Catalytic converter temp question? | FerrariChat

Catalytic converter temp question?

Discussion in '348/355' started by vinny, Oct 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    What temperature should I have at the 02sensor? Mine reads 510 on the right side and 460 on the left.should they be running the same temp and is 510 too high?.....thanks in advance!

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The idle temperatures are not very meaningful.

The exhaust gas inside a catalytic converter is over 2,000ºF when running the motor hard. This is higher than when it left the cylinder.
    The outside of the converter should never get over 1200ºF when a mechanic is in a position to measure it.
    Ferrari F355 Exhaust unit sets its temperature alarm in the 1700ºF range.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think it also triggers a CEL if there is a significant temperature different between the banks. I'm assuming your CELs and SDLs are working, Vinny?

4. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    should both banks have the same temperature?

5. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Yes the lights are working...the right SDL came on but didn't stay on.wondering if it's the sensor or the converter....thanks, Vinny

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I was wondering why you'd randomly test your exhaust temperatures. I thought you'd bought a new toy and wanted to test it out.

I don't think you could exclude a real engine/exhaust problem just because the light was intermittent. There could be an impending problem. You could try swapping the "converters" (Thermocouple TCUs) to see if the light switches banks.

(EDIT: I just discovered that your profile says you have a 1991 348TS... There are differences between 355s and 348s.)

7. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Thanks, I will try swapping them

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Close to the same temperature,
    variation at idle means the throttle bodies need adjustment:: 25º is ignorable.
    variation at 100% throttle means the 02 sensors, fuel injectors, fuel pressure, headers, or ECU is not right.

Qavion likes this.
  9. vinny

vinny Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    R.I.
    Full Name:
    Vincent Pitocco
    Thanks for the reply