The best Ferrari dino replica. awesome car. | FerrariChat

The best Ferrari dino replica. awesome car.

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by F550kid, Apr 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak
    #1 F550kid, Apr 17, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi this belonged to a friend of mine. It had a/c, electric windows, leather interior that was exactly same as dino and dashboard too. Only difference was engine cover which had to be adjusted to fit a FORD V6 cologne engine which was bored out to 3.7 litres. Twin janspeed exhaust system too.
    I have to say the sound of this car was better than most ferraris that I have heard. Was originally made by J H Classics who constructed it on a laser cut and welded chassis. All body panels except engine hood were moulded from a Dino original body.

The acceleration and handling were just superb.

Zak.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Formula Uno likes this.
  2. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Looks like a geniune copy of a fake Dino -
    ride height wrong, wheel arches wrong, wheels wrong, engine cover wrong, engine wrong - apart from that it's not bad if you like that sort of thing - probably on the wrong board though :(

Chupee likes this.
  3. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    As you mentioned, the engine cover gives the game away but also the wheel openings are off.

I've seen reproduction Dinos in British kit car magazines that use Lancia engines. Is this the same kit? I don't recall their wheel arches being so far off.

4. F550kid

F550kid Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    zak

Hi most of the replicas by the same firm had normal engine covers over a lancia 2.0 litre engine and also more authentic wheels so the engine cover was just like the original.
    This guy wanted a more powerful engine so they had to redesign the cover.

Zak

5. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
  6. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    I used to own this replica dino, it was pretty darn good using many original parts in the build

Formula Uno likes this.
  7. SpiderSweden

SpiderSweden Karting

Aug 4, 2016
    Amazing, NOT...

8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Kudos to your friend, and I'm glad he enjoys it. That's said, you'll find a tough crowd here. Reason being, just imagine posting a replica Patek Phillip in a watch enthusiasts forum. Or replica coin/stamp in a collectors forum. I think you'll get a much better reception in a replica car forum.

Be well.

9. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Guys, he's saying that it's a replica that he likes, not a substitute for the real thing.

Don't be a snob;)

anunakki and paulchua like this.
  10. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Its a cute replica. Seems they put alot of work into it. But its rarely enough.

I like to say, “if your set on remaking someone elses song, be certain you do it better than they could.”

Example

NeuroBeaker and paulchua like this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #11 paulchua, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    Agreed, many find happiness in the challenge of recreating some of the all time greats. This world certainly needs more happiness. That said, with the exclusion of some bepsoke exceptions like David Lee's example above, I don't think it's necessarily snobby to not universally appreciate faux items.

I think the root reason is it's undeniable there is an element of deception involved with most kit and replica cars. I liken the behavior to putting a M badge or AMG badge on a car that is not. I'm certainly happy it brings esteem to those that seek it, just not something I personally find apropos myself.

Cheers

12. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Totally get it guys, as mentioned I owned this Dino Rep a long time ago, back in 2008 and really only for about a year for this exact reason, it was never the real deal and no matter what it looks like it always feels wrong and fake to drive, the build quality on this was ok but you most certainly knew it was a kit car you were driving and not the real Dino.

Sold it and now in my collection I have another Ferrari that REALLY annoys the purists as its a chop top Testarossa ....and its Rat Look to add to the hate. Ratarossa is a genuine 87 Testarossa that I stumbled on and bought as a rolling shell and two crates of parts. Its a right POS but it sure is fun to build and drive.
    Heres the latest spoof just for fun video I filmed with it 'OutRun' 80s arcade game style.

Dolcevita and paulchua like this.
  13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You're in good company, sir. Many consider my car the Episode 1 in the Star Wars saga, the Stephen VI of Popes, Revolution 9 of the Beatles.
    In the end, it's if your car gives you happiness, and that's the only question these replica owners need to ask themselves honestly. If the answer is yes..you're done.

;)

Cheers

spiderscott and 19633500GT like this.
  14. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Haha nice film!
    So an 87 testa really can lay rubber without blowing the diff apart! :)

spiderscott likes this.
  15. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Neat car. :)

Thread moved to the recreations area, where I think it'll get some appreciation.

All the best,
    Andrew.

spiderscott likes this.
  16. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    If you are referring to the Mondial, I had one and think they are great underrated Ferraris, particularly good as I have two your daughters and they loved both riding in the car. Ive sold it now and have a 456 instead for something different.

Did a 9 did restoration, respray and engine rebuild on it and filmed from collection to sale for a bit of fun.

This was the final video of 9.

Willh5080 and paulchua like this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Wow that is so cool!! Thanks for sharing!

18. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

As I have said many times......I would rather have a very ratty old Ferrari than a beautiful replica any day of the week.

TTR likes this.
  19. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    If you have already said it many times, why feel the need to repeat yourself yet again in a subsection that is clearly for recreations and non period rebodies! just avoid this part of the forum if they are not for you.

This thread should actually be in the special projects section rather than here, and its not a modified vintage Ferrari anyway

Chupee and turbo-joe like this.
  20. Terry groves

Terry groves Karting

Oct 21, 2014
    Suffolk
    Full Name:
    Terry Groves
    One of the cars I used to build under DeHavilland Motor Company. 206gt replicas

21. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Terry, What happened to DeHavilland Motor Company?

Am I right in thinking they did a version based on an MG TF??

22. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I have seen your cars Terry and I must say they are / were potentially the best replica Dino's made. I own an original 246gt and when parked alongside it takes a keen eye to spot the difference.

However your 1958 250 TR with "pontoon fender" & Scaglietti body currently under construction is sublime, fantastic piece of engineering and the attention to detail looks amazing. Well done.

Tony

Terry groves likes this.
  23. Terry groves

Terry groves Karting

Oct 21, 2014
    Suffolk
    Full Name:
    Terry Groves
    Hi Jeff
    The majority of the replicas I used to build were based around the TF platform. Some were fitted with the rover KV6 engine. We also adapted a subframe for the Honda civic type R K20A engine. Then there were a couple based on 308 platform, similar to the David lee Dino but not with the £500k build cost attached.

A12pilot likes this.
  24. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Are you still building them? Cant find the info anymore.

I remember being interested in those when they were Deons many years ago.