Brilliant 1950s Ferrari F1 article by Doug Nye | FerrariChat

Brilliant 1950s Ferrari F1 article by Doug Nye

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Timmmmmmmmmmy, Nov 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
  2. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Thanks Tim...y.
    I agree, very well written.
    While I'm not a big racing fan or even too familiar with it, I enjoyed reading it and really like his closing "arguments" regarding difficulties facing those attempting to "document" history 60+ years after the events with very limited or nonexistent access to equipment & individuals originally involved.

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  3. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I think it also speaks of the issues with trying to recreate anything, for which close enough should be good enough but plenty of anoraks will simply complain that it isn't perfect or 100% accurate.

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes it is very easy to extrapolate the wrong conclusions, to not understand how -for example- cultural differences can mean that you misjudge what took place or not and why. I am in the middle of research for a major article and just a few sentences from one of the key actors has shed conclusive light on something pretty major. He had never been interviewed about the topic...and that was in 1962! That is why interviews of the protagonists are so valuable one of my most important ones was Paul Frere, a huge interview for two books back in the summer of 2007...six months before he passed away, it may have been his last ome, fantastic insight. The alternative when theya e gone is period interviews (golden nuggets) or quotes (often very limited but they can yield good info).

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.