Testarossa Strange No Start problem | FerrariChat

Testarossa Strange No Start problem

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rsqrd930, Nov 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rsqrd930

rsqrd930 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Richard Roth
    I promise I searched the threads but couldn't find an 'exact' match.

My 1990 Testarossa will start up fine, drive anywhere; but when I turn it off, several minutes later it won't start. Not like won't fire up, it is just dead. Turn the key, nothing, no engine turn, no clicking of a starter relay; nothing. Electric seems on, so I don't 'think' it is the ignition switch.

Anyway, a minute or two later, turn the key, fires right up! Scary though....

Any experiences in the crowd? Problem is I have a hard time replicating, it seems to only fail like this outside of my workshop ....

2. rsqrd930

rsqrd930 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Richard Roth
    An update, I tried a different search and saw an issue with a 93 (i think) TR with a "9 pin connector" that was corroded. The links to pics were old, but it said where to look so I'll try there this weekend.
    Any other ideas welcomed.

3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    By all means check the connectors but also check your battery. This symptom would be consistent with a bad battery.

SV

4. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Welcome to the world of Testarossa....

Not a strange issue, but common.

Post this in the TR section.

Easily fixed, but pretty embarrassing at a gas station.

Shawn

(Not trying to ignore the problem, just trying to get you to the right area)

5. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    Could be the solenoid being heat soaked as well. If you search on "solenoid" there are a bunch of threads with different creative solutions.

6. rsqrd930

rsqrd930 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Richard Roth
    Does anyone have a pic or location of that 9 pin? I looked around the driver side air intakes (In the general area of the solenoid I thing at the top of the houseing), but I couldnt see one. I will look in the manuals too.