Removing 360 steering column, sticky parts | FerrariChat

Removing 360 steering column, sticky parts

Discussion in '360/430' started by SeaNile, Mar 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Are there any tricks to removing the steering column on the 360? I need to remove and send to Robbie to have the sticky issue taken care of. It's bad enough that my finger tips get black when inserting the key and the knee of my pants get very black from getting in and out and my legs barely touching the column. I took a quick look and it seems to be just a few screws?

Any tricks before I have at this?

John

2. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm not sure about removing the steering column, but I just had Robbie redo some switches for me. He's a real good guy. He turned them around in 2 days. They look great. Much better than the sticky stuff. Highly recommend his work.

Eric

3. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm stuck here and hoping I don't have to remove the entire dash to get the clam shell off. Any idea how to get the steering column shell off of a 360? I have the 2 screws that hold the shell together off and can get the top part of the shell off but I can't manage to get the lower portion off. Do I need to remove the surrounding dash where my knees would be?

4. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
  5. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I will check it out but it's the bottom portion I can't get off. It's like I need the steering wheel to go up more.

6. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    I couldn't get mine off either, so just ended-up cleaning it in place with the 90% isopropyl & a rag. Was a LOT of work, but is definitely MUCH better without the "goo". Good luck!

James

7. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It may be a dumb question, but did you try to adjust the rake AND the *reach* of the steering wheel?

-Jim

8. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    I did without success.

9. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Got my new steering column clam shell and will try to put it on tomorrow or over the weekend. Hope it goes well....

10. McGuyver

McGuyver Rookie

Sep 12, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    S Mudry
    I also had good luck with Denatured alcohol as well. It was suggested to try Goo Gone from Wallyworld but it didn't work very well. I had an old bottle of another citrus based glue remover that's used in the screen printing business called "Icky Sticky Unstuck" This stuff worked great but I don't know where to find it anymore.

11. fivegolfers

fivegolfers Karting

Mar 25, 2011
    East Wenatchee, WA
    Full Name:
    Todd S
    So how did you end up getting the bottom clam shell off? I will need to for sticky repair in a few weeks? Thanks!

12. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thats going back about 7-8 years for me? I'm pretty sure it was just a few screws and then the two shells had a tab that clicked together. It wasn't the most graceful removal but I do remember I got it done with zero damage to any of the parts, or myself.

13. gsworld2014

gsworld2014 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2014
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Greg S
    3 screws and 2 tabs. Really easy

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Todd - so I've not personally remove one yet but we refinish them all the time.

Here are some photos that may help you.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

do it yourself with rubbing alcohol or send it to robby at stickynomore. he does fantastic work

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Removing the coating with alcohol will result in a bare piece of plastic that will look nothing like a refinished part. What you see above is an image of our finish.

Here is a video demonstration of our coating. No other has the chemical and mar resistance we offer:

17. RossoC360

RossoC360 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jun 20, 2008
    Buffalo NY
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What type of person would post this?

18. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here is an example of what can happen when you "clean" parts with rubbing alcohol or any other products.

19. BRIAN ALEXANDER

Nov 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    BRIAN ALEXANDER
    To remove the lower half I used a soapy micro fiber rag and placed it between the part and leather. Remove the screws holding the lower dash panel from the radio to the four switch opening. Also since I had the four switch plate removed (sticky switch repair) remove the 4mm screw in the left corner. Carefully pull down on the left lower corner to increase the clearance. The lower clam slid out.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  20. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

What a BS post. Many have posted that rubbing alcohol works just fine. How do we know your even using alcohol in that video

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    As usual you continue to troll me and do so with FAKE NEWS.

This video explains it all.

22. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Thanks for posting that video. Its very informative. I think it also proves my point that lasering is not needed most of the time. Its just more steps, and more money..But Thanks!!

02360spider likes this.
  23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    For lever switches, as a standard, we remove the icon and clean them. The manufacture did those with a low gloss coating and 90% of the time, they can be cleaned and reinstalled (into a refinished switch housing). If those icons are damaged, or shinny from a prior attempt to clean, we offer the customer the option of refinishing those. By engaging with our customers, we learn their individual goals and for customers that are looking for the highest level of quality, we recommend refinishing, and laser etching those.

As stated in the video, in some cases, cleaning the clear soft touch off can yield successful and acceptable results to a lower percentage of owners. But in doing so, the gloss level will always be higher. Our customers don't want that - they want perfection. Early on we used to offer different options as an effort to save the customer money. Through experience, we learned that the effort to clean clear soft touch parts without damaging the base paint, was too great and too time consuming for a result that is less than perfect. So, we made a business decision to do the job properly. This method provides results that are repeatable and parts that all match.

For someone wanting to save money and have less than perfect results, the option of cleaning can sometimes be successful on certain parts, from certain models. However, it's far from "most of the time"

24. fivegolfers

fivegolfers Karting

Mar 25, 2011
    East Wenatchee, WA
    Full Name:
    Todd S
    Thanks Brian. I will be attempting to remove my sticky parts this Sunday afternoon and am both excited and apprehensive! Will take it slow and take pics and mark various items so when I have to reinstall I have a clue what I am doing! Always appreciate any help and insight. Have a great day! Todd

25. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

To get the upper cover off make sure you remove that bolt/strap thats posted in the link above. Please dont try to wiggle the cover off with out doing that or there a good chance one of the posts on the cover will break