488 Pista - qualifying demands | Page 15 | FerrariChat

488 Pista - qualifying demands

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Doctor Mark, Oct 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Kevin, you're in my neck of the woods... let's set it up. A lot of us exotic track day enthusiasts up here.

Don't make any assumptions about the warranty thing. I've had a friend who lemoned his 488 for something that was straight forward and clear and Ferrari wouldn't give in and took it all the way to arbitration (where they lost). Had nothing to do with tracking but let's just say that if they are going to fight something that was clear cut then they aren't going to give in on other warranty related issues...especially when it says it isn't covered in the warranty book.

of2worlds and kevin1244 like this.
  2. robcut1

robcut1 Karting

Dec 30, 2016
    #352 robcut1, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    I was told that I would be able to get a Pista allocation. Subsequently, the dealership required a conference call to discuss and then came the requirement to buy a 488 and hold for at least 6 months even though I have no practical reason to do so. The dealership said that they would buy it back close to what I paid for it. I calculated that the payments would equal $25,000 plus $40,000 depreciation. When I submitted that information to the dealer and asked if it was true, they told me that we should “part ways”. All I can say is that we all have the word “SUCKERS” written in our foreheads because we are emotionally driven by the hype and the dealers can see us coming from a mile away. It’s like day trading for most people. When you start out its simply business and good decisions are made. After making some coin, it becomes emotional and that’s when you become screwed. I think for now, I will remain a driver of the least expensive to own and most worry free and comfortable Ferrari, the California T (and maybe a Portofino upgrade soon). There’s always the next generation sports series car which will be more capable than the Pista. It’s just a matter of waiting 3 years after introduction to get one.

Oh, and buy the way, the GM of the dealership just emailed me and said that despite what I was told by the SA, there is no allocation yet... but I still need to buy the 488 to be considered.

IPO1 likes this.
  3. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    your payments aside (payments? Really...pay cash or don't buy, but that is another debate) the $40k depreciation is probably more than what will really happen.

IF you were to pay cash and lose $40k in 6 months...and get the Pista....you would hopefully stay on the right side $$$ of that car value wise for a few years (like the Speciales) you would have been good money wise, no? As in lose nothing and maybe come out making something.

** If the GM won't lock in a real Pista build spot for you...and you indicated....then yeah, no bueno.

Keep in mind if you are working on building your ownership history with Ferrari having owned a new 488 and a new Pista (plus whatever else you may have owned or own) is all good. Maybe you do this deal with your dealership and then have them lock in an EARLY 4xx. Bottom line, you have a lot of creative optoins. Play the long game. Don't just think in terms of a 'deal'.

4. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Absolutely on the track days. My track car is usually a GT3 or a GT3 RS...but occasional Ferrari. The Pista will see track time, for sure. My CS retired from track duties a few years back and now is a garage queen /weekend ride.

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How much time and money do you want to spend in court? If you get a Pista and sue them, you'll never get another "Pista" again.

If you're gonna track your car, best to accept that your "maintenance'" isn't going to be free under warranty. If your radio breaks, sure. If your engine needs a rebuild, not a chance.

boobernackle likes this.
  6. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    we all know everyone of these pista s are going to sit in an epoxy floored garage with f1 paraphernalia on the walls and LED lighting on the ceiling and never see the streets let alone a track

7. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Quite sure about that.....?

Bundy, Nelsonc275 and boobernackle like this.
  8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    your in the UK - u guy put more than 250 on the odo, right ?

9. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Apologies but I’m not quite sure what you mean?

10. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    I guess, but do you really want a car that can't last a few sessions on track?

I don't think he's talking about hitting 100+hrs on it, but know your hubs and everything else will time out before they break. I really wish more owners actually tracked these to see where the cars were weak and what the true capabilities are....I looked for some track alignment notes on the forum.....crickets.

kevin1244 likes this.
  11. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I doubt that. I've got some pretty specific plans for my Pista..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bundy, ajr550, Nelsonc275 and 2 others like this.
  12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    #362 Solid State, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Interesting and factual post! However, let's be honest about Ferrari pricing. The only reason its priced to the hilt is because buyers will pay it. You can try and justify every engineering benefit and assess some kind of relative value but its a waste of time. This is not a new chassis or engine by any means. When the parts list comes out just spend a day on Ricambi or Scuderia Parts and see for yourself what parts are identical.

Ferrari engineers are salaried employees. Their time and cost is baked in whether they create a masterpiece or POS. I might also add that it's the buyers madness that ultimately drives the asking price. We toil away at complicated plots to get the newest version of a production car especially if it is 'track focused'. Consider for a moment that non enthusiasts see no logic in paying more for a car than a house. Enthusiasts with the cash, desire and opportunity don't have to justify the cost. As italiafan posted if you're in love with it then buy it. Not really rocket science :)

Lukeylikey likes this.
  13. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA

Exactly...I am a track junkie but I am not there to win a trophy and not there to break the car. I never drive 10/10th (with my own cars!!) but close enough to my limits that I challenge myself without taking extraordinary risk. These cars can be on track for miles and miles...I have been doing it for years and I have never had any mechanical failure of any kind; not with my CS and not with my Porsche's and I am sure Pista will do fine too. I do inspect and service the cars religiously as appropriate for track use. I don't like any car to become a garage queen before paying its dues. I buy these cars to enjoy them as they are made for hard driving. AND, I am in no mood to drive these cars at 140 mph in a highway, it's irresponsible, and frankly not as fun. I am humbled that I have the means to buy a Pista and not worry about depreciation, just enjoy it. I know most people cannot afford such a luxury...

14. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA

Agree with this as I have said it on this board, I like the car; it's not an investment for me (and should not be for anyone), I am buying it to enjoy it. I like the way it looks and I am sure it will drive fantastically. I may lose $100k, more or less on it depending if and when I sell it...I am appreciative that I can afford it; no doubt about it. While we all do talk about these cars on this board and most of us can afford rather expensive cars; I would remind everyone that it's a season of giving, so please remember the less fortunate whose entire retirement account may not even approach what we pay for one car...

09Scuderia, Gh21631 and Solid State like this.
  15. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Let me take a guess:
    Your dealer tried to start by dangling a carrot in front of you, which didn't work. How is it they tell you they'll purchase the 488 close to what you would've paid, yet you factored in a $40K depreciation? That's not close by any means.

Depending on where you are in your dealer's totem pole, the fact they approached you would say a lot on customer receipt and if they're pulling the trigger. I think Speciales are selling close to Pista prices says a lot too, except that's one of the last NA V8s from Ferrari and is truly Special.

16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #366 Lukeylikey, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Mine too, but hopefully no more of this....

On that day, only my second drive up the Stelvio, the weather was horrific and the pace just too slow to enjoy. We managed to get around the obstacle but 8 guys couldn’t shift that tree. Can’t imagine what would have happened to us and the car if we had not moved back that few feet - here only by the grace of God. Eventually the bus pushed a path through and we squeezed through the gap. We went over the top dodging rockfalls, incurring £20k of damage to one Speciale, swerving around rocks in the road and heavy hail. We have done thousands of miles on this kind of road and loved it. Pista? Can’t wait!

I know loads of Speciale owners and they all use their cars for really hard driving, including track on occasions. I don’t know a single one who has kept the car in a Ferrari-flagged garage, never used. What nonsense.

Bundy likes this.
  17. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #367 Lukeylikey, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    In the UK the 458 was priced at £169,545 and the Speciale at £208k. The 488 is priced at £195,363 and the Pista at £251,590. That is an increase of 22.7% for the Speciale over the 458 and 28.8% for the Pista over the 488. In context, that is not exactly a wildly aggressive strategy and reflects the way the market has evolved even for the standard cars.

There is only a 6% difference in the uplift of Pista compared with Speciale (note I use uplift rather than the maths the other way around - 458 is x% less than - which would have given a smaller percentage). It’s enough, but perhaps not hugely ambitious and doesn’t represent the sea-change that some seem to be suggesting. I just thought a bit of context might be helpful.

It perhaps explains Ferrari’s billing of the Pista as “the most motorsport influence ever in one of our cars” (in other words a bit more price justification than the last one) rather than “a totally new concept in performance” which is the sort of language you would need to justify a genuinely massive price hike. Wait for the super 488 to get that...

boogie and Robert P like this.
  18. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    Damn.....That was a close call....

19. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Is the Cali T the only Ferrari you have ever bought or the only one from this dealer? Just curious because I bought a 2017 Cali T HS and a 2018 488 Spider but have not been contacted about a Pista allocation, I also haven't asked either.

20. kevin1244

kevin1244 Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    KAA
    Very close call...thank goodness you dodged it by what appears as pure luck!
    I agree, I rarely see anyone making their cars as garage trophies. I have seen collectors buy two of a kind of super collectible cars to use one for fun and the other for their collection, but I am not talking about Speciale or Pistas, I am talking about Veyron, LaFerrari and the kind.

21. BTDT

BTDT Rookie

Apr 14, 2018
    Global
    Full Name:
    RJ Nassar
    Hi Mark,
    They did the same thing to me in Florida in 2015 to get a 488. I had to buy an F12 to get one. I said “How kind of you! Any other requests? Is there any lifts in the service department that need to be sold as well? Happy to oblige”

22. BTDT

BTDT Rookie

Apr 14, 2018
    Global
    Full Name:
    RJ Nassar
    A Ferrari IS still a Ferrai. I also have a 488 and had several prior. However, that is no excuse for them to treat everyone the way they do. You have to admit, seeing a Ferrari on the road automatically ignited your subconscious telling you that that car is more “special” than the competition.

23. BTDT

BTDT Rookie

Apr 14, 2018
    Global
    Full Name:
    RJ Nassar
    Amazing lol - love that

24. rcrx

rcrx Rookie

Feb 5, 2006
    California-Italy

25. rcrx

rcrx Rookie

Feb 5, 2006
    California-Italy
    IMHO this snobbery stems from that certain number of “special buyers” playing that game of being first in line to receiving the very first issues,
    drive their cars for a few miles and then post them on the secondary markets for well over MSRP.