Insurance | FerrariChat

Insurance

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by udalmia, Mar 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. udalmia

udalmia Guest

hey guys
    i know the insurance question has been asked several times but then i think this is slightly different

my dad just picked up a 2004 360 spider, when we went to get insurance, we get a quote that its $2k for my dad and its $13k for me?

reasons i think my insurance is higher (im not aware of the system we are new residents)

1. I'm 20
    2. I have 2 points on my license (40 in a 30 zone)
    3. It's an expensive car

We ended up getting insurance just for my dad but the way that turned out i cant even drive this beautiful car!!! any suggestions are welcome, i am not sure what the name of the insurance company is, the dealer got us the quotes but i will check and post here shortly

thank you, any help is appreciated

2. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I am 20 and have a 2003 Mercedes G500 and was quoted $10,000 per year if I was the primary driver. I do not have any traffic violations or points on my record. My mother had the car insured with her as the primary driver and me as the secondary, and now insurance is costing about $5k a year for both of us.

I use All-State btw.

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Up here in Canada I have a 20 year old "newcomer" as a client who drives a 911 C4.

$12K a year insurance..........if you are under 25 you usually get hammered pretty hard.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    If you got married it might come down a little ;)

Unmarried males under 25 generally get reamed in the US (and rightly so IMO)...

5. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Cold, hard, statistics show you will probably end up doing things in this car that will affect it's value. Getting older, married, and having a clean driving record are the only solutions. Sorry.

6. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Time is about the only thing that will bring down the rate.

You can get a lower rate by agreeing to limit the mileage driven each year; about 2,500 miles with no driving to school or work will usually qualify the car as a pleasure vehicle, but you'll still pay 10-12 times more than your dad. It's not a coincidence that the chances are 10-12 times greater that you'll stuff the thing into a wall before your dad will.

7. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Just be thankful you didn't list your occupation as "NHL player".......

8. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    You should have added the vehicle to your existing policy. Father as primary driver. Rate probably would have been less.

In my experience with non-ferrari dealerships, usually have contacts for problem drivers.

Call Hartford, Chubb direct or a state farm agent etc. and get a few quotes.

Also, you should go to traffic school when you get a ticket. They have an online traffic school webtrafficschool.com. Its very easy to complete the course and you can do it whenever you want. Even if you get more than one ticket a year, you can usually ask for traffic school and theyll give it to you.
    I went to traffic school twice in a 4 month period.

9. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    That's like NO insurrence. Better pray you don't have a claim; you'll never collect.

Ken