Robs 308 GT4 Clutch Service Adventure Take 2 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Robs 308 GT4 Clutch Service Adventure Take 2

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by robertgarven, Sep 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Actually, Rob is in a good position to tell us the measurements as these parts are brand new! :) I've got 16mm for stock, brand-new flywheel thickness, and the WSM says 9.2 - 9.5mm thickness for the disc under NO load...

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    what about the flywheel?

3. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #53 robertgarven, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Friends,

I am starting to remember, not how to work on the Ferrari but how ignorant I am HA!

Replaced the input shaft snap ring and the spacer now slides easily on! Ordered a used splined shaft and it cleaned up easily and looks like it will work perfectly. I was going to remove the pressure plate and clutch disc off, just to look at them. Any tips on how to lock the flywheel in place to remove the pressure plate to keep the flywheel from rotating?

Then put everything back together and look at the cable and pedal.

Rob

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Use a combinational wrench as a flywheel lock.

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Can you describe how to more clearly?

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Rob, for removal of the bolts, just use one of those battery driven impact drivers.

For tightening, you need to lock the flywheel so you can torque it to specs. Here is how.

Loosely fit one of the pressure plate bolts back into the flywheel. Insert the bolt through the closed end of a 13mm combo wrench.
    The open end of the wrench is flopping around, find a stud on the engine case and a position of the flywheel (turn it) where the open end of the wrench fits against the stud.

Now you have a lock. If I can find a picture, I will post it

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
  8. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Thanks to all! I have the pressure plate and clutch off, the disc is worn and I have ordered new parts. The flywheel looks ok. I may leave it on, or remove it to scruff it up!

Note this car has no sniffer tubes on it front manifold, there is a hookup but not very easy to get to????
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mike Florio and absostone like this.
  9. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

I ended up replacing the pilot bearing, and used the small wrench trick to tighten everything up. Thanks for that tip!!!!! I was going to replace all the bearings but since the engine was rebuilt about 300 miles ago probably going to replace them. They look old and maybe were NOS, but not worn. Here are some pics of the arm lever and shaft. There is a very little bit of vertical slop in the design but thinking when its all hooked up it should be fine. Maybe I could find a wave washer to put in there but there is none in the parts book.

I think the flywheel is two piece, look at the seam between the gears and the timing marks and on the back?

Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Peter and f355spider like this.
  10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    cool Rob nice job

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    For a flywheel lock I found that an old wheel lug bolt fits into the trigger sensor hole. It's a bit more work but works great as well. Remove the mag sensor on bank 1-4 side, take an old wheel bolt and grind matching teeth groves into it, then get a piece of heat shrink tube and cover the threaded bit that is left. It should just squeeze into the hole.
    If I was a touch smarter I'd have my machinest just make me one. But hey kludging is fun... Let me post a pic..

12. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Just searched for the thing... Can't find it here, must be in the other shop. Seeing as I need one for the engine in the bench getting ready for the Dyno next month, I'll make another and post those pics... Argg it's like those missing 13mm sockets...

13. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    Old question I know, but PMs are called 'conversations' in the new software, so click on the name and select 'Start a Conversation'.

Peter likes this.
  14. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    What is a trigger sensor hole? Just kidding:D

15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Between work and the weather I have been held up a bit. I have the disc and pressure plate on and starting to install the bell housing. Do you lubricate the splined shaft that inserts into the clutch disc and pilot bearing??

16. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Also , does anyone have any suggestions on a high temp grease for the Throw out bearing and sleeve? I was going to use the Redline CV grease I use on a bunch of applications but thought it might be to thin a grease???

17. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I have had a suggestion from a master Ferrari mechanic to use copperslip anti seize. Also read many forums online and one old timer said use anti seize and wipe it all off before assembly? I want this perfect so still weighing my options. Still waiting to hear from you guys!!! :-0

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    not sure rob ive done everything else but clutch work on mine. the copper slip sounds ok to me. it obviously needs something. Any info in the WSM?

19. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Also, ring gears are pressed onto the flywheels. That is why there is a small gap.

robertgarven likes this.
  20. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    All,

HA Wade is my master tech! I couldn't find copperslip anywhere so ordered some stuff called Copaseal. Hope that works. I apologize to all I spend more time thinking about what I am going to do than actual work. However I have no time constraints, but want to get this back on the road!

I read a bunch of online forums on anti seize where guys were about to get in fistfights over what to use and not use. Most of the anger was spent of using it on wheel bolts, and whether copper anti seize inhibits or cause more galvanic action in aluminum! Of course that is what I have been using on my spark plugs for 25 years...

absostone likes this.
  21. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Friends,

Sorry about the delay between the weather and the band and some health issues I got sidetracked. Here is an update:

I ordered a ring-nut for the top output shaft that comes from the flywheel and it would not thread on even though the one I took off came off easily. I ordered another one form a different source and it did not fit either. The threads were a little rough where you tap the ringnut shoulder in, so I used Image Unavailable, Please Login a thread file and cleaned it up with no luck. The nut would not even go on more than a thread. I checked the pitch on both, 1.5 and was stumped. In desperation I reach out to Wade who knew instantly what was up and said the non Ferrari remakes are too small. I found a dealer which had some in stock and will hopefully get one that fits.

I also bought a new roller bearing for the bottom trans input shaft. The other one was not bad just thought I would put a new one in while I was there. Unfortunately the inner race does not slide easily over the shaft. It has to come out somewhat easy to remove the bell housing and you cannot get a puller on it so I will use the original bearing. Wade mentioned you could sand the inner bearing on a lathe but I decided to go with what is working! If anyone needs a new expensive bearing for cheap let me know!!!

Once I get that buttoned up my next dilemma is how to lock the transfer gears so that they do not rotate while torquing down. Someone mentioned a cloth. If anyone has any better ideas or trick please let me know. I want t get this back together as I have a coolant issue on another thread I need to address!

Thanks to all who have contributed, and Wade especially for his depth of knowledge!!!

Rob

22. Ferrari Tech

Ferrari Tech Formula 3

Mar 5, 2010
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Wade Williams
    Thanks for the kind words Rob. Glad to help. I just did a 308 clutch and our conversation had it all right at the front of my mind, made it easy.

23. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Wade,

Did your ringnut fit? How do you torque that down, rag , in gear, etc? You Rock!!!

Rob

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    To torque down the lower gear, install the mid gear, put the car in gear and torque away.

25. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Wade,

How about the top gear, same thing? Also I ordered a third nut from FOD and it is the same, to small, did you use the lapping compound on yours?

Rob