2012 Cali Trade in Value? | FerrariChat

2012 Cali Trade in Value?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by GNALUZU, Nov 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Does anyone have a rough guess on what the trade in value would be for a '12 Cali with around 15k miles?

Red/tan car with shields, carbon fiber steering wheel, daytonas and other popular options. Original MSRP was $243k.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    high 80s/low 90s

User_Unknown likes this.
  3. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    I got 135 for a 15 cali 30
    With 7500 miles.
    So take 15 k off each year
    Is 105
    And another 5 for mileage.
    So maybe 100k.
    I know trade in values are ridiculous.
    Private sale maybe 110-115

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    My numbers are the latest manheim ones

5. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    We are not far off

6. matteni

matteni Rookie

Jun 2, 2005
    Did you mean 2014? Or Cali T?

7. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I think the 80 to 90k estimate is spot on for the op car in question. If you look at the realistically priced cars with same miles and options they start just over 100k though I have seen CPO at 98900 for 2012 but don’t recall the mileage. 2010 examples are realistically starting in the low 90s with a few in the mid to upper 80s at non Ferrari dealers. I have even seen a few 15’s in the 120k range though I think realistically they are starting in the 140s, and that’s quite a drop from where they were just 6 months ago.

I’m not sure how much farther the depreciation curve may go but to some people I have talked to seem to think there is more room to go until they bottom out. I expect with winter setting in to see prices fall another 5 to up to 10k and maybe recover some after February but with more and more portofino’s hitting the streets could keep sliding, you just never know. What I do know is if your looking to get a California or a California t now is a good time to buy in, maybe not so good to get out.

8. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    Mine was a cali 30

9. GNALUZU

GNALUZU Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Thanks for all the feedback. I went and test drove our dealers Portofino. Good lord that car is fantastic. It is absurdly fast, comfortable and feels much more solid than the Cali. It almost felt too good if that makes any sense. However, it felt like it was missing something in the sound ever since they have gone to a turbo engine. Not sure what we will do, but I appreciate the help with trade in pricing.

10. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Suspect that car will have a similar depreciation curve. May have great performance but still seen as a wife's car and not a "true Ferrari."

11. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Why is this I wonder, because honestly I prefer the design, ride height and comfort level of the California over say the 488. Is it because it is a v8 2+2 ( the additional 2 is questionable)? Would it be considered a gentleman’s car if it were offered with a v-12? None the less I really could care less what most other people think of the car so long as I enjoy it but it does make me wonder. And while steep deprishiation hurts those that want to trade in lower prices are quite attractive for a modern f car. Probably the main reason I would never buy a new f car is I just can’t stomach the deprishiation curve and in reality can’t afford one of the cars that likely won’t suffer from steep deprishiation.

12. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    2 plus 2 Ferraris have never had good resale value and perception is just that perception. While the performance is good, it is not groundbreaking. Nor is the design. Pardon me trotting out what I used to say about the C4 (had a Daytona at the time) "all the joys of high maintenance without the stigma of great looks and high performance."
    Ultimately buy what you want and enjoy it. Like most cars it is and will be a depreciating asset. Some just depreciate faster than others.

sasso1977 likes this.
  13. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I understand stand that 2+2 Ferrari’s depreshiate faster then non 2+2 but sure seems like v12 2+2 cars don’t get near the hate as the California platform. Take the FF, while some consider it a bold and somewhat odd design, don’t call it a wife’s car. And while yes other 2+2 v12 cars do depreshiate faster no ones ever really called them a woman’s car. I wonder if this is because the California and portofino have v-8’s in them and if they would get more love if they were equipped with-12’s instead of the v-8.

And full disclosure I’d never let my wife drive one because I truly believe the bone density in her right foot is akin to lead. It’s not fun riding around in any car with her let alone one that has significant horsepower.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  14. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell

15. Doctor Mark

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Part of the “girly” image stems in my opinion from the design which many see as less aggressive and therefore less “manly.” “Softer around the edges.” I think that are are less edgy to drive for want of a better term. Acceleration, handling are to lower levels than comparable models in the lineup.
    Similar carry over to the Porsche Boxster.

16. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    I think the stigma comes from being the entry level Ferrari. While still a great car
    , the more attainable nature. Makes it less desirable for resale.

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I always find it interesting how cars are perceived on forums. To most people a Ferrari is a Ferrari whether it is a 308 or a 488. There are those who read magazines (which in my opinion have a bunch of morons trying to prove they know something working for them) and think the writers are somehow experts. After they have 50 patients in automotive related products, they can come talk to me about what they know. I am old and I don't suffer fools as well as I used to, but unless we have a large number of race cars drivers on this forum, the majority of Ferrari's that members here have are likely never driven to anywhere near their limits, so you could make the argument that these cars are being waisted on incapable drivers.

GNALUZU and Avia11 like this.
  18. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    LMAO. Sounds like we married similar women. The first time I convinced her to grab the wheel of the Cali, she did so reluctantly. Within seconds we were doing triple digits, and I had a mild case of whiplash! So, maybe it really is the "wife's Ferrari" for those of us who are fortunate enough to be married to women who appreciate good cars! :D
    T

19. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    While I don’t yet currently own a California I have rented bother the California and the California t numerous times on vacations. I’ve also rented and driven the f430 and the 488. I never drive these cars like race cars as I just enjoy the vehicles at legal speeds with brief jolts of speed occasionally. But over most every day type cars these cars drive pretty well on the street. Of course I haven’t enjoyed as many cars as you have the California fits the bill for the type of car I’m looking for. I just finally voiced my wonder at why it’s not considered a Ferrari and why it’s considered a woman’s or wife’s car.
    While I generally let my wife do what she wants I’ve never allowed her to drive anything with more then about 350 hp. I risk it everytime I get in our 200 hp mini van with her driving. It’s not just the lead foot it’s the driving everything like a go cart too. Right turns require the use of the courtesy handle on the passenger side and left turns may send your head thru the passenger door window.... so no everytime I’ve rented any exotic, I drive and when I purchase I’ll keep the keys on me lol.

20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I mean no insult to anyone when I write things on here so I hope it is not taken as such. No normal person should have owned 460 cars (and I am looking at 461), and perhaps I tend to be a bit too honest about what I think at times. I guess I see too many V8 mid engine Ferrari's being driven in the same way as you could a Honda prelude. Right now along with the T I have my 911, the AMG GTS, M4, and my girlfriends 718 Cayman S. The T is by far the calmest of those cars and the least sporty, but it is still far more capable in stock form than I am (at least I am now), or than what can be done legally on the road. Normal people are prone to suggestion (look up willful suspension of reality), I once made lots of money because of it. What I mean is if you read a car does this, you get in it and you think it does whether it does or not like body roll. Put 2 exact same cars side by side one has a stock exhaust system the other loud aftermarket, 99% of the people who would drive both will think the louder one is faster even if it is the opposite.

Avia11 likes this.
  21. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I wasn’t offended in any way, and to be honest when I first decided to look for a recreation car and decided on a more modern car instead of the vintage muscle cars I had in the past I went on a very interesting journey. The California wasn’t even on my radar as I had no idea of its existence at the time. It actually was suggested by a friend of mine because I was looking at and into 360’s since that was the first modern Ferrari I fell in love with when they came out.

Of the many cars I looked at and drove the California really stood out to me and is still the car I enjoy driving the most though I admit I only rent them and as of last July the rental company I generally use no longer has one and has no intentions of getting another one nor a Portofino. I have watch and read some reviews after the fact but only based my decision off of real world experience. Further still I can say that both the wife and I like the California t slightly more then the naturally aspirated California. Mostly due to interior styling.

I’ve said before that if the California and California T were the exact same car but built by another company I’d still like it. Sure it has weak point compared to other cars and a lot of the weak points are moot to me since I’d be having to push the car to notice. It will do what I want to do, and will not be mundane like the vehicles I drive daily. For me the california has a pleasing visual appeal, inside and out, and enough performance to be a bit aggressive when accelerating or going into corners but tame enough to run to the store and cruise around town. Yeah the 360 f430, 458, and 488 are good cars and look cool but each have something I just didn’t feel comfortable enough with to own one and my wife didn’t like them ( a big factor ).

As far as the amount of cars you’ve owned I personally think that’s kind of cool and proves that you are a car guy. It might make you a. Bit jaded but I’m sure you enjoyed most of your experiences and if not learned some things about what you don’t like. Also it is helpful to hear what you have to say about cars, even if we may or may not heed your advice since everyone’s opinion differers. As far as I’m concerned keep letting us know what you think, it’s certainly better then not knowing anything about different cars.

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Okay, then I will keep giving my opinions, and believe me, I've made more than my share of mistakes when it comes to cars.

tomc likes this.
  23. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’d expect nothing less, I actually enjoys reading your posts, I just was clarifying my personal reasons for liking the California, and honestly I have a few things I don’t like as well but they aren’t big enough issues to deter me from a future purchase.

24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I stopped by Algar yesterday (of course they are betting how long I keep the M4, I think one of them wants it for themselves), and there was a 2015 Calf T there that had the same color combo as my first 430, that they were asking mid 160's for. There was also a really beautiful dark blue 488 spider that I would grab up in a second if I was looking for one of those. I have set my sights on the F12 as my next (and maybe my last Ferrari). I actually like the way the T looks, to me the Porto looks like a T with a body kit (like its trying to hard to something). I like the fact that the T is a GT type of car, I don't need another bone jarring car that does not like to be driven the way I drive most of the time these days. Part of getting older and having owned as many cars as I have is the fact that I can still smile when I remember what I used to do (like the first 911 turbo I converted to RWD and the First Lamborghini I made into RWD), or taking apart a brand new 24 hours old 911 and leaving it in pieces for a year and a half while I redesigned it. I have no regrets, and the kid who was begging for food 45 years ago would never have thought I could have gotten this far. Like someone at Algar said to me yesterday, what you do makes no sense but you do it because you can.

ScottS and tomc like this.
  25. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I echo this. I value the strong opinions on F-chat. It was very valuable to me when I was looking to purchase my first Ferrari...T