Potentially adding a 720 to my garage | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Potentially adding a 720 to my garage

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by SoCal to az, Sep 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    were you there today? There was one other car that was almost identical to mine- he pulled up i even guided him over to park near me and my friends but he kept going- not sure he saw me - but his was mclaren orange. Other than that, very similar spec!

Coffee and Cars Scottsdale isn't what it used to be- too spread out and not as much fun.

2. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I saw it on mclaren scottsdale live stream on instagram stories.

SoCal to az likes this.
  3. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ahhh, got it. I was supposed to drive up with them but had my Own caravan with friends.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  4. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Damn that glacier white is beautiful as well. I’d take papaya spark over anything I think but glacier white is probably #2.

ekovalsky and SoCal to az like this.
  6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

Geez! Those things are like Honda Civics in Scottsdale! :)

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  7. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino

Geez! Those things are like Honda Civics in Scottsdale! :)

SoCal to az likes this.
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    It has been two days and the honeymoon period is still there so take this with the grain of salt. I see no issues with engagement. Is it as loud and raw as the 488? No. But that’s not as loud or raw as a 458 which is not as loud or raw as an f12, etc etc. bottom line it the car with twin turbos is not the loudest and rawest but other than that- holy crap! And that you can fix with an exhaust if that’s your thing- I’m totally content with the car as is. I do have the performance factory exhaust.

I kept hearing how superior the carbon tub is on the mclaren. Didn’t believe it till I drove it. Just the tightness and stiffness of the car- unreal.

I keep hearing Ferrari is being left behind- is it true? Man, I don’t know but all I know is mclaren at the moment has stepped it up several notches. The 488 replacement which I’m sure will be epic needs to really go balls out and beat the 720. It has to.

The 720 is soo good, I’ve lost any interest in trying to get a Pista. Would rather just wait and see what the 488 replacement does and trade in my Ferrari for that. The plan is to continue to rotate the 488 and 720 with each new model. Good news is they are on different production cycles which makes it nicer.

Well, that’s the plan anyways, finances, business climate etc will all certainly dictate the future but all in all- 720- big fat thumbs up.

Gh21631, of2worlds, ekovalsky and 2 others like this.
  9. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Good feedback. I will ping you here in 4 weeks after the honeymoon is over to get the sense at that point.

Certainly seems like a keeper though. I'm surprised you are keeping 488, but that might change over the coming months.

Good stuff and wish you continued enjoyment in that stunner.

10. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Ferrari and McLaren are 180 degrees out of phase in their development cycles... which creates a perfect opportunity to rotate them.

Or, trade that 488 for a F12. What a great pairing that would be :cool:

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Honestly if I trade the 488 in right now, I’ll get hammered. It’s probably close to the bottom of the curse. Tht famous Ferrari doesn’t depreciate seems to have missed this generation. Might as well keep it and enjoy the hell out of it and swap it for the replacement in a few years.

I was going to try for the Pista but I think I’d rather wait for replacement or wait for Pista prices to come down. It won’t hold value like a Speciale- Ferrari needs to build a ton cause they are a public company.

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    488 will drop a fair amount more tbh.

IPO1 likes this.
  13. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Maybe....it’s ok.

14. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    So when I write my new book ME AND MY MCLAREN 720s, Your in!
    Melville is already in for the forward......Take lots of pictures, because words cannot describe how it drives! :)
    GTJOEY1314

Jo Sta7 and SoCal to az like this.
  15. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Book?? Lol. That’s awesome! I’ll be taking tons of pics with friends. Can send you whatever you want.

of2worlds and Jo Sta7 like this.
  16. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Hi def...….Ive got the caravan from New York and Texas going to the Indy 500 again this year.....it will be a part of it.
    Enjoy the ride my friend.
    GTJOEY1314

Jo Sta7 and SoCal to az like this.
  17. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Also no financial disincentive to trading a heavily depreciated car for another heavily depreciated car, i.e. 488 for F12. I would think the F12 is actually further down the depreciation path, they seem to be somewhat of a bargain for a V12 Ferrari.

Thecadster, Jo Sta7 and SoCal to az like this.
  18. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    F12 is nearing bargain territory but the ultimate Ferrari bargain at the moment to me is the 599. Crazy cheap for the performance.

tomc, SoCal to az and Gh21631 like this.
  19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you come through Pittsburgh please let me know Id love to meet up for a spirited drive!

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    599 is a beauty as well

21. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My wife drove the car today. Had to put it into comfort mode. Defiantly sucked being the passenger being driven 35mph in the car in 7th gear. Lol

exoticcardreamer likes this.
  22. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    It's even more interesting in a convertible... dropping the top makes zero difference in stiffness. The first time I drove one I got back in my 911 and thought something broke and actually took it to my mechanic the next day to have it looked at.

23. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Going in for clear bra tomorrow. Also gonna get the windshield covered. I want no dings on this bad boy!

of2worlds likes this.
  24. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I was worried the 720 wouldn’t fit under my lift. I knew putting on top would not be a problem but consider I’ll be driving it more in the near term, didn’t want to park it on top and move the 488 every time.

I ordered some adhesive pads from amazon for about 20 bucks and put a bunch on the driver side where the door would hit. Lift ain’t even all the way up and while it’s a bit of gymnastics for me to crawl in and out, it’s totally doable! Very happy cause I would be screwed if this option didn’t work.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, pshep138 and Gh21631 like this.