What do you use for valve caps ? | FerrariChat

What do you use for valve caps ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by neil e dale, Nov 15, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    I needed valve caps so these seemed a good idea ! theft resistant! fr speed demons ? do set screws come w/ anti-tamper torx heads ? ......................[​IMG]

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  2. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    [​IMG]

3. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
  4. HIO Silver

HIO Silver Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2016
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Alonso C.
    Logo'ed silver caps for me.. spent a whopping $6 on 'em.

No set screws on 'em.... I park in "good areas".

Sky Hye and neil e dale like this.
  5. BlacktopRacing

BlacktopRacing Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Unless it's a show car,.I don't feel the need for fancy valve caps. That said, I do have a set of Ferrari logo'd chrome ones that cost about $5, so if they get stolen, no big deal. I normally use the green topped ones that are commonly used to indicate the tires are filled with nitrogen.

I'm 360 Canuck and f355spider like this.
  6. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    Ha HA ! yes i have plastic , silver caps very similar, presently ! the nice ones are coming fr UK !

7. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    Well even in "good areas " there can be miscreants and ne'er do wells ! ( sadly , not to mention gang bangers delivering cocaine to their Affluent customers ! ) they like to steal emblems, wheel center caps and hood ornaments too !

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Logo tire valve caps only belong on replica cars and the neighbor kids bicycles. That is simply too much unnecessary bling. (my opinion of course) ;)

Trust me on this, the set screws are not a deterrent and will not stop a determined thief, it will only cause them to do even more damage to your car when they steal them.

9. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    Have you tried filling your tires with Argon?

bellwilliam and neil e dale like this.
  10. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Prefer xenon.

11. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I had simple chrome logo caps and I say go with them if you like them. BUT, do yourself a favor and throw the setscrew away. You will inevitably find yourself needing air and not able to locate the correct allen or security driver to remove the setscrew. THEN you are trying to figure out how to get them off without totally ruining the threads of the stem. And, as pointed out go with cheap ones so you can just replace if lost.

12. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    i saw similar on an f430 coupe at the cars and coffee last Sat and they looked nice !

13. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    why not helium ? it would make the car lighter ! LOL

14. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Less unsprung weight too!
    Better handling

neil e dale likes this.
  15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    It doesn’t matter on a car you only use in the summer, like a Ferrari, but on my Audi, the metal valve caps got seized on, and as a result I had to buy a new TPMS sensor for over $100 and a hassle to get changed. So, on a dd that sees winter I’ll only ever use plastic caps.
    Just sayin’.

whatheheck, up4speed and neil e dale like this.
  16. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    Thats why we use Never seize ! and have for 50+ years on nearly everything, EVERY fastener that does not require locktite! we may never take it apart but we pay it forward to the next tech/ mechanic/owner! keep a jar handy and have a nice little stiff acid brush to wipe a very thin, mere whisp on then it will never seize! ( which never ceases to amaze me ! LOL ps there are different grades, types depending on the application even "nuclear grade" LOL Image Unavailable, Please Login

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  17. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    Carbon Fiber wheels will work wonders too ! they did/ do on the Ford Shelby GT350 ? had to recalibrate the whole suspension & settings and it laps much faster and accelerates better too ! And a tiny company in Austrailia is very happy now and bigger as a result ! someday....................... they will be even available at reasonable prices !

up4speed likes this.
  18. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This is a good thread. I can contribute next time I get to my picture database. The OG's are sexy and functional in their own right. They are like a wet T shirt contest and who can deny that is not awesome? Hard to explain but you will see what I mean...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    you guys got it wrong !! you want heaviest air. water works. more weight on the tire gives you more grip !!

neil e dale likes this.
  20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    neil e dale and whatheheck like this.
  21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
  22. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    there is a provision on the weird ROKON two wheel drive motorcycles that you can fill the wheels w/ liquid have no idea why ? Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    Yes and THATS why you use never seize on metal valve caps ,(et all other fasteners ) then it will NEVER seize on there! ( works better than dielectric grease ! ! ) LOL

24. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    fr Engineers Edge : " Anti-Seize Compound Application Review Fastener, Bolt and Screw Design Torque and Force Calculations Anti-seize materials and compounds are used on threads, bolted joints and even ACME thread installation. The goal of anti-seize is to prevent the threads from, well seizing and preventing the normal disassembly of the mechanical joint. Anti-seize compounds are also used to improve gasket performance and removal, prevent thread galling during installation, thermal cycling, dissimilar metal corrosion and protect the joint from highly corrosive environments. The most correct ant-seize compound to use is application dependent. There are several ant-seize products available. Anti-seize grease which can operate in environments up to 400+ degrees F and there are synthetic solid blends with temperature rating of 3900 degrees F. Aluminum and copper based anti-seize are generally known to be the most common used in industry. Copper formulations generally are limited to about 1,750 degrees F and aluminum based ant-seize can be rated up to 1,500 degrees F. Graphite based anti-seize are used in applications where electrical conductivity is required and/or temperature of about 850 degrees F is encountered. Graphite based anti-seize products are used in applications such as spark plugs, high voltage electrical connections, antenna connection in corrosive environments and offer minimal electrical resistance or voltage loss. In marine and similar operating environments petroleum or synthetic blends of anti-seize are used to seal the thread or other joint from the harsh environment. With these materials a water washout product is required and can be tested according to ASTM D1264, “Standard Test Method for Determining the Water Washout Characteristics of Lubricating Greases”. Anti-Seize and Fastener Torque Anti-seize lubricants act as lubricants and this characteristics should be accounted for when applying torque to screws, nuts, and other threaded connections. Dry threads will have more friction present during the torque process therefore the actual applied to achieve the desired clamp load would be greater than thread lubricated with anti-seize. See: Fastener Screw Torque Clamp Force Design Equation and Estimated Fastener Bolt Clamp Force Torque Calculator Fastener torque for threads lubricated with anti-seize should be adjusted based on the anti-seize manufacturers recommendation or by measuring the actual applied clamp force of the mechanical joint. To measure the clamp force you will need to be able to measure the bolt tension or the clamp load directly. Common methods to measure the tension applied to the fastener is to measure the length of the bolt (grip + threaded are under tension) before and after applying torque. Knowing the tensile strength of the bolt one can then calculate the applied clamp force. Another crude method of verifying torque is by marking a line on the fastener (head or nut) and mating part then backing off the fastener 1/4 turn or more then lubricate with anti-seize or grease. Then measure the torque required to tighten the fastener until the lines match up. Other methods include strain gages, ultrasonic extensometers, measure bolt angular rotation and calculating based on known thread pitch. There are bolt tester machine that can directly measure the the clamp load vs applied torque."

Solid State and DefunctNeurons like this.
  25. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    We note the Ferrari factory? sells metal valve caps! must be OK ! Eh ? .............................................................................OH ! pricy too ! LOL !!
    "OEM Ferrari Black Hexagonal Valve Stem Cap Set 70002214. 100% unused, 100% authentic.
    To allow its customers to personalize their vehicles, even more, Ferrari Genuine provides a special valve cap kit with the Cavallino Rampante logo. The caps are manufactured in anodized aluminum and do not affect the wheel balance. The body of the cap is designed to conceal the threaded stem of the valve itself. The valve caps are available in different colors, and can be matched to the center caps." I'm pretty sure these are the ones I saw on an F430 at Tucson cars and coffee!

$143.67 shipped, PayPal preferred.[​IMG]