Extended Warranty or Not? - 488 | FerrariChat

Extended Warranty or Not? - 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SoCal to az, Nov 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My warranty runs out next spring. Im planning on keeping the car for atleast another year- maybe more. Would you get an extended warranty? $4500 or so as peace of mind or just wing it? I figure ill drive about 1500 or so miles on the car next year - maybe a bit less in rotation with the other cars in the garage.

Its a 2016 and I have a touch over 4000 miles on the car. Thoughts?

2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    As it is a 2016, you would be looking at the option of a 1 or 2 year warranty extension... exactly like the coverage you currently have.
    Will run you approx. $6,300 ( 1 yr ) or $9,900 ( 2 years )

New Power Warranty kicks in after the above options run out and will run you $4,500 per year ( before renewal discounts and such )

Going back to your org question though...

I have only experienced a couple malfunctions that would concern me, both were fluid leaks, one relating to a turbo failure.

A good pre-warranty expiration inspection would be the first step... if all is well, only you know your risk level.

S

SoCal to az likes this.
  3. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    Buy the warranty. If you can drive with no worries of a mechanical issue you will enjoy those 1500 miles even more!

350MH83, SoCal to az and Shadowfax like this.
  4. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    In my opinion with what I’ve seen on the Ferrari’s that are in the service department when I go in there, and I go in a lot, because I know all the mechanics there, I would strongly recommend getting the warranty.
    The problem is that I think your numbers are off. I just purchased a 2 year extension on my Speciale Aperta and for one year they wanted around 7,000 and for 2 years I paid about 10,500 with sales tax.
    So you should investigate the charges with your dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350MH83 likes this.
  5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    My numbers are likely off as I was just guesstimating.

6. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I would buy the warranty, you would get peace of mind as low mileage is a not a good predictor of whether you will have mechanical issues. I believe the warranty is transferable to the new buyer in case you decided to sell.

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    waste of money. save it and pay out of pocket if something happens

boobernackle and up4speed like this.
  8. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    It’s not a waste of money when a transmission goes bad on the car. Just a sensor problem on the F-1 is 10,000 dollars
    And if it has a bad wet clutch it’s up between 15,000 and 20,000 and believe me it happens often more then most people know.

9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Insurance = peace of mind :)

up4speed likes this.
  10. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    Buy the warranty!

11. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #11 up4speed, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    I'm in the school of thought that it's a numbers game, nothing else. Look at probability. Probability says you are going to lose money with it. They are not in business to hand out free money/repairs. They make a ton of money on these warranties. If I bought warranties on all my prior cars, it would have cost me the price of a whole other car. I haven't spent money on repairs above the cost of the warranty yet, on any of my cars, so I'm WAY ahead of the game. At this point, if I look at the big picture, I would still be way, way ahead even if I had to pay for a brand new transmission for my 458.
    Warranties are good for people that are not handy, have commuter cars, and are on a tight budget where a repair would really mess them up. They need it as an insurance policy or peace of mind, and it's considered a fixed cost to them.
    All that said, YOU have to do what you are comfortable with, obviously it's a risk, and some people will lose. However, I can tell you, out of all the Ferrari guys I know, most get the warranty, but not one ever said "thank god I got the warranty or I would have been screwed" (yes, I know those people exist, but many more have said they didn't need the warranty and wasted their money).
    Using your numbers, you are paying an additional $3/mile (for the warranty, on top of every other cost) to drive that car if you sell it in a year with an additional 1,500 miles on it. (assuming you don't use the warranty. Of course if you use it, and the repair cost more than the warranty, then you'll be ahead and glad you purchased, lol)

12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Paying an extra 4500 to drive a car 1500 miles is nothing but ridiculous. If it was 15k then maybe it wld make sense.

up4speed likes this.
  13. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Better yet ill buy that risk for 4k. Let me know if you want to do that trade.

up4speed and boobernackle like this.
  14. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'd pay the money. I've always found if you pay for warranty nothing ever goes wrong but when you don't - boom!

So a paid warranty generally means worry free driving until they ask you for it again.

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    amazing how much people ***** and moan about having to pay 6k for a major service every 5 years on some of the older cars but paying 4500 for 12 mos of insurance makes sense - only on fchat!

up4speed and boobernackle like this.
  16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Statistically a paid for warranty or insurance is always a bad deal for the buyer - because that's the only way the seller could make money.
    But the buyer is paying for peace of mind, and we're not talking crazy money here.
    I just bought the two years extension in France for EUR 7,500 (tax included).

up4speed and MANDALAY like this.
  17. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    4000 miles is nothing. 458 and 488 cars are bulletproof. Above all, you're the owner so you know the vehicle's history and I would skip it. Routine service is still covered, but you already knew that.

House wins Everytime.

Viperjoe and SoCal to az like this.
  18. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    Well I for one am saying thank god for the extended warranty as I just had a sensor in the transmission replaced.

up4speed likes this.
  19. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm sure there are many more on Fchat as well, since there are thousands of users.
    Maybe we should do a new thread with a poll to see how many had repairs that had warranties and the fix exceeded the cost of the warranty? vs those who had warranties and the cost of the fix didn't exceed the warranty.
    I would be very curious to see the results.
    We also can't forget that a lot of stuff gets denied. One of my friends had a 430 that had a leaking actuator and they didn't cover it because it was "a leak" WTF!
    what else do they expect to happen? They don't cover the common failures it seems.

20. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
  21. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Keep in mind repairs at independent shops very familiar with Ferraris will be way less than same thing at a dealer.

22. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I agree. There are also many people, like myself, that will do repairs themselves. In that situation, the breakeven point will be way different than the person that goes to the dealer for everything. I guess that for arguments sake, we can just assume dealer repairs for everything, just to get a baseline.