F355 Market | Page 131 | FerrariChat

F355 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, May 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  2. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Best part about that link is all the positive vibes about the car. “Why we love them....” (paraphrasing) etc.

Single handily the best looking and sounding car in the last 25 years. You have to be a life long car guy with a level head and lots and lots of automotive experience to get and understand this. Flip up headlights do date them, but fits the car and the time period. Otherwise they do so many things right. Drive great, sound great. Fit the body, mind and soul well.

99.9 percent of us get it and why we spend energy and time discussing it. Cannot convince anyone of this; they have to experience it themselves. Unfortunately some guys (gals to) have a poor experience and tarnish the dialogue with that bias. I believe it is unfounded, but expensive parts and not doing some DIY can make ownership expensive. But compared to golfing (club membership) travel, aircraft or boats, these things are like Toyota’s or Honda’s

I guess if values go up, selling becomes stupid because you cannot easily replace a good one. Hell, who knows? I just know that every time I drive it, I smile, laugh and feel like I am 16 again and just too a joyride in dad’s 911 Turbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Von Bon and Enzojr like this.
  3. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Bang on bought. Right in the kill zone
    Well bought and well sold.

4. mshobe

mshobe Karting

Mar 28, 2015
    Seattle-ish
    I'm hoping for a slight, "Motronic 2.7 premium" on my otherwise similar '95 someday. Otherwise, completely agree, given the current market forces.

5. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Contsructive criticism accepted. :)

I use the hood test to see how straight the car is.

Any estimates on how long it takes the valve covers to flake? Rifledriver did mine 6 years ago and they look great. My first 355 had flaky valve covers and I suspect it went MANY years without a major.

6. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Flaky valve covers don’t necessarily mean it’s gone without a major it could mean they have just never been refinished. Here are mine (the paint was flaking and would come off to the touch, yet it had 3 engine out majors at the authorized Ferrari service center prior to its 4th engine out service where I refinished the covers and now just over 3 years on they are still perfect. I don’t think the factory primed them and subsequently the adhesion isn’t the best.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

phrogs likes this.
  7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Elliott is correct, the wrinkle paint is applied to bare aluminum and it's still done like that today. Seems the failure varies. My 98 has the original paint and it's not flaking at all. My buddies 360 is the same.

Wrinkle paint takes a long time to harden and when it does it's very hard. I suspect many failures are a result of poor preparation.

carnutdallas likes this.
  8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am thinking the outside environment makes a big difference as well.

My cars paint is way older than it was when i bought it and the wrinkle paint was good when I bought it and its still good.

9. f355930

f355930 Rookie

Mar 23, 2018
  10. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I never even thought of that. Why refinish at the major if they don’t need it? Rifeldriver did my last major 6 years ago and mine still look perfect.

phrogs likes this.
  11. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I think it would depend on how damaged it was, where it was, and how it was fixed.

In my experience Ferrari owners sometimes go very cheep on body work or were totaly taken advantage of by a shop and didn't know any better. But many Are not repaired worth a ****. This one passed inspection somewhere and was cleared good for the road so It would make a great car to beat on and not have to worry about its value.

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I understand what your saying and kinda agree but if an owner went to all the trouble of paying for an engine out and was too cheap to fix the covers I would not buy that car because I would feel i could find one with a more respectful pr vious owner.

Yassa likes this.
  13. Kruegmeister

Kruegmeister Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 24, 2016
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Kruegmeister
    Should this return some scary results?
    I think Google is broke for me! I never get anything I'm looking for anymore...

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

LOL. Grant, are you seriously going to judge the condition of a car by the valve covers? I can think of dozens of things more important.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  15. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    ZFFXR48A9V0108800 shows up for sale at a number of different places, with a wide range of prices if I remember correctly.

16. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I didn't find anything either, maybe the poster confused it with another car or maybe he was referring to the previous sales prices.

17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    BOKE likes this.
  18. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  19. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #3269 kenneyd, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    I saw those two, but those are not all listings. I see only two, it is currently listed on imperial, and looks to be previously on wheelsrus.

All those other websites are repost sites, I believe they just skim the net for listings, and then repost them to make money on clicks, page ads or leads referrals.
    I've listed a few cars for sale on ebay years ago, when I google the vins they still show up on dozens of repost sites, like 2040-cars, autoquid, bestride, myclassiccar, topcheapcar, myclassicgarage, inventory etc etc, as well as all those vincheck site.

Again, most of those links are not dealers, they are mostly repost sites.

20. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  21. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Nor do I, and I'm not positive how those sites work, but it appears the prices are arbitrary, or sometimes the ebay starting bid. Remember, they work off clickbait.

The only thing personal is I believe there are a few people who's YouTube videos, reviews or forum comments literally drag our cars down, specifically their value. A few of those people post here. If only those people could have owned a 993tt instead lol
    If I have a chance to dispel some myths here, I will

BOKE likes this.
  22. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Ken,
    If you have read my other posts in this section you would know my feelings on folks posting bad information that drags the prices down. By the way, I recently sold my 1998 355 GTS F1 after 20 years of ownership for six figures. If it wasn't for health reasons I never would have parted with my car. Good cars fetch good money.

Unfortunately, 355s are among the cheapest Ferraris available for bottom feeders. The cheap cars are all unsorted, and never are sorted properly by new owners and keep turning over at lower prices. This phenomenon only makes the best cars worth more in the long run IMHO.
    Cheers,
    Marc

23. f355930

f355930 Rookie

Mar 23, 2018
    If I was an F1 buyer (expert mechanical guru) would offer $33-35k drive to like a champ. I have seen some 1 owner cars with no major service over 10 years making new owner appear as certified bottom feeders.

24. CTE55AMG

CTE55AMG Karting

Jul 19, 2010
    Stratford, CT
    The “sold for” price is not reflective of the actual sold price, on my auction at least. My reserve was not met but BAT made up for the difference using the sellers fee.