Thinking of buying a first gen. Murcielago | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying a first gen. Murcielago

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by rumen1, Sep 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My hearsay: friend is a former Lambo tech, now at Ferrari. Says the same: avoid base Murci with e-gear. Problems are $$$$. He says if you want a Lambo spend a few extra up front for the manual.

Ciro Izzo and PineChris like this.
  2. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    100% agree

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok. and it is it easy to do or does it need to be set by the dealer with some kind of special equipment?

4. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    this is a 2006. there are only 22 manuals of that year in the country. i am unlikely to be able to find one, or if i do, it will be considerably more than than the egear, so i dont think it is possible to avoid the egear in this instance.
    i understand from reading some more in the lambo forums, that the 2006 pre LP, is already better than the previous years on the egear.
    my 430 is a 2005, and has the latest magnetti marelli system for that time, so the 2006 murci ought to be the same.
    whereas, my 2004 360cs i had, had the previous generation mm system and it was not as good, and i assume that this is also what murcis older than 2006 may have had, hence the understandable negative comments.

5. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Dealer must do it. Requires Lambo diagnostics computer.

6. PineChris

PineChris Formula 3

Apr 17, 2013
    California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The Egear on the Murci got slightly better with the Lp640 in 2007.

7. FCat360

FCat360 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2014
    Radical Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Lam, Blama Lam
    Have a 2004 360 Spyder F1 and a 2002 Murci gated. Two different animals (horse v bull) for two different drive experiences.

8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok. i went to the lambo dealer when i was in geneva and had a long discussion about all this.
    first, the egear is NOT a magnetti marelli unit, but an in-house VW-Audi box. i did not drive a car, but the dealer said it is roughly as fast as a 430 box.
    he said the issues they have had with it occurred when the owner drove around mostly in auto mode and then tried to inch into parking lots frequently, or inced around in reverse, up a driveway ramp etc. in regular (super car type) usage, they did not experience these faults.

9. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    That's about $200k extra for an LP.

Whatever year you get, send the TCU out for an aftermarket reflash. There have been many software updates for e-gear and the early cars can be transformed with a reflash.

10. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    well the car in mind was sold away from me yesterday, so all a moot point now, but at least i know more about murci's than i did 2 weeks ago !

PineChris likes this.
  11. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #36 ralfabco, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018

I have driven all three of these cars and would pick the Murcielago with the 6spd manual. I do not like the Murcielago bulk, cheap dash, and spacious cabin. The 430 6spd manual was just too easy to drive and never moved my pulse. The 512TR is real nice looking, sounds great, and the cabin is more compact.

A good Murcielago is probably less money to maintain - when compared to the 512TR. The 430, is the least expensive to service. If you want exotica, the Murcielago is the rock star followed by the always in demand and exotic 512TR.

12. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    thanks ralf.
    i already own the 430 and the 512tr, and the question was designed to give me an idea of how the murci drives compared to these cars that i know.

13. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The Murcielago has nice power and modern brakes. It feels big but is still sporty. The 512 TR feels smaller - significantly less power and does not have the modern feel and brakes. The 430 is a modern tossable car which did not feel special.

Ciro Izzo likes this.