Rob doing Disney at Thanksgiving | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Rob doing Disney at Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by rob lay, Sep 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Venice beach is more for people watching and shopping for touristy stuff on the boardwalk. SaMo beach itself is more generally more crowded in the Summer since it's the most accessible via public transportation but you also get the pier and 3rd St Promenade. Neither one should be a mob in November though. The water is going to be in the mid 60's.

rob lay likes this.
  2. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    As stated, most of the beaches will be cold. Around this time of year, Zuma was always my go to, but with the fires, that's likely out. Since you're in OC, Newport peninsula is a great classic CA beach spot. From RJs on down. You might want to try main beach in Laguna, which is great even if you don't swim (used to be the place for NBA offseason pickup games.)

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Disney in Anaheim is a long, long way from Venice Beach.

"The pheasants are beneath me." - SoCal to az
    "I have very few pet peeves in life . . . " - PeterS
    "Change is inedible" - fc2

rob lay likes this.
  4. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    For the beach you might try Crystal Cove. Then if the water is too cold, you can explore the tide pools.

rob lay likes this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    will we have any impact from fires staying between Disney, Crystal Cove, and Hollywood?

6. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    Anything north of Santa Monica (which includes Malibu) might be impacted by the fires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    You will definitely want to stay away from Malibu. Hollywood will smell smoky. Orange County (Disneyland and Crystal Cove) will not be an issue. Another beach suggestion would be Huntington Beach, if there are waves you could see some good surfing and the beach is huge.

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #33 TTR, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    With all due respect, but perhaps your perception of it may differ from expectations of a young teenage girl who has never experienced it (see below). ;)

9. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yeah, rule out Malibu.... sad moonscape.

When you're around the Chinese Theater in Hollywood, Universal Studios tour is just over Highland Bl from there and you get the City Walk along with it. BH, Venice and SaMo in the same day will be too much so you might want to consider staying around here for a night since all of this stuff is at least a good hour or more from OC.

Remember, the "commission scene" from Pretty Woman was filmed at Boulmiche!

.... girls like that ;)

10. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm in Hollywood right now. There's no significant impact from the fires, skies are clear, no smell of smoke. Air quality is listed as "moderate" according to my iPhone.
    I will add, when I had my family in LA this spring, we stayed in Santa Monica and rented bikes. The ride down the boardwalk from Santa Monica through Venice was a highlight, so don't rule it out.

Dave rocks likes this.
  11. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Rob, if you are 12 then the highlights of the LA area would be Disneyland, Universal Studios and Sea World. I would shudder as an adult trying to do all 3 in one trip. However, if you are in Orange County, Sea World in San Diego is about the same distance in terms of time as Universal or Santa Monica. So you might want to think about a day trip in that direction. Sea World is also a nice contrast to Disneyland and the surrounding area is much nicer and cleaner than anything in LA.

Also if you are down in San Diego and you want to make it a long day you might want to think about Misson Bay (the water is far better there than anywhere in LA or OC) and dinner in Old Town.

12. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    One other possibility, depending on the kind of 12 year old you have, is Rodeo Drive in BeverlyHills. If your daughter is into fashion and celebrities (and some 12 year olds are) then a trip there would be interesting. There are tons of designer shops and you will always see at least 2 or 3 celebrities. Your wife probably will like it too, though your pocketbook likely wont.

Rodeo Drive would be good in combination with a Santa Monica trip.

timjen88 likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    good idea!

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Ok, here's a rough game plan for Sunday. Looks like everything close just needing to avoid Los Angeles traffic. We'll hit everything quick, but I think this will be great day for Mia Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and the beach. What hours should we avoid traveling between Disney and up North? maybe don't head North in morning until after 9am, then stay up there for dinner to avoid coming back in it too?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ohh wait, how's traffic on Sunday, shouldn't be a concern like weekday?

16. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Hollywierd is the wild card in the equation and frankly not much there other than panhandlers and traffic. Traffic is always bad in that area and often Sunday is the worst. As an example, it will likely take you twice as long to get from OC to Hollywood as from OC to Santa Monica even though the distance is about the same.

If you have to do Hollywierd then I would leave it to the tail end of the day trip (no loss if you don’t do it) and go from Rodeo Drive to it on surface streets. Then at the end of the day you can return to OC using the freeway. That is about the time and direction of travel that will minimize traffic (but I have tried that commute at midnight on a Sunday and it still is jammed).

As part of the day I would suggest visiting Venice Beach (weird and wonderful people in micro bikinis juggling chain saws on a nice beach), the Santa Monica Pier (with the Ferris wheel) and a nice beach, lunch at the Ivy at the Shore on Ocean in Santa Monica (great views from the cliff down at Santa Monica beach with great food and again celebrities and people watching) and then a drive over to Rodeo Drive. If you want, you can take a bus tour of Beverly Hills and they will point out the celebrity homes. Then a quick drive on Sunset Boulevard over to Hollywierd.

Good luck.

rob lay likes this.
  17. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    The only time that there is not heavy traffic is early Saturday and Sunday. That said, getting from the Santa Monica area (or Hollywood) back to Disneyland will probably only be around an hour almost any time on Sunday. Santa Monica and Venice are a good choice for viewage, that will be more entertaining then just a beach.

18. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Concur with all but the last sentence.
    If you’re at Dland, Newport Beach is just 20 min south.
    Plenty to do and see on the island.
    Going to OC beaches, you avoid some of the horrendous LA traffic.

Of course, living in La Jolla, I’m spoiled AND biased.

19. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Yeah, but they are going up there anyway, and Venice is the only place to see Venice.

20. darth550

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    If you're coming all the way up to SaMo then you have to check out the Venice boardwalk too.

Have you decided against swimming in the ocean?

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think we want to give it a try just to say we did.

22. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Yup, I got that.
    Being a SOCAL native, I've never understood the allure of Venice Beach.
    Far too many that are much better. Again, I'm biased.

23. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott

Last summer we did all three in one trip plus whale watching, Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier, Knots Berry Farm and Hollywood. It was a bit much (And flipping expensive!). I thought Universal was a let down for me but my grand kids loved the Harry Potter stuff, especially the castle show at night. But overall that is the one I would pass on next time.

Sea World was amazing, I don't care what kind of bad press they get, that was everyones favorite stop on our trip. Hint though, if you go to Sea World, don't go see the dolphin show first and get soaked..........Next time that will be my last stop. When they offer to sell you rain ponchos, BUY THEM! That is if you sit in the "splash zone" but I wouldn't have sat any where else.

24. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Did this trip over the summer w/ kids. Stayed in Beverly Hills (fathers day car show on rodeo is fantastic!), hit Hollywood for walk of fame, studio tour, and then moved along to disney and Santa Monica pier. Prepare yourself, walk of fame is depressing and dirty as it's basically a flee market covering the stars with people selling fried hot dogs every 15 feet. However, it's a must see and check off the list item. Oh, and check out the guy who spray paints incredible paintings w/ just krypton and newspaper, regret not buying one now. . I believe the studio tour we did was Warner Brothers. Very cool tour and if your daughter likes "friends", she can be photographed on the sofa in "central perk". They also have a great deal of Harry Potter items, batman cars. costumes, etc. If you've been to Disney Florida, Disney California will fit in your your Florida Disney's hotel parking lot. It's fun and different, especially car's land, but go in knowing it's a completely different vibe and size. That being said, we had a blast. Fun trip and y'all will have a great time!

rob lay likes this.
  25. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Are you traveling today?