Thoughts on this manual 360? | FerrariChat

Thoughts on this manual 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Sox Fan, Nov 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I inquired about this car when i was searching for a black gated 360. I didn't go for it because they don't have any records for the car from previous owners, and they aren't negotiable, Also the low mileage scares me, i come from the Porsche school where its better to have a well maintained higher mileage car than a low mileage garage queen. I ended up finding a 2004 with records and all services done w 42k miles for a little bit less than this price & couldn't be happier.

Sox Fan likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    360s dont really have any vulnerabilities motor wise and nothing to worry about tranny wise. factor in a major service and go from there. seems like a good car if its clean. 12 or 40k miles its the same thing - since 99 both are low...buy it, have a major done, and enjoy.

Sox Fan likes this.
  3. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I have consistently seen that this seller always has overpriced cars, in my humble & real world opinion.

LorenzoR and KC360 FL like this.
  4. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Not entirely true....better check those exhaust cam variators and 6 bolt starter ring gear especially on a 99 model.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I wouldn't necessarily pass on a deal based on the ring gear. Have 43k on the original clutch (3-pedal) and ring gear. At this point not going to pull the tranny until it needs the clutch. YMMV.

6. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    As someone who's always looking for a great deal, I wouldn't either; however, the other poster said no motor vulnerabilities so I just wanted to set that straight.

The ring gear is hit or miss and most have had no issues with the 3 bolt version but that's not to say that it's faultless or else Ferrari wouldn't have come out with an update.

The variators, if confirmed original and during the years and build number in question, I'd think twice about the car or it'd have to be a really good deal for me to consider it.

7. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    Any Ferrari dealer can confirm if the variator campaign has been done. I had FoA run the VIN before I bought my '99 to confirm the variators were done. The dealer can also check if any of the other campaigns are still outstanding.

8. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agree.

With the OP car if the belts need replacing then easy enough to check/replace the variators.

9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Black on black is a deal killer for me... but I live in Florida. Shields, seats, not a big deal for me. But I agree with Jaime, seems a little high. I don't see these cars, F1 or 3 pedal, going up in price. I still follow the market on the 360's and there are a lot to choose from and none moving too fast into the sold mode.
    Plus I never like the first year iteration of a new model-- lots of factory evolution in many areas in the subsequent models. But admittedly, not as much with a 3 pedal car.

Bottom line if you love this car, buy it. If you think you are compromising color, seats, shields, then keep looking. Buying a car you love in the color combination you love with the options you want will never seem like the wrong thing to do.

Jakuzzi and DefunctNeurons like this.
  10. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    I’d mainly be concerned with what’s been mentioned already plus proof of actual mileage. I researched many cars this year - 360’s and 430’s - and many weren’t convincing on mileage advertise compared to seat wear and other things. But manuals are definitely going for higher prices, so sounds in the ballpark to me if all else looks good. 360’s get more beautiful with time. Becoming a real classic in my worthless opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Nicely specced.
    Personally not crazy about the Nero exterior.
    But other love it.

Didn’t 99s also have a problem with the engine cage/frame cracking or something?

12. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    If the mileage is true I'd be concerned it's been a garage queen. Mileage really is too low for 19 years old car! Averaging only 600 miles a year I'd worry about all kinds of things siezing and generally being worse for the lack of use. If you actually intend to use it then you may be in for a big surprise bill to make it drive properly!

The protective oil drains from the heads if left too long between driving and it's not pretty. The suspension sags, the tires go blocky. Etc.

Personally I just don't get this thing about buying a car based only on mileage. Condition now and last services and parts recently fitted are paramount. Guess many think just because it's done low mileage all those bushes in the suspension, rollbars, engine, gearbox, etc will be fine. Wrong they also decay with age and actually have better lifespan if the car is regularly used...

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #14 360trev, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    It was a factory led dealer fix.. surely must have been corrected now if it's got full main dealer sh. Very easy to see if it's on a ramp with trays off

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  14. Texas Turbo

Texas Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Looks nice... I agree with those who are concerned about the low mileage. Once sorted it would be a very nice long-term keeper.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Sport Seats. They are relatively rare and very important in my opinion, I couldn't imagine my car without them. A 360 with Sport Seats and 3 pedals is one of the most fun and pure driving experiences available today.

You're not likely to find many other clean, low mileage manual cars with sport seats so you may want to consider if the seats are an important factor for you or not.

Good luck!

Sox Fan likes this.
  15. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I like the car! Maybe because it is an older brother of mine that is similar. I don't have those awesome seats though. They come in 3 sizes S/M/L so maybe have the seller tell you what size they are before considering if they are right for you. I have heard that them being too big isnt really a problem but if you are a big guy the smalls might not feel great to you. Valuable enough that you will come out way ahead if you want to sell them for something different.

My engine was still breaking in up to about 12K miles or it seemed to get better at that point so if the car was cared for not a problem. Also my clutch appears almost new at ~14k miles so the parts themselves are not weak by any measure. It's the owners that make or break the cars.

Black cars are pretty sexy on their own and there is no real substitute for the black car presence if it's clean. Clean comes at a price though so it's the time that you will put into it to keep it to your level of presentation. For me this is pat of the hobby of ownership, part of the routine of driving. I cant always go for a drive due to time constraints or the weather but I can always go and detail something on my car.

16. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    That car has been for sale for more than 8 months. The dealer is suppose to be reputable. I passed on this car as I thought it was to much $$$ for the car and didn’t have the options I wanted and wrong color.