Stradale Carbon Ceramic rotor wear | FerrariChat

Stradale Carbon Ceramic rotor wear

Discussion in '360/430' started by 355fiorano, Nov 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Guys what is your experience with CCM rotor wear?
    I seem to have had nearly 50% wear within 4k miles, of which I estimate 1.2k was track days.
    At the same time pads worn from new to 80% worn.
    This would mean that the rotors are about as consumable as the 2 sets of pads!
    I am assuming this is not normal. Any ideas of what the reasons could be? Also considering that the rotor wear is an algorithm calculation in the ECU vs actual wear.

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

1.2k of track use can be equal to 200k of street use if you push it hard. I've seen worst......
    so that really depends on how hard u push it and track characteristics.

3. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Are you actually measuring wear at the rotor? If for some reason the pads were switched out & a different (non-ceramic rotor friendly) compound was used - that would account for the rotor wear.

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Carbon ceramic rotors wear much faster in track use, because of the high heat they absorb. This literally vaporizes the material, which is why the way to measure wear accurately with them is to weigh them. It does seem surprising that the pads show less wear.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Change pads to Pagid RS19's.. I use the personally. Better for wear and used in endurance racing, take a little bit more warming up but are fab after a just a couple of stops. Pagid make the original pads for Ferrari btw.

XLNLIFE likes this.
  6. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Its awesome that you have 1200 miles in the CS on the track!

But...yeah...that will wear out a set of OEM rotors...pricey! I would switch to steel if tracking a lot...

7. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    A quick update. The Ferrari dealer pulled the previous years wear numbers (which somehow seem different to what they gave before) but they now show wear apparently 15% per 1500 miles (road & track) which sounds more reasonable
    Thanks for the replys
    @24000rpm i do push as hard as my skill allows :)
    @360trev thanks for the info. It's at the main dealer now so I can ask but they will only fit Ferrari approved and the car needs an MOT
    @need4speed I didn't know that but it makes sense. Somehow thought they should last longer that steel. My 355 rotors last for at least double the mileage ... and they don't cost the earth to change!

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Carbon ceramic rotors do last longer, but only if you don’t heat them to track levels.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app