Mondial 3.2 Odometer / Trip / Dash Light Rheostat | FerrariChat

Mondial 3.2 Odometer / Trip / Dash Light Rheostat

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jkstevens2, Nov 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    The previous owner of my 1986 Mondial 3.2 kept this Ferrari in a barn out in the country. It wasn't a barn find. I received "for sale" pictures showing it on the farm. When I was doing the timing belt change I pulled off the lower skid plate that protects the gas tanks and found the dead carcass of a field mouse.

I have not had any electrical problems until about 6 months ago, my dash lights stopped working and so did the fog lights. The rheostat is non-fuctional.

Opened up the dash to find the wires on the back of the odometer have been chewed on. The insulation is gone and I am concerned that some of the wires may have shorted out and burned up the rheostat. I am thinking the printed circuit board for the rheostat is fried. Does anyone know of someone that rebuilds these components?

I checked the fuse for this circuit and it has not burned out. The fog lights and the license tag light are also on this circuit and they do not work as well.

Thanks for your help,
    John

2. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Can you post pictures of the PCB in question?

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Can you show some pictures of the damaged parts? I have everything available for all Mondial types.

4. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Thank you, I will get some pics and upload them for your review!

5. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Here are some pictures of the back of the Veglia odometer / trip odometer box with built-in rheostat for dash light dimming control. You can see small nibble marks on the wire insulation.

Attached Files:

6. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    With this off, do the fog lights and license plate light work now?

7. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    That's a good question. I did not think to try those lights with the box disconnected.

8. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Try that and if they are working then your problem is localized to just this box. Otherwise you still have problems in the car wiring elsewhere.

9. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    There is a clause in my insurance policy stating they will not pay for damage caused by varmits or rodents.

10. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The fuse box connectors can cause problems like this. Remove the connectors and clean the contacts. Make sure the connectors are tight. They can become bent open, but you can bend them back to ensure a good connection. The dimmer control is brightest in the counterclockwise position. Make sure you don't have it turned off.

11. jkstevens2

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    OK I will look into this. Thanks for the input.