Just drove the new Vantage | FerrariChat

Just drove the new Vantage

Discussion in 'British' started by F40-R, Oct 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    The new Aston isn’t too bad, some people like it and some hate it, I’m still a little confused but it’s too much AMG when thinking about it.

Otherwise, not a bad entry model - let’s see how the S and AMR models pan out.

Thought I’d share the experience.

2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
  3. cb804

cb804 Karting

May 8, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Carmen B.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Holy moly, that color is so bad. Thankfully it's a wrap. When the door is open, it's a different color. I have to admit, I wasn't sure about the design when I saw the first photos but the car looks great in person. It's very low and very wide. Looks very good in gray, metallic red and blue.

Attached Files:

GuyIncognito likes this.
  4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i love it !

5. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    The new Vantage is beautiful in person and I found it exhilarating to drive. Such an improvement over the previous generation. Aston is definitely on the right path.

6. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    Such a comedian! Would you think Ferrari was "on the right path" if you popped your hood or engine cover and saw a McLaren engine peeking out? I didn't think so...

7. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    And your point is? We’re talking about Aston Martin. They need a new path, Ferrari has been doing pretty well.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  8. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Aston used to use an old ford/Jag block. Are they better off now?

If Ferrari suddenly started polishing paint and providing a nav that could be updated, would it not be on a better path?

SV

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    FIFY

;)

JCR likes this.
  10. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    Up to today I have hated every photo or video I have seen of the new Vantage, and believed they had killed an absolutely gorgeous and timeless design. But this afternoon I brought my Vantage in for service to the Aston dealer in Palm Beach, and while there a new Vantage rolled in...silver with black top and wheels, and all glass including the windshield totally blacked out (my car's tint is the legal limit, but this was way beyond that). Anyway, the car was absolutely stunning. You really have to see the new Vantage in the flesh before forming any opinions as to the design. On the other hand the sound sucked, at least compered to my Quicksilver exhaust.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  11. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    They don't look that bad in person, they're pretty good looking but still not as timeless and beautiful as the previous generation. There is literally not a single bad line on the previous generation in my opinion.

Ryan S., rmolke85 and atomicskiracer like this.
  12. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I'll wait for an in-person view as well ... except to say that the two ass-end photos above convey ugliness to the bone!

13. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
  14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    It's a great looking car, but I think the bumper would look better if they did the DB10 style. Obviously the DB10 is not a production car, but the lines on that car are clean as is the current Vantage. It's hard for Aston to continue hitting huge home runs when they consistently make great looking cars unlike other manufacturers that are hit or miss.

Ryan S. and bobbyd like this.
  15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Agree can’t get over the design

Sent from my 16M

16. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think it's interesting looking. I think I disliked it at first, but maybe warmed up a bit. I honestly don't remember my first impression.

That said, the car is way overpriced and is going to tank just like every AM. Yeah, it's not a supercar and more of a GT, but the performance on the new Vantage has been terrible, from the few tests I saw. I wouldn't be surprised if this car is lower performance than a 599 from a decade ago.

It's small, yet it weighs 3400 lb DRY. It has less HP than a luxury sedan. It's generally gotten poor reviews as well.

It's a shame AM IPO'ed. I think they would have been a great acquisition for someone like Mercedes. They're already using all Mercedes technology anyway.

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #17 boxerman, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    I dont know what people always mean when they say "performance". These cars have way way more go than can be deployed on the street, and frankly way more than 99% of their owners will dip into without crashing. So its a paper number. Plus the aston along with pretty much every other sportscar (with rare exceptions) is a really a Gt car. So then the question should be what makes it a great GT car.

Seems like the performance is more than adequate but; What the new car is lacking is a bepoke feel, and frankly styling. The previous vantage was pretty poor dynamicaly and performance wise when it came out. The ride sucked and the real performance was simply not there, lazy motor and all. But its shape was probbaly the most well resolved of any modern in the past25 years and it was simply beautiful, without bad or jarring line in sight..

The new car performs fine, if not standout, but an aston is about style and class, and the new car simply lacks style or consequent class. The interior is busy and kitchy, the exterior has some nice lines from certain angles but is frankly a mismash, its really what I would have expected from Toyota for the new supra.
    Why would someone buy this car?

Its probably fixable over time, but how could aston get it so wrong, esp when their usp is elegant style.

How to fix it, first get rid of the supra front end, yeah it is good for aero, no one is going 180 in this car anyway. Clean up some of the other lines. And lordy redo the interior, the current one is a cluster**** of the type we now expect from the germans..
    Also based on the video it sounds like ****, fakey do V8, no euro class there.

18. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    It's the sportiest design Mazda has ever produced!

Ryan S. likes this.
  19. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Once you see the misaligned crease on the fenders and door, you won't be able to unsee it. It will be the first thing you notice every time you look at it.

20. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Nah. Not that ocd.

The thing about Aston is that it is just about the driver experience. It’s its own thing.

Not sure what about the interior is horrible but I think it works well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It isn’t too overpowered, or under featured. The ride isn’t too processed.

But it is a GT. You gotta want that.

Plus it isn’t over done by a thousand of the same thing on the street next to you.

I have a 2009 V8V that I love. Plus two Ferraris. Not the same and not even close. But the Aston is pleasing all on its own.

The new Aston is faster and still intimate, tho not as much as before, and still is unique in the experience.

SV

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I think it comes down to "why not though?" Do you think the 812 would sell well if it was downrated to 600 hp? I don't.

There's no excuse for a car in this price not to have more "go" along with the "show", whether every single person uses it or not. If you're not going to up the performance, then all you're doing is selling a design -- which is fine, but just price it as such. If there's no money dumped into the technology, then don't ask people to pay for what isn't there. It's as much as a new Audi R8.

The Vantage should be fully loaded at $120K. Unfortunately though, it starts at $150K, meaning it will go even higher once you spec it modestly.

$188K buys you a bone stock 570S. That should put some perspective on the value of the Vantage.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Good post.
    The 570 is a different customer, I think, although for sure there is overlap. To me I would never consider a new vanatge over a 570, but I'm sports/track orientated. I agree about the 812, it needs the Hp because like the aston its no looker and certainly not compeling besides the horsey, but it does have horsey.

I would considder an old vanatge simply because of its style, and while even the old v12 version of the vantage didnt have the performance measure of a Mcalren or ferrari to me its a future classic, the modern rendition of a daytona, because it has style speed and sound, not to mention a stick and timeless style.

Which brings us back to the new vanatge. if the video is to believed it sounds like a fake vette, which is cool but not fitting here. The interior is to me overly german and fiddly, frankly why not just buy a german. Which leaves us with the one thing the previous vantage had, and that was simply gorgeous styling, which for many if not most was THE single compeling reason to buy one over another marque, because the previous vantage was always an also ran in terms of pure performance numbers.

Yes i agree the current ugly duckling would sell if it had the hp/numbers, not least because so many other cars are not lookers either. But James bond was always a iron fist in classy well cut suit. Aston has lost the classy well cut suit, and as you say does not have the numbers either. Frankly this car is really just an AMG in drag. Yes performance numbers could fix is somewhat, but really the current adequate performance would be fine if it was a looker and sounded great.

But then if early spy shots are any indication the aston suv is no looker either. Frankly I think they have lost the plot, classy style was their one usp.

randkin and plastique999 like this.
  23. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    going to test vantage tomorrow, weather permitting, and will report in

24. wjw300tt

wjw300tt Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    chilliwack BC Canada

0 to 60 in 3.5 sec and you say it lacks performance?
    It's a gt not a sports car. You would rather spend your dollars on an ugly 570 instead of a classic design ........ok.
    Watch the review on Lenos garage. looks and sounds fantastic.

25. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    That interior photo above? Monochromatic dash & other panels except the black plastic "V" shaped control surfaces? Looks like a moderately priced Japanese car and not at all like an Aston Martin. Just my 2 cent opinion, but as others have said above AM's appeal has always included its classic and classy style, and to me it's not all that strong here. I don't hate it, but for the price I think it's way too generically Japanese.

Rule Britannia!