Red Bull F1 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Red Bull F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Except Toyota/Prius employed 'MGU-K' before the current F-1 Hybrid era. F-1 was/is not leading technical change in the automotive industry.

daytona355 likes this.
  2. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

And the whole Prius rhetoric is a racket.

Apparently the nickel contained in the batteries is mined and smelted at a plant in Ontario that's caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the 'dead zone' around the plant to test moon rovers.

JLF and daytona355 like this.
  3. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

OK, but F1 accelerates technical development, or you want to deny that too ?

4. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I highly doubt that any mass produced hybrid will employ a MGU-H. So for what components is F1 accelerating the technical development?

daytona355 likes this.
  5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Very ambitious talk. Cannot wait for testing to assess how they will do potentially!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139801/rbr-honda-can-make-verstappen-2019-champion

Red Bull is now so confident in the Honda package that it has set a target of making Max Verstappen Formula 1's youngest-ever world champion in 2019.

Sebastian Vettel currently holds that record, having secured his first title with Red Bull in 2010 aged 23 years and 134 days.

That means Verstappen, currently 21, has until 2020 to take the honour - but Red Bull motorsport advisor Helmut Marko said there are "no excuses" not to try to achieve it in 2019.

He sees the team's form in Mexico, where the altitude put Renault on a par with rivals Mercedes and Ferrari, as a sign of how strong the Red Bull chassis is and is confident 2019 engine supplier Honda is already superior to Renault.
    "We're really looking forward to next year," Marko told Autosport.

"The aim is to have the youngest world champion. Two years we have, but we'll go for it next year.

"We know the first year with a new engine manufacturer is not easy.

"But the aim, and the goal that I've told all the people, is that we have to go for the championship from the beginning. No excuses."

Marko admitted that Honda reliability could be a concern, but he stressed that the high number of engine changes current Honda team Toro Rosso has accrued in 2018 is related to a strategy of wanting to test new developments. "It's tactical to get the best for next year," he said.

"Toro Rosso are sacrificing their season for next year. It's part of our concept that we have with Honda.

"The figures are already ahead of Renault.

"But even so if you have one or two starts from the back, with Verstappen there's some excitement.

"On the radio he's talking like he's sitting with a cup of tea. The sort of information he is asking for... He's unbelievable. There is no limit yet."

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner agreed after Verstappen's commanding Mexican Grand Prix win that his driver can take on the established title contenders next year.

"You've seen this weekend if we've an engine that's anywhere near the ballpark of our opponents then we've got a strong enough team and strong enough driver package to take the fight to them," Horner said.

"We're obviously hopeful that the Honda, with the progress they're making, will put us into the situation that we're more regularly able to compete like we are here - with the optimum downforce and setting on the car."

6. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

We don't know if MGU-H will not find some application in the motor industry in future.
    I doubt that the ICE will be completely eliminated from the planet;
    I am thinking about trucks, ships, etc ...

Even apart from that, F1 is a terrific test bench for the development of technologies, new and old.

7. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Why is Red Bull making such bombastic comments? Probably it's a way to rub salt in the wound and denigrate Renault.
    They already want to sell the bear skin before killing it, as we say.

Marko, Horner and else could fall flat on their face if Honda doesn't deliver and look silly in case of failure.
    Maybe they think the others will stand still and make no progress during the inter season. I doubt it.

daytona355 likes this.
  8. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Even if the Honda engine is better than the Renault, this makes it still not equal to the Mercedes and Ferrari.... both on power and maybe more important on reliability..
    How many Mercedes and Ferrari engines failed this year???

stavura, Patrick Dixon and DF1 like this.
  9. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Honda's 'C spec' engine is said to be somewhere between Renault and Ferrari in terms of power. Couple that with Red Bull's super-efficient aero package and I believe they have a contender against the muscle-bound Ferrari/Mercedes efforts. The design paradigm of Red Bull compared to Ferr/Merc is so different as Red Bull knew they would always have less power so they really had to build a finesse car. More power in an already finessed machine in the hands of Max is a scary proposition.

10. DF1

Yes I agree. Reliability is all I will say. That is the question. The new aero rules do not provide Red Bull with an advantage yet. All will make changes so much is in question. We can expect Red Bull to be good but Ferrari and Mercedes are not aero idiots either lol :)

Ferraripilot and william like this.
  11. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    As Enzo said: aero is for people not being able to built proper engines :D

crinoid, stavura, daytona355 and 2 others like this.
  12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  13. DF1

An understandable question. We shall have to wait for answers. Only Red Bull really know the current status. All other is conjecture at the moment. My gut feeling is they will not find the engine that much better than Renault. Possibly worse as well. Again, the testing with Toro is about to end. They will have to soon produce the Red Bull spec and integrate it. Nothing that Toro shows tells me this is about to elevate Red Bull. We shall see. One cannot doubt resources of Honda available to produce an engine and develop it.
    Mercedes and Ferrari have very strong engines currently.

375+ and william like this.
  14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    RedBull/Honda to get a fuel boost by ExxonMobil.

15. DF1

Honda has revealed plans to accelerate the development of its Formula 1 turbo, having agreed a technology partnership with Japanese industrial company IHI.

Ahead of its tie-up with Red Bull for 2019, Honda has announced an enhanced deal with IHI - which it has worked with since returning to F1 in '15.

Katsuhide Moriyama, chief officer and brand and communications at Honda, said: "We expect this partnership to produce a notable step up in performance. Together, we will keep pushing to fight for wins."

IHI is one of the class leaders in rotating machinery technology, which it has developed through its shipbuilding and steam turbine business.

The deal will last for two years and the first components from the new cooperation will arrive as part of Honda's 2019 engine.

IHI's Yoshinori Kawasaki said: "Through this new technical partnership, our aim is for the Honda PU to deliver the best possible performance, by accelerating development of the turbocharger.

"We hope that as from the 2019 season, Honda's power unit, using the IHI turbocharger, will deliver the sort of performance that thrilled motorsport fans back in the 80s and 90s."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/140009/honda-gets-new-partner-to-help-turbo-progress

16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Cool. The F40 has twin IHI turbo's.

17. DF1

So it is Toro Testo now lol - I guess Honda needs more help LOL
    Team principal Franz Tost says Toro Rosso expect to continue their "guinea pig" development role for senior outfit Red Bull Racing in 2019. The two teams are both owned by the same parent company. (F1i.com)

18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    TAG is staying with RedBull till 2021 even though their name won't appear.

19. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Its mechanical power delivery can still make people **** their pants :D

daytona355 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  20. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    That’s because when you put your foot flat, being used to the newer cars you expect it to go straight away, f40 spools up for a second THEN slams you at the horizon like a fairground ride.... scary at first, then you chase that thrill at the exit of every corner you can find, it’s absolutely amazing to drive at the edge, and so close to killing you!

SimCity3 likes this.
  21. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Still the daddy of supercars.

daytona355 likes this.
  22. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

No, that was the McLaren F1 that regularly beat the F40 on the track and also won Le Mans !!

23. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak

F40 is the coolest, and could hit 200mph. Good enough for me....... I prefer my cars with soul

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    william likes this.
  25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008