1985 Ferrari 400i green wiring harness | FerrariChat

1985 Ferrari 400i green wiring harness

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by high123bid, Nov 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
    So, I am putting a 400i back together. The engine was rebuilt. A previous mechanic lost half the plumbing parts and died.... I am the new owner. I am almost done but I am connecting the "green" sensor harness back up. It runs from the back of the engine along the middle of the engine and another branch goes from the front driver's side firewall along the cylinder bank to the front and over the the drivers side and back back along the passenger side bank towards the passenger seat. Amongst many other sensors, it connects to the the oil pressure switch at the front center top of the engine.

It is all good EXCEPT, I have a SPARE spade connector with a green boot at the back center top of the engine. if you follow the wire from the oil pressure switch on on the top front center of the engine to the back of the engine, you should see it connecting to something?? It looks identical to the spade/boot that connects to the above oil pressure switch. What the heck does it connect to, please? I have been all over the top back of the engine and I am not seeing it. I have also poured over the official documentation and it is eluding me.

Thanks in advance for you inputs.

Regards, Bo Andersen 512tr, 400i

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #2 raemin, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    If you have to mess with electricity, my first advice is to make a $30 contribution to Paul Bennett and use is diagram. (http://www.paul-bennett.com/Ferrari/)

I have no such green spade connector on my car,but here are the "green" bits I can think about in the engine bay.
    1) Green with Black stripes wires : High Beam, Lifting motors
    2) Green Wire : AC Compressor / AC Dryer
    3) Red wire with green stripes : Thermo time switch

Kick down switch maybe? Please note that I have some "flag" connectors unused in my car these are "wrapped" next to the wiper motor.

Some picture would help...

3. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
  4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Does not look OEM as "cable sleeves" are only black in mine, and I do not remember seeing such a green harness before. Will have a look at my engine bay next week and will let you know.

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Looking at it more carefully I suspect the main harness was modified. This is the one that passes through the connector I've enlighted in green in the enclosed diagram. This connector is actually made out of two 6 position faston-fastin connectors (one white, one black in my car). I do not see these connectors in your photo, hence my assumption that the harness was modified somehow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

They are three grey cables that exit from these two connectors : one for water temp, one for low pressure alert, one for oil pressure (see items highlighted in red). I would assume one of these is not connected?

Hope this helps.

6. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
  7. Bill26

Bill26 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2005
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Bill Murdoch
    It is probably the wire for the Low Oil Pressure Warning Light (in the gauge). It has the right type of boot and the colour code for this wire is grey. The green sleeving is original Ferrari type.

The switch is on the back of the oil filter block in the front of the engine vee. It looks like your wire is long enough to reach this position.

(400 carby cars also have this switch and wiring, but no warning light. Low oil pressure turns off the fuel pumps. So, when the engine stops from a lack of fuel, you know it's probably time for an engine rebuild!)

Regards

WM

raemin likes this.
  8. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
    Correct. Oil pressure

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its OEM in green or black, the model year is the factor. Injected boxers in 82 were green, black in 83 and 84.

10. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
    This was EXTREMELY helpful. THANK YOU. I am missing that 100453 temperature switch on the back that is showing in your picture. I have ordered one.

Now I am getting greedy as I am so close to being able to turn the key: 2. I can see your two white 2-wire nylon connectors next to the above temperature switch. One is left unconnected on yours which answers another question. I can see that your wires are the correct color combo. On my harness, the connector that connects to the kickdown microswitch has a red and a PLAIN white wire.... I guess they were out of 2-color wire that day...... : ) 3. see photo, drivers side firewall, I ham holding a two-conductor wire. It is clearly not original. One wire is white. The other is white with a black stripe manually added. could mean it is black or white with a black stripe. It is fairly long, ~16 inches. Any thoughts here, please? 4. The big black oil separator/evaporator between the two cylinder banks has a 1/2" hose at the bottom. In your photo, you are showing a brass connector presumably attaching to another hose that disappears down the back of the engine. Where does it connect to, please? I see no logical connection for it and none of the factory diagrams show any hose just the evaporator and the other hoses. See photo Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Lastly, and if I can get that solved, I can turn the key after years of assembly, I have two vent hoses coming from the fuel tanks in the back. Where are those meant to go, please? Thanks so much for your help. Again, I got the car disassembled. I have not had a 400 before. The old factory drawings are somewhat impressionistic. The only 400 that I know of here in Minneapolis has been put in storage for the season. Thanks in advance. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The wires with stripes are indeed manually striped at the factory. No worries here. I am also curious to know what these are for: I also have these two -unused- wires with a "flag connector", nicely wrapped behind the wipers motor. I suspect this could be for the manual transmission (?).

12. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
    WOW! Hand-painted from the factory?????? : )

13. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
    Does anyone know the part number for what appears to be a missing brass fitting that connects this hose from the oil separator to the block (small threaded hole visible below the sensor), please? I do not see the part on any of the factory part drawings.

14. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Hello, Bo....The open end of the oil-drain back hose clamps onto a section of pipe leading back to the engine oil pan, you can just see the gold color pipe in one of my previous photos next to the oil sending unit. Search any of the online parts illustrations like Eurospares has and go the "oil sump" drawing, the pipe is # 32, your hose # 47 on the top end, drains back to the pan with a fitting on the bottom end.
    To finish the correctly, find the right pipe, to TEST run the engine ONLY.....plug/close the opening in the pan and splice-connect a longer hose into a coffee can to collect the vapor/oil. There is no oil pressure, just crankcase blow-by air/oil.

Gary

15. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
    Outstanding! thanks again. I will order the pipe today. Here the sensors and throttle are pulled for better access. I wish they had added "continues on diagram XX" info back then.... As far as I know, my final outstanding item Is the "reflux" fuel lines coming from the top of the two tanks. When I got the car, they were run all the way to the front but not connected. I do not see any unconnected hard pipes underneath the car but the two return lines are already connector to hard pipes under the hood. Any thoughts here, please? Regards, Bo

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Mine has a hard line connected to the cloth covered hose and it looks like it goes under the protrusion on the left head and turns to the left behind the left head and is attached to the head itself.

17. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
    Thanks! I am in pursuit of tube part 110685!

18. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Bo, you are getting close.....your RH pic in post # 3, lower rt corner next to the hood safety latch, those are the only lines running from the back tanks to the FI units, large one is fuel press in, smaller is return line back to the tanks, 2 lines each side of engine.
    Then go back to the OE diagrams and pull up illus # 009, "fuel tanks, pumps, lines" look at item # 8 for the left side, that is a vapor line to vent the fumes from the tanks to a small plastic box behind the rear seat and then out the bottom of the floor to outside.
    Same diagram, look at # 52 & 53, those are the ends of the return fuel going back to the tank from your pic # 3, (near the hood safety latch.
    I don't know of any other hoses you still have to connect.
    Also, if you don't know already, before you attempt to fire her up, there is a blue sensor/connecter on inside of the LH air intake manifold, if you disconnect it and turn the key to on/ignition, (don't crank), your 2 fuel pumps should kick on and purge the complete system of air, listen to the sound of the pumps and they will change tune will you have the system pressurized.

Gary

19. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
    thanks! Also for the hint about purging the system.

20. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Your welcome.....there is "hundreds" of years of experience in this forum, use it !
    And of course, when you get ready to start it up, re-connect the sensor, if the engine stops for whatever reason, it will cut the power to the fuel pumps.

Gary

21. high123bid

high123bid Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    Full Name:
    Bo Andersen
    Pipe arrived today from - Italy.... Moderately painful to install. It was not a precision manufacturing job. Shocking, I know. It is held in place by one of the nuts that also holds the inspection cover behind the engine. You need a stubby 7/8" key to tighten the bottom. The top of the pipe blocks the installation of one of the sensors so a pry bar is needed to keep the tube away while the sensor is reinstalled. All while more or less sitting on top of the engine... Still pondering the last fuel line issue. More to follow.