Ferrari owners and supporters F1 appreciation thread | FerrariChat

Ferrari owners and supporters F1 appreciation thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by daytona355, Nov 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Who was the best ferrari driver ever?
    Who was worst?
    Which race was your favorite ever?
    What car represents the best F1 Ferrari produced?
    What car should we all try to forget?
    Hold old were you when you first fell under the spell of the red cars of Maranello?

Tell us all your Ferrari stories, why you chose to love the marque, what brought you under it’s spell and why even losing doesn’t shake you out of it!

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  2. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Okay, for me, Michael has to be the most complete, greatest driver I’ve ever seen. He made f1 what it is today, changed the drivers from a group of daredevils into a group of athletes focussed to win. His stamp on f1 will never be forgotten, even if it’s only a matter of time for points, wins etc to be surpassed given there are so many more points available these days, so many more races, and almost complete reliability.

There are so many races I enjoyed, it’s difficult to pin on one, but I enjoyed probably most his comeback race in 1999, returning to help eddie Irvine in his title tilt, whee he blew away the competition and played with them.... amazing race and amazing demonstration, although Brazil 2006 was entertaining, in his last race once again destroying the field to come back from last to fifth.

Jakuzzi, stavura, furoni and 5 others like this.
  3. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Cars wise, I can’t stand the awful hybrid crap attached to the current formula, so for me it would be Schumis F2002, what a fantastic machine that was.. eminently adaptable, fast as something naughty, it was almost imperious, and Ferrari at the time were in a constant development race, unlike today, where every single week someone found a few tenths and half tenths meaning that to stay out front, you had to work harder than ever. Schumi again showed his worth pounding out the laps of fiorano, testing testing testing until it was perfect and maintaining the edge to the point that with such small amendments to the rules for the following season, the car was still competitive into 2003, eventually to be replaced by the F2003 Gianni Agnetti

ago car nut likes this.
  4. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Biggest let down as a driver has to be giancarlo fisichella. Fisi managed to get his chance to drive for us for those few races, having done a stellar job at times in lesser machinery, and I really wanted to see him rise to the challenge. He is a fantastic talent behind the wheel of most of what he drives, so you’d have put money on him putting in a good turn. What on Earth happened? He bumbled race to race without ever even showing a spark of his talent.... I think after all of the interviews waxing lyrical over the years that he would relish the chance at ferrari, the day it came, he was overwhelmed, and he never recovered. Such a shame

5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I have to agree.

fil likes this.
  6. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Driver? They've had their fair share of greats.

But, I'm gonna toss a wild card here. Mario Andretti.

Won in whatever he drove, be it INDY, F!, Dirt Track, Sprint Cars, NASCAR, 24 hr or 12 hr endurance. Hell, I betcha he came in first in his neighborhood bike races, and someday, will finish first in wheelchair races at the home for old race car drivers. 1st F1 win was in a Ferrari.

Just an F1 guy? Schumacher based on results, Niki Lauda based on balls. He's really the 1st F1 driver I thought was crazy and brave, both for racing after the fire, and for NOT racing when the track was killer dangerous and wet, in Japan I think.

D

Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    We have a forum for Ferrari owners. If that's the point then this thread should be moved.

F1 forum is open for everybody, Ferrari owners, non owners and <oh gulp> even non Ferrari fans. Wow. Really? Yeah, really.

cig1 likes this.
  8. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    There are the very best driver from every era! So it is difficult to pick the best ever. I like MS because he turned the Ferrari into a unbeatable winner. The same can be said of Lauda, and Jack Brabham in his car. But I really miss the screaming N/A engines!

375+ and daytona355 like this.
  9. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Well I just passed 10K posts, so I'm the most recent Ferrari driver to be F1 World Champ. :)

I think the current V6 turbo/hybrid formula could be a lot better if they allowed more development and testing. IOW, it's more the hyper-regulation than the formula per se.

10. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

There's no harm in this thread, so why open that particular can of worms?

The only potential harm is non Ferrari fans jumping in with off-topic posts about other brands. Given the title of the thread, that would, by default, be trolling.

D

11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Worst driver Badoer, although has strong connections to my family. Best driver and one of Badoer’s very best friends, Schumy of corse!

Forza Ferrari!

stavura, Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  12. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    The 1990 641 was one of the most beautiful F1 cars

Makuono and Jakuzzi like this.
  13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Who was the best Ferrari driver ever? I know that Lauda and Schumacher will get most votes, but I pick Alberto Ascari. He was absolutely dominant in his two championship years, and even Fangio, in a reasonably good Maserati in 1953, couldn't compete. As as soon as he left for Lancia in 1954, Ferrari suddenly became very mediocre. If you consider all the drivers who ever drove for Enzo, I'd pick Tazio Nuvolari, who I think was the best Grand Prix driver of all time.

Who was worst? I'd go for Andrea de Adamich, who accomplished little during his brief time with the team in 1968 and seemed to be crashing all the time.

Which race was your favorite ever? The 1975 U.S. Grand Prix, mainly because it was the first race of any kind that I ever attended, and it was won by Niki Lauda in a Ferrari.

What car represents the best F1 Ferrari produced? I know the Schumacher cars will get a lot of votes, but I pick the 312T of 1975-76, mainly because I think the competition was tougher. In its limited time in 1976, before the T2 replaced it (only because of rule changes), it won every race it entered.

What car should we all try to forget? The original version of the 312B3, which was ugly and slow. It's hard to believe that the successful 1974 car was the same basic chassis underneath.

How old were you when you first fell under the spell of the red cars of Maranello? 14, when I saw "Grand Prix" and discovered the passione that surrounded the marque, especially in racing.

14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Really like this post. Being from the midwest, fairly close to Indy, Mario and his contemporaries is what I grew up with. When he moved to F1 I followed.

Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  15. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Wow. I love the responses here, shows that even within a relative small pool of drivers and cars from just one team, so many different takes on all aspects.

My love of the marque is almost dangerous, as we all know. It started when I was a young child watching Daytona’s race the streets of Sicily (cops appropriately paid off of course), and then whenever we’d visit, my uncles would have the latest models be it 308, 348 or nowadays 488s and 812s.

My own stable I’ve had every make of car I can think of, but I can never get the same emotion driving anything at all that I get when i sit in a ferrari of any type.

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

Makuono likes this.
  16. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Who was the best Ferrari driver ever?
    Michael, no doubt.
    Who was worst?
    Me, no doubt.
    Which race was your favorite ever?
    Brazil 2007, when Kimi clinched the title.
    Ferrari F2004 (but I have a soft spot for the "Sharknoses")
    The Kia Picanto
    Hold old were you when you first fell under the spell of the red cars of Maranello?
    At the age of 5...

Jakuzzi, stavura and G. Pepper like this.
  17. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    It isn't all that small a pool of drivers really (Wikipedia seems to think 77 Ferrari F1 drivers and I'm too lazy to check) when you're talking about the top echelon and many of the best drivers have driven for Ferrari at one time or another. I reckon 14 F1 world champions (Alonso, Andretti, Fangio, Farina, Hawthorn, Phil Hill, Lauda, Mansell, Prost, Raikkonen, Scheckter, Schumacher, Surtees, Vettel) and many of the rest won Grands Prix. I do note one name on the list, Piero Carini, that I guess I must have come across at some point in the past but had completely forgotten and really know nothing about him at all (apparently he retired from the 3 GPs he competed in for Ferrari). As Gatorrari says above, I am assuming, of course, that the thread title means starting from 1950 and thus excluding the likes of Nuvolari?

Then roughly one car a year gives 68 to choose from.

As an aside, I do think both Badoer and Fisichella, mentioned above, were on a hiding to nothing in 2009 with a difficult car that they weren't able to test properly before racing it and both in the twilight of their careers.

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    No question
    Absolutely one of the all time greats(and I saw it race and win-twice).

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  19. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Who was the best ferrari driver ever?
    Can't really say anything other than Michael.

Who was worst?

There have been no really bad factory drivers, and difficult to judge those that only ran less than a handful of races.
    I was/am a big fan of Capelli, but certainly things went very badly for him. Under different circumstances things could have turned out better as he showed some real brilliance in the LH Marches.

The Schumacher era cars were objectively the most successful, but imo 'the ultimate' Ferrari should have 12 cylinders, a manual box, and be beautiful, but a bit temperamental (like a highly strung animal.) I'd go for the 1970 spec 312B.

The 1973 monocoque 312B3
    The F92A (the Capelli career killer)
    and special mention of the Ferrari SF16-H simply for having the worst livery ever on a Ferrari.

Will think on the other questions...

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  20. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Somehow, regardless of their finishing positions, I’ve always been fascinated by the red cars, even in the worst of recent years, or pre-Schumi. I loved watching Ayrton too, and Michael in the Benneton socking it to Damon hill, and I had to balance that with where Ferrari were, what THE team were doing. My dream podiums included my favorite driver plus the two Ferrari’s.

That said, I easily switched off to drivers I didn’t like in their stints with the team..... Nigel Mansell got on my nerves, Prost (due to his collusion with Ballestre against Senna) I hated with a vengeance. In those times, I watched for the result of the teammate, but wouldn’t celebrate certain drivers themselves, I could be happy about the points for the team without acknowledging who drove the car to its finish.

21. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    One person I’d love to have seen at ferrari with a good car would have been jean Alesi. The guy has absolutely amazing car control

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

Makuono and G. Pepper like this.
  22. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
  23. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009