Ferrari 360 Modena Sticky Button Cleaning at home. Before/After | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Modena Sticky Button Cleaning at home. Before/After

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tarek307, Nov 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    #1 Tarek307, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    I know there have been many threads and this is beat to death but i want to share my experience maybe this helps someone.

So i just bought a 360 and saw the disgusting sticky buttons, it was the first project i would tackle. Personally i couldn't afford or bring my self to shell out the thousands it costs to send out to get them professionally refinished, of course they turn out 100% perfect better than new if you do that, but you pay dearly for it.

I left everything intact didn't remove anything from the car (results would be even better if i had done this)

You will need.

-99% Isopropyl Alcohol (i bought from amazon & it also said electronics safe)
    -Blue painters tape to tape around some of the stuff (towards the end i didn't even use that)
    -Gloves so you keep the sticky stuff off your hands
    -Lint free towels.
    -Bottle of water and some paper towels
    -2 hours of your time approximately.

I also did the steering wheel surround thing and the STOP / and circulation buttons but didn't get a chance to take a before photo. Overall i'm super happy with the results. My AC vents aren't too sticky so i did not do them maybe i'll do later (you will lose the arrows when you do these)

.The only area where you will lose the script is the LOCK on the doors & the arrows on the AC vents that is it. (The plastic beneath all the parts is Matte black so you don't need to worry that it will turn out shiny like on the 448 or other models)

Directions:

-Tape around the area you will clean, i heard the alcohol could damage the paint on the trim , however eventually i was scrubbing without even taping an area, and after scrubbing i would just wet some paper towel and clean off any trim or leather areas alcohol got on -

-Apply the alcohol to the towel, get the area you want to clean wet with the alcohol and scrub scrub scrub, not too hard but just hard enough, the stuff comes rite off with a few tries- some areas won't be 100% but you can do them again later, i myself am an impatient person so my results are whats below.

Remember, i didn't remove any parts from the car, and i am an impatient person, so didn't really spend too much time doing it, if i had removed parts or even taken my time with them on the results would be even better.

BEFORE & AFTER PICS

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    If you are lucky, not always the case

Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you are lucky, not always the case, like this 430 panel

3. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Tarek307, when you are ready to do your air vents, you can either send the entire set of 5 to StickyRX (which has a package price for all 5) or do them 1 at a time. I only needed to do 1 vent myself as my car had the stickies refinished by the dealer some time in the past. This tool set from Harbor Freight was the cats meow for popping out the vents without knicking the leather: https://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-pry-bar-installer-kit-4-pc-63594.html

4. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Thanks man. I'll probably just do them myself since easy to pop on and off i'll remove and do, i don't care about the little arrows on it.

5. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    As much as I am a DYI guy, the results do not hold a candle to what Sticy RX can do.

SoftwareDrone and Dave rocks like this.
  6. tomconte

tomconte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 15, 2010
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Conte
    My hourly consulting rate makes it not cost effective to instead of working, to spend two hours with gloves on rubbing off gunk.

Dave rocks likes this.
  7. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Well thats because you guys are big ballers, for the peasants such as myself that can't spend $4,000 on sending them out this DIY and spending around 2 hours on them is quite a satisfactory result.

pilam99, Flea7, RedTaxi and 14 others like this.
  8. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Griot's Garage also has a nice set of these.

9. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    With some cars dropping in the $70k range, paying more than 5% of the value of entire car to clean a few sticky buttons seems questionable IMHO.

Granted when these cars were $140k years ago it made more sense.

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I agree. Paying any kind of money to CLEAN the parts is not a good value. But, our service is a refinishing / restoration service and not a cleaning service - there is quite a difference and why I post in these threads so the lay person can learn the difference ;)

11. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Sure... But whether it's 'cleaning' or 'restoring' it is cosmetic and doesn't change my opinion unless you are trying to show your car. Again, that's my opinion and others will feel differently, including yourself.

Honestly, most soccer moms on my street are rolling in SUVs worth more than most 360 cars.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Right. Everyone maintains their cars differently. Some just drive them into the ground. Others keep them pristine. Thankfully for us, most Ferrari owners are the later and the amount of business we have is proof :)

Doctor Mark likes this.
  13. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    $4K ?? Holy Hell----Who is charging those rates?? Certainly not us

tomconte likes this.
  14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The cost of service varies based on the quality of work. Given we don't clean parts, use coatings that can be removed with rubbing alcohol, apply decals for graphics and ship parts with dust in the finish, drives the cost. Hamburger always costs less than filet mignon :)

I've never understood how some can claim to "refinish" when they just clean.

15. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Guys it cost me $15 & less than 2 hours and my car is a pristine clean car plus i'm very anal- the results look great to me, and if i was to remove the parts the results would have been near perfect. i'm not sure what more can be done to a button like this for example.

If i wanted to RESTORE the interior thats another story. I'm happy with CLEANING it & making it look presentable

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  17. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah

Dave now those look better than new! wow..Ferrari should sublet their buttons to you guys lol. If i had the extra cash i would definitely have loved to use your service,but for now i'm happy with my cleaning results.

Graz and Dave rocks like this.
  18. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    That answered my question..lol

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes, it was a factual answer ;) You get what you pay for :)

20. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    I don't date touch my vent dials. Eww.

Dave rocks likes this.
  21. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Looks great.... Especially compared to how it looked before.

Dave rocks likes this.
  22. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The only thing people are getting here is bamboozeled. Paying 3 or 4k to clean sticky stuff off is highway robbery and just a ferreari tax. Save your money guys and do it yourself, or send it to someone who is reasonable like Robbie. This isnt brain surgery

one4torque and bellwilliam like this.
  23. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    All our prices are posted online for the world to see, no hidden charges, marked up fees, depending on who our customers are...So yes, you get what you pay for, if you know what the price is ahead of time...lol----I've heard plenty of stories about this exact thing over the last couple years from other competitors, quoting one price and jacking up the price or giving a time frame and then telling a customer to get the parts back in that time, it is more money. Our customers know ahead of time EXACTLY what the costs are, sometimes it is even less than quoted. Only one reason someone hides their prices, in my opinion.

E60 M5 likes this.
  24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    We provide price lists to any prospective customer - they know prices in advance. Our prices are the same for all. Please get your facts straight ;)

25. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

I have heard the exact same thing. Very scamish in my opinion. Anyone who doesnt put pricing up front first has something going on to hide. Very unprofessional.

fonso and bellwilliam like this.