Anyone finance a used Ferrari? | FerrariChat

Anyone finance a used Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by gobble, Nov 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Looking for ideas here. I have my Lamborghini for sale and a potential buyer needs to finance the car. He's been shopping around for a lender and the best he's been able to do is a credit union that will lend 75% of the purchase price. The guy can't come up with rest plus taxes and shipping. He needs to find a lender that will finance a larger percent of the value.

I've always taken the position I shouldn't buy what I can't afford and have never financed a car so have no experience with this. Does anyone have any ideas or secrets where you'd go to finance a 14 year old exotic? Maybe a leasing company? Any other great ideas?

2. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    whats the suntrust none asset backed lender ? soundstream or something like that

3. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Lightstream. We've financed a couple cars with them, they're really easy to work with.

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  4. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
  5. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    Thanks!

6. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    We used lightstream also.

They don't require you to send them the title. It's basically a no collateral personal loan.

I'm 3 years into a 4 year note. Haven't had a single issue.

Approval was quick. Funding was almost instantaneous into my bank account -- which allowed me a lot of flexibility in actually getting the money to the car broker.
    Then entire process from application (on-line) to money in my account was less than 3 days.

I'd use them again in a heart-beat.

Sid

Merlin Auto Group likes this.
  7. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    See my reply above about Lightstream.

I financed about 90% of the purchase price of a 30 year old Ferrari with them.

Also, since they will fund your buyer first, it makes for cash/title transfer between you and him much easier. No bank or middleman or escrow required. Bank gives him cash, he gives you cash (or cash equivalent), you sign over title.

Sid

8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I used collectorcarlending.com, they are more of a bank shopper but ended up financing through Stifel. I think I put down 15 or 20%.

9. TXG23

TXG23 Karting

Sep 14, 2014
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Kell
    Woodside. 20% down for over $100k I think and various rates (not great from what I gather) at terms up to 144 months. Know a few who have done for the long term amort for a low pmt knowing they would only keep it for a few years.

Sent from my Ferrari 458 Italia

Merlin Auto Group and LARRYH like this.
  10. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Another recommendation for SunTrust / Lightstream here. As long as the FICO score is high, bank accounts/retirement accounts are funded, etc. it is a very quick process. Yes no lien on the car is great and means no extra visit to the notary. I applied online one night, was approved the next day, and had the funds in my account the following day. They will fund 100%, and you can also add sales tax, transport fee, etc. in there if you like. Doesn't make sense to finance some of those items of course, but they have some kind of reminder of these extra costs to consider when choosing the dollar amount of the loan.

11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I made a blog about it.
    Basically its either penfed or Putnam leasing for the lowest true cost. Woodside is good but they teport to credit with a ****ty apr.
    I got my testarossa like this with Putnam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Lightstream is okay- u meed to be super perfect to get in there.
    Penfed too but 100k fonanced amazing apr.
    Putnam and premier no credit reporting; great for business owners ...just watch my suggestions...not affiliated with any and i could have paid cash for mine but didnt want 100k in an old car.

13. m5guy

m5guy Formula 3

Aug 17, 2008
    Ventura, CA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Mark, I think you prospective buyer is more likely to find success using Putnam Leasing or Premier Financial (leasing.) The approval process is fast and he may be able to do a little better than the 75% LTV that his lender is willing to cover. Good luck with the sale.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  14. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If the guy can't come up with 25% down for an exotic car, he shouldn't be buying one. He can't afford the payments and maintenance.... Just sayin

ernie and anunakki like this.
  15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I totally agree! He doesn't have the 25% down. What will he do if a $8k repair bill pops up? Charge it and pay off over 6 years?

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    While this is probably true, it's NOT for us to say...every time a thread of this nature pops up, the "you can't afford it!" policia have to roll in. Not your business, not your concern.

Besides, what usually happens when that issue plays out is an amazingly priced car comes on the market that "needs $20k worth of work from Ferrari", which translates to $3k worth of work for for a wrench turner and someone else gets to win. People need to make their own mistakes (if that's what they are).

brookliner7 and anunakki like this.
  17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    IMHO.. first thing that goes through my mind is the above. He can't afford the car. But as they say carpe diem and it's not my financial decision.

I financed mine with PenFed. 5 year note, paid it off in 3.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Penfed is the best

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Yeah but..
    1. It's satisfying to say "don't do that" before the train wreck happens. It gives me a smug feeling inside. Like KNOWING that the monster is going to kidnap the hot heroine in the movie.
    2. In an ideal world the stupid decision maker goes bankrupt and the stupid underwriter eats the costs. As we have seen, the cost of stupid decisions unfairly can get passed to all of us.

RedNeck likes this.
  20. Natkingcolebasket69

Agreed that being said a ferrari can be well bought without issues.
    I had bought my testarossa for 100k from ferrari of central florida and the car needed nothing. That same car was serviced by them ans on sale for 10 months with price dropped from 129k to 100k making at the the time one of the cheapest TR for sale... ppl think cheap=problems but i had done my due diligence as much as possible wnd buying from a f dealer was the best thing i could have done!

RedNeck likes this.
  21. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    How did this thread turn into a bunch of comments that are not at all helpful? You guys know nothing about this buyer.

You think if someone works hard their entire life and retires with income coming in but assets tied up they shouldn’t be able to treat themself to something they’ve always wanted? A car that will be worth the same 10 years from now as it is today and isn’t at all expensive to maintain if you have some DIY skills.

Anyway it’s done. One of the recommendations worked.

Dave rocks and RedNeck like this.
  22. Natkingcolebasket69

I gave u a full video explaining how to finance which i did myself so can’t be more helpful than that

Xtreme5053 likes this.
  23. Merlin Auto Group

Merlin Auto Group Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2016
    Atlanta
    Woodside Credit and Lightstream are both lenders that we often refer individuals to. Woodside will require 20% down. PenFed has worked well for many individuals as well. He could also set it up as a lease with Premier Financial Services. It's not vastly dissimilar to financing when it all shakes out. They will still want cash down, but will be flexible depending on his credit profile.

24. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You should carry the note because good chance you get the car back in a year...

25. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004

What's the catch? High rates? Difficult qualifying?