1981 308 GTSi rich condition | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1981 308 GTSi rich condition

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sickly308GTSi, Oct 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    FWIW. There is a way to check to see if the cam has jumped timing without removing the valve covers. Looks for the TDC mark on the flywheel for the 1-4 bank under the inspection cover. Bring the engine to TDC and see if the #1 cylinder will hold air pressure. You can do the same with the #5 cylinder as well. Remember to rotate the engine one turn as needed to make sure you are at TDC and not on exhaust stroke. This should give you some idea if the cam timing has jumped compare results from 1 to 5.

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #27 johnk..., Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    At TDC on the compression stroke both intake and exhaust valves are closed and have been or will remain closed for a while. The exhaust won't open until about 130 after TDC and the intake will have been closed since about 130 degrees before TDC. Jumping a few teeth won't matter. So unless the belts have jumped a lot of teeth, the valves will still be close at TDC on compression. If a belt has jumped enough to have a valve open at TDC on compression, you probably have bigger problems, like bent valves.

I'll revise that a little. If it were the exhaust cam that jumped, then then it would close late and you would probably have a bent exhaust valve. So then you might see the inability to hold pressure. But, obviously, much bigger problems,.

3. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    John, I agree with your analysis. What I may not have said clearly is compare cylinder 1 to 5. Check the range in degrees the crank can be rotated before and after TDC and hold pressure. If it is different in crank degrees you could have a tooth or more.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    That's reasonable. A bit of a pain in the butt, but it should work. I'd suggest using the cam timing to check the angles. As I posted, exhaust opens about 130 after TDC and intake closes about 130 before TDC. But check actually cam timing specs for exact numbers. They are different on Euro and US cars and probably different on carb cars, 2V injected and QVs.

5. Sickly308GTSi

Sickly308GTSi Rookie

Oct 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    OK guys I must apologize for the extremely late reply. Life has been extremely chaotic lately. I am extremely happy to report that the car can now be reported as diagnosed and fixed! As it turns out, we had a bad catalytic converter that was prohibiting exhaust flow. My father-in-law dropped the exhaust, fired it up and it screamed to the redline as it should! I thoroughly appreciate all of you who stuck with us and helped with suggestions. We learned a lot from you!

6. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Thanks for the update. Hope it all works out for you.

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    May I ask which hole is it? here every day you learn something…

Thank you very much!

ciao

8. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The hole is on the fuel distributor. From memory it is located next to the air cleaner on top of the fuel distributor. You remove the plug (screw) to adjust the idle mixture and then reseal it to check air-fuel mixture.

9. fletch62

fletch62 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Fairhope, AL
    Full Name:
    Larry Fletcher
    That is not the fuel distributor, it is the air flow meter, the part the fuel distributor is bolted to.
    You need to contact me and I can go over the injection with you I have a pretty good idea the seals in the fuel distributor are going bad.

Larry Fletcher
    CIS Flow Tech

Gordo308, waymar and 308 milano like this.