where can I find prices of sold 308s? | FerrariChat

where can I find prices of sold 308s?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mwhite, Nov 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mwhite

mwhite Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Matthew White
    Someone totaled my 1984 308 gts and I feel that I am being low balled by met life. I can see all the ones for sale but I need to find ones that have actually sold and see what my value should be. It had 64k miles and all my maintenance records as well. Everything worked in the car as well as upgrading the radiator so that it wouldn't overheat as well as countless other repairs such as window modules rebuilt, AC converted over and updated, etc. etc. I am being offered $52,500 and think they are about 10k too low. Any advice or links to be able to support my valuation would be helpful.

Matt White

2. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Ferrari Market Letter.

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    A nice QV with your stated mileage could pull a bit more than what you value it at the 62K mark.

If someone paid 70K for your car I wouldn't even notice. Good luck with all this.

Schulz308 likes this.
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  7. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    (Bat is an auction site.not a good comp)

When an insurance co is charged with making you whole it is a retail ++ perspective.

Find as good or better examples In the current market. Use them as comps. Do not back down.

You bought a policy, they lost the gamble. Hire an insurance attorney and Play ball , Go for 100K+ if needed.

cls and thorn like this.
  8. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Oh, and You also have first right to the salvage. They dont want it. Low ball em.

9. mwhite

mwhite Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Matthew White

thank you so much.

Matt

10. mwhite

mwhite Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Matthew White
    They tried to lop off 20k to their settlement offer when I asked for it. They are not being very realistic

Matt

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Read your policy. Seriously, if it's like any standard policy you should have the right to arbitration. You can have the car appraised by a certified appraiser of your choice and submit the appraisal to arbitration. No need for an attorney if there is no personal injury. He will just take your money. Also, if it's the other persons fault, you insurance should subgrade the claim against his insurance. Your insurance should be on your side. Tell them what you want. And you are not entitled to retail ++ anything. A normal policy gives you ACV plus sales tax and registration; (I've been through it, but laws vary by state). Your problem is establishing ACV which is why you should get an independent appraisal. Again, your biggest problem is 64k miles.

Oh, and don't be in a hurt to settle. Stand your ground.

12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Alex308qv likes this.
  13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That 64K thing cannot possibly be registering with Mrs. Smith on the phone at the insurance company.

64,000 being high is the myth perpetuated by us for THESE cars. Go look at BaT. Find anything else selling from the 80's with 64,000 and the headline would read, 1984 XXX with ONLY 64,000 MILES!!!!!!

and the price would be 25% higher because it has "only" 64,000 miles.

IOW, this insurance company is doing the usual lowball ******** they do all the time, mileage independent.

14. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    How bad is it? Totalled to an insurance company can mean anything from a few bumps to a complete wreck. You may be better off low balling a salvage offer, then selling on for parts or fixing up.

15. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Wow.. never like checking in here to find someone lost their 308/328 in an accident. Hopefully everyone is OK. Just checked with my insurance company two weeks ago about The value of my car. Mileage didn’t play any role in the decision and value was based on actual sales recorded They said mine was covered for just under $66k and I upped the coverage so we’re at $82k.

16. Fort Worth 360

Fort Worth 360 Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2008
    Fort worth Texas
    I just sold an 85 gts qv with 30k miles for $81,000

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I wouldn't bet on it. ;) But still, the best approach it to have it professionally appraised by a certified appraiser of exotic cars to find out where you stand. Just do a Google search for exotic car appraisals. Here are a couple.

https://www.autoappraisal.com/

https://www.autoappraisers.com/

Hopefully the owner hasn't released the car to the insurance company yet.

18. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    The are using Classic NADA price guide. Most banks and credit unions provide financing based on average retail. Talk them into going halfway to average retail.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The other car looked worse.

(I had about 4 texts with pictures sent by people asking if it was my car)

20. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    They will have pay to tow it, store it, auction it etc.

They will most often take your offer. Do not fall for the high ball trick.

Low ball and hold.

Also I stand by my advice to you when I say your entitled to retail ++.

The attorney cost will be paid by the ins co when they lose.

21. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    That was just their "offer". Remember what your first post said, "someone totaled my 308" which means it wasn't you. They will always try to get you to settle for less. Hold out and tell them they are WAY off in value. Add up all the receipts and labor for the work you've had done in the last 5 years and find a comparable car for sale within 500 miles of you. Then start there with the statement of "I won't settle for anything less then the condition my car was in prior to your client totaling it" Then produce numbers for them so they know you've done YOUR homework. My father was in the insurance business for 45 years. He did well getting people to "settle"...............

Schulz308 likes this.
  22. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The worst fear for a lot of us.

Glad there are people here who are helping.

Glad also that (presumably) you weren't hurt.

23. mwhite

mwhite Karting

Nov 10, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Matthew White

The entire front was crunched and frame was bent. Was trying to low ball to get the car back since my engine was in really good shape. Top end had been rebuilt about 8k miles ago. They wanted 20k for it. I am trying to find something official on sales to combat it but the sales are all over the place. I appeciate all you guys' help. This is the second one I have had that someone else ran a red light and totaled. sad.