Pista is the fastest car in Autocar's supertest! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Pista is the fastest car in Autocar's supertest!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dilusha, Nov 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. unotaz

unotaz Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Michael
    The point I was trying to make is unlike Ferrari, Porsche never shows up to these tests with any spare wheels/tires, mechanics, or send out a team of engineers/drivers the week before to run "tests" at the same track. Mclaren has been known to send their techs out to these tests as well. The only time Porsche send a tech out to these magazine tests was during Chris Harris' comparison of the holy trinity. Ferrari had a team of engineers with their LaFerrari, Mclaren had a team of engineers with their P1, and Porsche sends 1 tech with the 918. LOL

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  2. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek

The 488 Pista comes with the Cup2 and the 720 with Corsa's which are equivalent. By the way the 600lt comes with the Trofeo R from the factory, which is softer compound then both.

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not sure Cup2 and Corsa are equivalent, but in any case, did the Pista set the lap time with the Cup2 or Cup2 R? Big difference there.

4. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    It’s interesting that even the GTB managed to clock a quicker time than the 600LT which I have an allocation, guess there is no point to it now....lol...keep the GTB and wait for the pista to arrive...

Shadowfax likes this.
  5. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    The Porsche GT2RS won the title of the fastest road homologated car on the Nürburgring was prepared by Manthey-Racing :) 6.40’33"
    It is not the standard model

tekaefixe likes this.
  6. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    That GTB reference in the article is a typo, it should be 488 Pista, just look at the HP number of 710 below it.

7. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    On a different test about 2 yrs ago the GTB did a 1.12.8, that’s what I was referring to. Was planning on replacing my GTB with the 600lt .... seems like a mute pt....I’m sure it will be a little more raw than the GTB but GTB is lots of fun and quicker it seems

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Correct. 488GTB is indeed faster than 600lt (not surprising really).
    Watch at 8:53 for score 1.12.8 at Angelsea https://drivemag.com/video/ferrari-488-evo-leaderboard

theplanner likes this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    tekaefixe and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  10. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So I specced our a 600 when I was shopping for the 720. Base price I think is 240k. I plugged in the options I’d want into the the excel file the dealer gave me and price was around 260k. Now granted I’m not sure if I had all the desirable options but I got a little bit of carbon, stuff that interested me and 260.

Mind you the hood scoop, that I think is a must but I didn’t spec is a 30k option- that alone takes the price way up. So it’s quite possible to be in the 270k Range with a 600 lt with some solid options if you don’t get the scoop.

I still got the 720s and while the 600 lt did not interest me In the least when it first came out, when I see the games Porsche and Ferrari are playing, it’s starting to sound like a pretty solid alternative.

11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Shadowfax likes this.
  12. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    It is quite possible. As they smashed the Lambo SVJ time in one lap they must know they still have enough up their current sleeve to settle any future better scores - if/when that ever happens.

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    You can love the Performante and the Nurburgring times, but IMHO on such a long track as the Nurburgring there are too many factors that could impact a final lap time to make it an actual benchmark.
    On a shorter track the semi-pro drivers would repeat their best times at will, on the Nurburgring a very best time is depending on how many attempts the manufacturer has made.

14. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    All of this Porsche vs Ferrari vs Mclaren is quite simple. Mclaren 720s is the fastest by a mile, 720 lt will be even faster, thing is they are worse than fiat reliability in the 80's and 90's, throttles sticking open, thermostats going and right after the engine, all kinds of electrical glitches, cars falling apart. If you want a track car to enjoy without worrying too much, it's not the car for the job. For the bragging rights? Yeap.
    Ferrari just works, not really a week to week track rat, but will do a full day and come home no problem.

The problem starts on solutions for brakes, ceramics (short fiber) are quite bad (endurance wise), iron aren't warranty friendly, pads for track will depend on dealers if they will or not void warranty, aligment options and acessories for excessive and uneven tire wear aren't available warranty wise, maybe possible on stock hardware to put enough camber, but with rws there will be a need for a lot of testing from those that know what they are doing, and there isn't really a lot of 'Mantheys', 'Getspeeds' or 'Schirmers' in the world of Ferrari, neither there is someone aftermarket offering proper solutions for Ferraris.
    So solid car, solid performance, works, beautiful and exciting. Works great to do the odd track day every other month, with care and mindful of the limitations.

Porsche could be 3 seconds than a pista (It isn't) but they are a work horse that one can trash pretty carelessly, plus if a ptoblem comes that will be at least 10 shops with a solution from pdk rebuild, engine internals, head, as this dfi engine and pdk is being pushed to the limits for quite some time on the 991 turbo. Chassis wise the choice is overwhelming as it shares the same part designs as the 991.1 gt3 and rs as well as the .2 gt3 and rs.
    Porsche is really a lusitan horse in this compare, it just does everything really well, no headaches, stresses or anxieties, does pretty much everything well enough so you can worry about driving rather than with the health of the car.

In summary
    1) Mclaren (any really) - specsheet is the best, when works it's the fastest, lots of bragging rights, never really goes much time working well or right. Looks great. Fun before one figures how untrustworthy it is.
    2) Pista: Beautiful, very fun, very fast, not the fastest, competent, but requires some extra careful eye.
    3) Porsche (any GT car, including 991.1 gt3) just works, every time, for ages, requires normal maintenance and any problem has a solution either in Porsche or out of Porsche. Plenty of parts. Cheaper to run. Can always be made faster than any of the competition and still work better and more reliable.

tekaefixe and theplanner like this.
  15. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Hoping the mods can step in, delete the political posts and get things back to normal.

Gh21631 and Juvendude like this.
  16. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Idk, I had a 2013 12C spider, bought new, sold with 13.5K miles, never a problem, no better no worse than my Ferrari’s and Porsche.

My two cents

MB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash Patel likes this.
  17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Every village has one...

luigisayshello and Gh21631 like this.
  18. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Nah, off in many respects but you are entitled to you your opinion.

19. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

I've had many many cars, all brands. Nothing is immune from problems. All of my Ferarris have had little issues nothing major same for the Porsches I've owned. I've had 1 McLaren for the last year now and the experience is on par with the others. It goes with the territory but it is worth it to me. For reference the dragtimes guy Brooke's is dragging his car constantly and no issues. Back to back to back in high heat. Still recording ridiculous times. this should give you some idea of the reliability on the 720s. Porsche does a fantastic job. 911s are mass produced but somehow always feel special. With Ferraris I always feel that I have to be careful but that could just be me. Any given day one will blow up, it is what it is.

JAM1 and dustman like this.
  20. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    The reliability with the 720 is the same as the 675lt and the rest. Engines letting go left and right, overheating, electrical glitches, sticky throttle random misfires, out of nowhere limp mode. Obviously it won't affect all cars especially when most are so low mileage or doesn't get talked too much (warranty and trying to enter Mclaren good graces or simply because it's not a big deal for the owner). They happen.
    As for Ferrari, warranty works and never really saw any car 458 speciale onwards even with 1/10 of the problems of pretty Mclaren I know of or blowing up.
    For me is the volume and seriousness / severity of the problems that matter the most as well as the availability of a final fix.

21. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Where?

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Politics is a bad topic guys.

Mods please do a full clean.

Ok. Now where were we?

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Left and right? Haven't heard of a single one on any forum. Have never heard of a stuck throttle either.

McLaren mainly suffer electronic errors, but rarely are the cars actually broken down due to them.

24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #74 Shadowfax, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Mac guys don’t like airing the dirty laundry. I mean to be fair you can hardly blame them for keeping mum.

I experienced electronic problems on my very first mac experience actually.
    I guess you could call a car broken down when it wont start? They tried everything but nope she not worky now.
    Story went it was working fine an hour before. And then in the next one bits fell off. Another guy had put the handbrake on in a new 570s and the whole handbrake section fell off in his hand. It was a great look! And then that one couldnt be driven either so i guess you could say it was broken down too? The tech gave up after about an hour. I guess in all fairness you could say the mac dealer was just having a bad hair day.

25. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Early Mac cars definelty has issues. They seemed to have crossed that bridge with the 720. Haven’t heard of any issues. 570 Also seems to be fairly stable as well, exceptions obviously exist.

In all fairness many brands have issues and “Mac guys” just seem to be car enthusiasts that own numerous brands and aren’t beholden or loyal to any one brand in particular.