little tired) Am just trying to keep it clean and original as possible but new exhaust was neccesary.

pshoejberg and 375+ like this.
  5. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    I know, I know, rear speakers wrong

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It was also really inexpensive to repaint a car back in the good old days.

My ‘67 330 GT left the factory in white but was repainted silver just a couple of years later.

Matt

7. daytonaman

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Why is it IMPOSSIBLE to post multiple photos without duplications.
    I notice I am not the only one with this problem

8. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    Very nice car. Can you please post some more pics, e.g. engine bay, carpets, etc. Details of engine bay would be great for reference if original, e.g. where were Cheney clamps used, etc.

Thanks a lot
    Chris

9. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Looks like some real Australian dust in the trunk!!!

Great shots and nice orig car for sure!

10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Howard, I am/was aware of your car and truly appreciate its originality also, but with all due respect, my interest in this topic thread is earlier cars and I would actually like to narrow it further down to "First decade" (i.e. pre-1958 or pre-PF Coupe/S II Cab) production/road cars, but wouldn't mind if any (same era) "survivor" even numbered or other race cars are listed or included in estimates.

11. DMWC

DMWC Formula 3

Jan 23, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David C
    Wonderful car Howard - great to see that you are enabling Australian delivered cars to stay in Australia, and that you are keeping it in such fine condition.

12. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    You're Right.

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Italians used resin filled (acrilico) and also physically cured (sint.) paints in 50's and early 60's already. These behave very differently compared with cellulose filled paints widely used in UK at that time, which tend to shrink like hell. 5% shrinkage would equal to a 1mm wide crack every 20mms - roughly an inch. The use of new paint technology was absolutely necessary as expensive cars were almost painted with metallic colors. I am quite sceptic about any claim of original paintwork on a 50-year-old car as materials tend to evaporate slowly and a after all those years a coat of paint would besides being full of dents and scratches also be so thin that it would likely fall off as everything keeping it together has already gone into the air. As a result I am quite sure that most if not all of the cars that claim to carry original paintwork have been repainted, often several times when still relatively new. Increasing the amount of layers helps to keep the paint together and as a result we may have an old car with a nicely patinated old coat of paint that holds together because it is two or three times thicker than it would be compared to a flaking "factory original".

14. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #14 TTR, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    As you can see Howard, you're far from only one getting sidetracked from initial thread topic, including me now with the reply below. :rolleyes:

"donv said:
    Didn't the lacquer paints used on cars in the 1950s and 60s have a pretty short lifespan? It seems like it was not uncommon to see ads for cars only a few years old which had already been repainted once.
    "

I know several and have seen many more pre-war cars still wearing their original (nitrocellulose lacquer ?) paints and I know many '50s/'60' cars with original (acrylic lacquer) finishes.
    I'm actually in the process of negotiating an acquisition of a mid-'30s two-owner car wearing its factory original paint that looks amazingly nice.