NFL 2018 | Page 53 | FerrariChat

NFL 2018

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tomc, Feb 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not as cray if your a Niners fan, because I know exactly what would happen - they will own the game for 59 minutes then lose it in the 60th minute...which is why I took the Giants in the picks thread

2. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Darn it, I forgot it was Monday Night last night..............................at 54 I am not old enough to be forgetting stuff like this yet am I?

3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    This Thursday's game (Packers at Seahawks) should be highly competitive also. Earlier in the season I would have gone with the Packers 100%. Now, I'm not too sure that's the correct pick.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Two of the better QBs in the league. This might be a TNF that's not a dog.
    But, then again, I would have guessed that last night's game would be a snoozer, and it was pretty good.
    T

tifoso2728 likes this.
  5. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    So who does LeVeon Bell think he is, the Curt Flood of the new millennium?

6. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Curt Flood and Marvin Miller laid the groundwork for MLB baseball players to be the most overpaid people on the planet

tomc likes this.
  7. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Or, they simply created a market for athletes that wasn't artificially restricted, IMO.

tomc and TexasF355F1 like this.
  8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    These are not mutually exclusive!

There was a story on NFL.com abt Bell to this effect yesterday, although the author did not name Flood (probably a whippersnapper who doesn't know his history?!?). At any rate, the restrictions on Flood et al. were nowhere near what they are on Bell. That being said, the author made an interesting point in that two others who were in similar situations and played - Dez and Earl Thomas - were injured quickly and their seasons are over. In Dez's case, maybe his career. I don't fault Bell, he's waiting a year to get - he hopes - a bigger payday in the longer run. Presumably, a longer-term contract with more guaranteed money that will bring him more financial security. Given the concerns about CTE, football players should make as much dough as quickly as possible. Would I stay @ home for a year if I thought that I had a very good chance of doubling my pay next year? I would be sorely tempted!

T

9. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    He has screwed his team and at some point you lose support for your cause and the tides turn on you. I don't fault him but I do believe he is going about this wrong.

nicholasn likes this.
  10. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I'm sure he has zero love in West Virginia (Of which western Pennsylvannia is part), but, how else does one make a point about the un-loved "franchise tag"??

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    They are far from screwed. Pitt is in first place in the division. They are behind only KC in the conference. Pitt has two more wins within its division than any other team in the AFC North. Maybe Bell/Pitt underestimated how much they need each other?

In large part, the emergence of Connor has mitigated the impact of Bell's absence.

T

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I'm not sure he's making a point. Simple math for him. He's 26. Has about 4 or 5 years before he's old by running back standards. He likely sees this as a good way to maximize his $$$ in the time he has left. Give up a little cash now to make more later. Plus, unless he's spending dough like there was no tomorrow, he can afford to go a year without a paycheck.

I think where jealousy might come into play is the fact that he can take a year off work without pay and not being in the poor house. I could do it, but my wife, Ferrari and the dog would not be able to continue to live in the style to which they've become accustomed to!
    T

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I just wonder if his next contract will make up for that $14.5 mil he's losing this year. But more power to him, team owner's are no less ruthless.

I always like to say that I started with nothing and I still have most of it left. :D

tifoso2728 likes this.
  14. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #1314 tomc, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    That is the gamble. In the absence of owner collusion, I think he'll do fine.

LOL.

T

15. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That's the thing, he'll never get that $15mm back.

This has the perfect scenario of a game 1 season ending injury. I hope not, but these scenarios always have some sort kink in them.

16. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    By screwed the team I mean more along the line of the players, coaches, friendships etc., he burned bridges. In tight knit places of employment such as the NFL that's not a good thing. Owners flat out blackball some players and the Steelers have proved they don't need Bell. No matter how young he is there is always someone better and younger right behind him waiting to take his job.

17. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    I guess i should state that I supported Curt Flood's actions back then in pre-history. The baseball club owners brought most of this on themselves.

18. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Again, as I have said a million times, if the players don't get it, the owners keep it. More power to the players.

My sense is Bell has more than enough money to quit/retire, and at the end of the last two seasons
    we saw a much larger outflux of players retiring - many more than usual, so in the age of knee, ankle, foot, hamstring AND concussions,
    many players are banking a few million and calling it a career much earlier than usual.
    (How much do YOU need to retire on? 750K? one million? 1.5 million?)
    I think Bell is thinking somewhat along those lines, I don't think he honestly cares if he plays again or not.

19. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    That happens all the time.
    Teams cut guys, teams trade guys, guys ***** because they don't get the ball as much as they think they should,
    guys ***** because they don't get paid as much, guys ***** because the teams either trade key players or they
    don't acquire players that the team thinks they need.... hell look at Oakland and Green Bay - getting rid of almost
    anyone no matter who they are. Seattle too.

My guess is if James Conner was not doing as well Pittsburgh would have negotiated with Bell a bit more seriously.

Can one player make a diff? YES, but in Pittsburgh, Bell is not the one to make a difference this season, not with
    Conner, Brown and Smith-Shuster doing so well.
    Oh - Pittsburgh had a GREAT player they got rid of, folks cried, said Pitt was going down the drain. Santonio Holmes anyone?

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks, I mis-interpreted your post. I have had co-workers take new jobs for more money. If I like them, I'm happy for them. If I don't like them, they're greedy bastages! :D I suspect similar dynamic here...T

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Bastages? Tom, you fargin icehole! :D

(Apologies to Johnny Dangerously)

22. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    With or without Bell, they will still lose to NE.

At least now they have an excuse, they can say “if we had Bell we would have beaten the Pats”

Lotaz likes this.
  23. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    What about losing to the Chefs?

24. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    They would have to play (and lose to) NE first because Chiefs would end up 1st overall and NE and PITT would end up in the middle . Chiefs get lowest seed, and lowest seed won't be NE or Pitt

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

T