3500 GT tyres | FerrariChat

3500 GT tyres

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Longstone Tyres, Nov 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    does anyone have a build sheet for an early 3500gt listing what tyres it fitted?

2. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    To my know ledge it was the Cinturato https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/maserati/3500gt/185vr16-pirelli-cinturato-ca67.html

However there is some speculation among the Jaguar XK community that Pirelli weren't making 185-16 Radial tyres in period. some people think that they weren't available in 16" in the '50s

i know the Cinturato radial was developed in 1952. and i know they initially made them in 400mm rim size. however i would like proof that '50s Masers fitted them as OE if anyone has some

Dougal

P.S. this is somethinng interesting for people involved with '50s Maserati https://www.tyretradenews.co.uk/news/pirellis-stella-bianca-is-back-the-tyre-that-revolutionised-the-industry

3. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Early 3500GT had 650 x 16

This is documented on the user manuals of the early 3500GT, and also it was listed on the technical build sheet of 3500GT #504, which was built on August 1959. I do not know when they switched to the Cinturatos.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Ivan

4. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Thank You The Car Nut. that is exactly what i was looking for. I must admiit it isn't the answer i was hoping for. I thought it was Cinturato in 59 so i must live and learn.

Can i ask what country this car was delivered to?

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    It was delivered to California, USA. It was the first spyder but I doubt the tires would have been different on a spyder vs the coupe.

Ivan

6. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

I was thinking it might have been different because it was delivered to the States. Those European types were much more keen on radial tyre technology. The Uk was much slower, and i think the States was slower still.

7. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The first owner of this 3500GT spyder was a gentleman racer. He purchased the car directly from Maserati at the same time he purchased a Tipo 61 Birdcage. I would think he would have opted for the Cinturatos had those been offered as an alternative.

Perhaps others with an early 3500GT can share what their technical build sheet specifies as the original tires.

Ivan

8. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Wow What a dude. I want to go shopping with him. I would love to see some more build sheets. specially cars that were supplied within Eurfopeland. though that probably wasn't so many as we didn't have any money