488 GTB - Brakes Squeak | FerrariChat

488 GTB - Brakes Squeak

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jennifer488, Nov 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jennifer488

jennifer488 Rookie

Aug 8, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have a 2018 488 GTB and the brakes constantly squeak. I told my service rep about them twice and he basically said there is nothing he can do. The car sounds awful and it's embarrassing when I come to a stop everyone is looking at my car because it sounds awful. Has anyone else had this issue and/or know of a solution?

Thank you!

2. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    Run up to highway speed (150mph) and apply the brakes firmly.

3. jennifer488

jennifer488 Rookie

Aug 8, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    A few people have told me to do this, and I've done it many times and it still does not help.

4. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    How many miles are you up to?

5. jennifer488

jennifer488 Rookie

Aug 8, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA

6. Alexfor8

Alexfor8 Rookie

Aug 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    ALEXANDER FOREST
    Hopefully not a cracked pad or a chip in the rotor, that the only other thing I can think of. The carbon ceramics are naturally squeely but shouldn't be that bad. Also, congrats on driving it, good to see miles on a Ferrari

7. jennifer488

jennifer488 Rookie

Aug 8, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yes I had been stressed about putting miles on it, but then everyone told me to chill out and just drive it. So I did...

8. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Try cleaning the discs and pads with brake cleaner spray. It might help for a while, but it will come back again. It's quite common with certain cars with carbon ceramic discs

9. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

That's frustrating. I didn't have it on my 458 (5,000 miles) and I don't have it on my 488 (1500 miles). Out of concern for squealing brakes, I only use soap and water on the wheels and tires.

10. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Have you ever used tire shine or wheel cleaner? I would agree that brake cleaner may help but I’d be careful to avoid other surfaces including the calipers. Or remove the calipers and pressure wash the rotors and pads. That’s what I’d be doing.

11. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    I
    Isn’t that what the dealer should be doing?

Melvok likes this.
  12. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Absolutely, but if the problem is being characterized as normal, I’d initiate action to resolve it independently.

13. Chadly

Chadly Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2010
    Bothell, WA
    Full Name:
    Chad
    My brakes squeak on my 458. I could careless really. I'm totally fine with people judging me because my brakes squeak when I'm driving around in a 6 figure car :cool:

Jamie traina likes this.
  14. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You should shoot for threashhold breaking, the tires should be on the edge of locking up, ABS engaging. Go find a deserted road someplace then do some runs 80+ mph to 5. Try that 2-3 times in quick succession and let us know if that helps. The objective is to really get some heat in the brakes. You may not be breaking aggressively enough.

nmcclure likes this.
  15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Have the brakes squeaked since the beginning or is this a recent development? Is the squeak only when you press on the break pedal?

16. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I’m so sorry nothing worse than spending good money on a car and feeling like you don’t want to use it.

17. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I have the same problem and the only solution they proposed me is to change pads. But I've 3k miles and it is illogical to change them.
    I had CC brakes on the last 10 years (8 cars) and only 488 have this issue.

18. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Change pads on 3K miles? Only if those are only from the track. Dealer just trying to make money off you.

DO NOT use any silicone based products (like usual tire shine) or harsh rim cleaners.

One way to cure this is to use a power washer on your rims and brakes. Repeat when it comes back, slamming on brakes at high speed will only warm up your rotors and alleviate it, but once they cool back down it's the noise all over again.

This is sadly an issue with ceramic brakes and rotors.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    here is the info off of Pagid's site. I do something similar on street cars; race cars, first lap for break in. You can probably skip step 1 since you've already been driving, but I would do a few stops to get the temps in the system.

Breaking-in
    Creating a perfect contact-pattern between rotor and brake pad surface.

10 stops with low pressure and low temperature from 150 km/h (90 MPH) to approximately 80 km/h (50 MPH).

Distance between each brake stop approximately 600 – 800 meters (600 to 800 yards).

Heating-up
    Warm up in order to initiate some core heat in the whole brake system.

A sequence of 5 stops with medium to high pressure from 180 km/h (112 MPH) to approximately 60 km/h (37 MPH) with maximum acceleration between the stops.

After the last stop cool down for 3 minutes with the speed preferably not higher than 100 km/h (62 MPH).

Recovery Stops
    3 to 5 stops with low pressure from 150 km/h (90 MPH) to approximately 80 km/h (50 MPH).

Distance between each brake stop approximately 600 – 800 meters (600 to 800 yards).

and here is the PFC data: https://pfcbrakes.com/Portals/0/DNNGalleryPro/uploads/2018/8/10/20180810_AMK_%20AM%20Pad%20Bedding%20Procedure%20Rev%204.pdf

20. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Mine don't do it anymore but I have used them pretty hard in the mileage I have put on my car. I have 1800 miles now and the brakes no longer squeak at low speed. They were doing it a lot in the first few months but as I have used the car more, taken it to the track twice and out to my county road once, the brakes have been leaned on pretty hard. I actually have video of them squeaking into turn 11 at COTA back in July but they have pretty much settled down now.

I am not sure how much all the remediation techniques work but my car is now quiet even if temporarily.

21. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Jennifer,

It is my understanding that this an intermittent and random issue: some cars have it, some cars don't. Those that indeed have brake squeak, it's a cronic issue: you just manage it. Sooner or later it will come back, even if you correctly brake-in the pads and/or have them cleaned and the brake system bled. This is both valid for the 458 and 488, despite having different brakes.

If you decide to clean the rotors/pads (either yourself or if you entrust the task to a mechanic), just make sure you don't use abrasive chemicals. They're great to remove dirt, but they can damage and compromise the different contact surfaces and greatly reduce their life (ask me how I know :confused:).

If everyone looks at you whenever you come to a stop, that's because you're driving a Ferrari :D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

22. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Mine has it. I hate it.

23. rolikmeir

rolikmeir Karting

Aug 5, 2018
    bedding the brakes has fixed the issue for me. i daily drive the 458 so whenever the squeaks come back I put in a hard stop and its gone for the next few days.

Melvok likes this.
  24. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    I would strongly recommend not using any other product to clean the router service other than acetone.

I mean normal soap and water will not affect it but using other chemicals like brake clean, will severely damage rotor material...

Ask me how I know....

MinorBrake noise when coming to a slow speed stop it’s been a pretty normal thing between various meetings that I’ve owned... BMW , MB , Especially Porsche and Lamborghini ....
    And a few Ferrari’s ..

Loud high-pitched squeaking anytime you are braking may be normal when driving a challenge car, but driving a streetcar, I cannot imagine not ever being characterized as normal !

Viperjoe likes this.
  25. Bmill

Bmill Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2011
    California/Minnesota
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Interesting timing of my reading this. My 458 squeaks from the front the left front badly and a bit from the right. My GTC4Lusso is 100% fine. I just had the 458 in for service and have a good relationship with my master mechanic. Our discussion was more or less like we are told not to phase it this way to customers but the squeaking is almost all ways a combination our owner issues and manufacturing tolerance in the rotor, sometimes pads. As he looks me in the eye he says if a owner doesn’t break the brakes in properly OR does a full stop at high speed on cold brakes with a rotor at the limits of manufacturing tolerance there will be a issue. He then showed me the difference in parts of my rotors Per wheel and a different 458.

Permanent solution? Pads and rotors. BTW anyone know the cost of that? I forgot to ask. Temporary fix is wheel off cleaning, which he did for $600 and it did noticeably improve the issue.

I did ask about the braking sequence discussed above. His reply it will work if the rotors / pads are not too bad....But it ant going to work for you.