Take your best shot- Your best photo of your 308 or 328 | Page 152 | FerrariChat

Take your best shot- Your best photo of your 308 or 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fairview, Apr 1, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Rob, can you be exact about this in terms of pixel dimensions? Your software may also determine the compression algorithm and that might be critical in maintaining threshold.

Tim

Martin308GTB likes this.
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I’m in the car, but download a resized image and look at dimensions.

3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Will do. But I have to find one, which displays perfectly here. Most do not I assume when comparing my originals with my uploaded results.

Best from Germany
    Martin

4. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    From the dozen or so images I looked at it appears that your software forces all images to be no wider than 800 pixels at 72dpi resolution.
    If that's true there is no way for anyone's image to look great.

In contrast Rennlist, for instance, allows images to be greater than 1280 pixels wide which makes a big difference in quality.
    I'm sure it's just a setting in your site controls.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #3780 Martin308GTB, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    This is a good proposal, if you are willing to pay for a host. But no good solution if you want it for free. For instance; I once thought photobucket is a great picture host and used it for a lot of pics on a german forum.
    Then one day, they wanted money for linking to forums. All pics gone. I'm sure more and more others will catch up.
    Currently Flickr begins to delete unpaid uploads.
    Part of our subscription costs is unlimited file upload. BTW, the main reason why I subscribe. So why should we use external storage with the risk, that pictures disappear one day. Especially annoying if the pics are part of extensive reports in the technical sections, which usually caused some effort to create.

"The first and most important thing of a photograph is sharpness"
    (Robert Frank, US-photographer, born 1924)

Best from Germany
    Martin

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There is very little demand for higher resolution images within FerrariChat. I do recognize there are some users like yourself and some unique situations that higher resolution desired. Since we’re hosting the images and everyone uploads the native image anyway (remember when we didn’t auto-resize) we need some control. Our server is already up to 300+ GB of images even at this resolution. If we upped it, all uploaded images would be higher too even though it would only be desired in about 1% of the photos. Also keep in mind over half our usage is mobile now, so everything needs to be mobile friendly (view and data). We’ve always told users if you want someone else’s high res then ask the user offline, if you want to post high res, then link it.

My earlier point was you can produce a higher resolution image at 800 pixels on your end than letting our software resize. I do promise that I’ll ask tech if we can up the resolution of our auto-resize while also keeping 800 pixels. I still don’t think that will be good enough for you though.

7. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #3782 Martin308GTB, Nov 3, 2018
    Based on the fact, that my travel laptop has a 500 GB SSD and a 1TB HD, your 300+ GB surprises me. (that it's so little)

It's a pity, that demand for high quality pics doesn't exist anymore. But doesn't surprise me in times when folks are satisfied with the sound of bluetooth scream cubes or ear pods.

Best from Germany
    Martin

8. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have already produced numerous 800 pixel wide test images and none looked good. You can't water down resolution that far and expect quality.

Memory is cheaper and cheaper — to Martin's point.

Understood about mobile usage. I also often see people zooming on their phones to get more detail in images (especially car guys). People are taking more images than ever on their phones.

I would also point out that image sensors on cameras and phones are increasing in resolution (just like internal memory, processor speed, and screen size in many cases) so in order to stay in step with trends you might bump the 800 pixel limit up to at least 1280 or higher.

Martin308GTB likes this.
  9. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Rob:

Look at the images on Rennlist. 1280 makes a huge difference.

One of the things you said above about the desirability of higher resolution only being wanted in about 1% of the photos doesn't sound right to me. How do you quantify what people want if every image uploaded changes to low resolution automatically?

I would offer the massive popularity of sites like Instagram as evidence of resolution desirability.

As a user of Ferrarichat and someone who has spent thousands of dollars with several of your sponsors I would hope you would at least come up to modern day standards.

Thanks,

Tim

vaccarella and Martin308GTB like this.
  10. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    An image size which was perfectly reasonable in 2002. ;)

11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #3786 Martin308GTB, Nov 3, 2018
    Around the time, when FChat launched its first update and we all had to reregister :) And which existed till 2017. Now we have fancy round Apple-like avatars (which I hate btw), an eye maltreating red theme (which I luckily could switch to blue) and other useful things, but a picsize of 300pixels.

BTW, for whom would like to take a look into the early beginnings with the very first software:

http://web.archive.org/web/20031205163247/www.ferrarichat.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

Best from Germany
    Martin

12. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Sorry, wanted to write '800 pixels'. Not, that it matters a lot.

Best from Germany
    Martin

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    When desktops had sizing of mobile, but now we actually have mobile! :/

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    sorry, 0.0000745%. 4,000 posts a day for 5 years and these 5 posts or so are the first request. :D ;) just kidding.

15. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yes, but not just tiny smartphones are mobile, but also for instance an Ipad Pro, where the pictures here look just as poor.
    And I'm sure, that there are a lot of users, who are browsing FChat on their Desktops or Notebooks (like me). Or is FChat latterly mainly aimed at the kids? Then I would claim 'wrong audience'.

Best from Germany
    Martin

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
  17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    So Yin did some research and with modern phones you can at least do 1080 and be OK, not sure about anything larger at this point.

Archer911 likes this.
  18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #3794 Martin308GTB, Nov 3, 2018
    Rob,

the problem is not, what I can do with my mobile device. The problem is, that your software shrinks the picture to 800 pixels, no matter how big my native file was.
    My Ipad Air -no more the latest model- has a 5 Mpixels camera. So a reasonable resolution would be no problem at all

And honestly, the number you mention -1080- sounds as if we were talking about videos and not photos. Full HD video ---> 1080p.

Best from Germany
    Martin

19. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

My issue is that I can post pics/upload pics from my iPhone but not my iPad......??

prober34 likes this.
  20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    What browser do you use on your Ipad? Native iOS Safari or a different one?

Best from Germany
    Martin

21. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Safari

22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R